Prospect Info: Play Bad for Ekblad? (the 2014 draft thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
He seems to have the PK Subban attitude, but that could be a positive thing here. I wouldn't mind grabbing him if we could double dip in the first or if he drops to the 2nd round.

Given the personalities of the GM and coach we just hired, I'd say the chances of us taking Josh Ho-Sang before the fifth round are roughly negative.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'd take a flyer on at least one goalie every year, if possible. Stick with position players for the first 2 rounds, then from the 3rd round on look for guys that have some quality that suggests they can make it. That position more so than any other seems like such a crapshoot, so if the value matches up, take the ones you like and hope one pops. I really like Altshuller though, I'm excited to see what he can do in Charlotte this year.

McDonald is an interesting prospect, based on my limited reattach, I think he may be my favorite in the draft. From what I can tell though, he projects to be a 2nd round pick so we'd probably have to take him at 37, or trade down a bit if we're feeling lucky.

And I second that Ollie, I've always liked Virtanen more than Ritchie. It'd be nice to have more information about his shoulder and other's who have had the same surgery and how they were able to recover. I know Ritchie had a shoulder issue that caused him to miss a couple months a year ago, and one report said it required surgery, but I haven't been able to find anything else that confirms that.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
There was a decent article making the rounds yesterday about Ho-Sang. He's a REALLY confident guy and a solid amount of teams have flat out said they won't touch him in any round even though he has 1st round talent. It's hard to say if the Canes are one of those teams or not. Once I get home from class I'll post the link to that article for you.

EDIT: Here's that Ho-Sang article- Link

And another article about Ho-Sang. To me he just sounds like a typical teenager that had hippy parents.

There is some unwritten rule that all hockey players must act like stoic 1950 father of 3's working 12 hour days at the mill. It's garbage.

Personally, I think it's just a discomfort with other cultures. Whether it's Russian, Black, or even plain old fashion teenagers being teenagers. If you don't act like a simpleton farm boy or a hockey playing robot, old white men get their knickers all twisted.

Re Goalies: Unless you are getting a goalie with serious pedigree, there doesn't seem to be a lot of value in picking them early. With the amount of diamonds in the rough to be found in later rounds, as free agents, plucking from other teams, over seas, etc...

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
There is some unwritten rule that all hockey players must act like stoic 1950 father of 3's working 12 hour days at the mill. It's garbage.

Personally, I think it's just a discomfort with other cultures. Whether it's Russian, Black, or even plain old fashion teenagers being teenagers. If you don't act like a simpleton farm boy or a hockey playing robot, old white men get their knickers all twisted.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

bluedevil58*

This reminds of Nich all over again. We better not sign Kapanen!!!! I swear if we do I am going to flip out.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
This reminds of Nich all over again. We better not sign Kapanen!!!! I swear if we do I am going to flip out.

Do you know anything about the draft?

Players are drafted, then signed. You're going to flip out no matter what RF does. It's just what you do.

bluedevil58*

Do you know anything about the draft?

Players are drafted, then signed. You're going to flip out no matter what RF does. It's just what you do.

If we Draft a.smurf or an offensive d man I am going to be upset. I am fine with Virt, Ritchie, or Fluery with the 7th pick. That's not being unrealistic.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
Hunter Smith at 7th overall he's 6 feet 7 inches tall and has an impressive beard IDK he's cute in like, a lumberjack way?

.@nhlcanes i was watching nhl's draft profile on nick ritchie and now my britches are hurting my waist???

CaniacSZN

May 20, 2013
Little late in the Fleury discussion from a couples day ago but I was watching the draft profiles videos on the Canes site. Tony Macdonald said Fleury would be the safe pick at 7 but Darren Yorke said they will take the BPA on there list. So I don't think it'll be Fleury we draft. Of course Ron Francis makes the decision and that could mean nothing what they said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad