Prospect Info: Play Bad for Ekblad? (the 2014 draft thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Getting back to that earlier trade proposal. I'd like to keep #7 as well, but would also trade it for young, "ready now" players who have upside. That being said, maybe something like:

Cam Ward
Jiri Tlusty

for

Backlund
Baertschi

We end up w/a solid 3c (with upside) and a "who knows" with Baertschi, plus we drop an onerous contract. The trade is really something like Ward and #97 for Baertschi and #37 and Tlusty for Backlund (which even though is likely an over payment, the extra Ward salary makes up for it).

Tlusty is clearly a valuable young player who'd I'd rather not lose, but this might be necessary to clear the decks of the Ward contract. All of this assumes we don't mind risking Cam coming back as his old self.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I can see that as well. Even a trade back to get him is what I think will happen.

I still think that deal with Anaheim that was floated would make sense there, the #10 and the #23 (I think?) for the #7. Canes take Fleury at 10, solidifying our defensive prospects in a big way, and at #23 take one of Tuch (though he probably won't be there), Kempe, Lemieux, or for more skilled guys Barbashev, Vrana, or Ho Sang.

Even if we can't lock in Sekera going forward we'd still be looking at having Faulk, Fleury, Murphy, Carrick, Pesce, Slavin, Lowe, and Biega as possible to likely contributors going forward.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Just fyi (and not that it means anything)...Fleury is the guy they profiled on CH.com today. They've done Ekblad, Draisatl, Dal Colle, and Bennett previously.

I suspect in coming weeks we'll see the likes of Nylander, Kapanen, Richie, Virtanen, Ehlers, etc...

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I still think Anaheim doesn't bite unless they REALLY like someone, or someone falls.

I think the trade down scenario is with somebody who's itching for one of Virtanen, Ritchie, Ehlers, or Nylander OR Dal Colle falls. Then I think the best bet would be somebody like Arizona (okay, Phoenix for you luddites) or perhaps Buffalo in a deal w/a player and multiple 2nds. The only other options that I see are Nashville and possibly Tampa Bay. But who knows...there are a number of teams w/multiple 2nd and 3rd round picks.

wolfofthesteppes

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Magic Theater
Just fyi (and not that it means anything)...Fleury is the guy they profiled on CH.com today. They've done Ekblad, Draisatl, Dal Colle, and Bennett previously.

I suspect in coming weeks we'll see the likes of Nylander, Kapanen, Richie, Virtanen, Ehlers, etc...

If they do this as in past years (alphabetically), and it appears that they are, we are not getting one for Ehlers

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I still think that deal with Anaheim that was floated would make sense there, the #10 and the #23 (I think?) for the #7. Canes take Fleury at 10, solidifying our defensive prospects in a big way, and at #23 take one of Tuch (though he probably won't be there), Kempe, Lemieux, or for more skilled guys Barbashev, Vrana, or Ho Sang.

Even if we can't lock in Sekera going forward we'd still be looking at having Faulk, Fleury, Murphy, Carrick, Pesce, Slavin, Lowe, and Biega as possible to likely contributors going forward.

I would be tickled to get Fleury and Tuch or Ho-Sang

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008

Well, the draft is in seven days, so maybe not "weeks." Also, they won't do them on weekends, so I think we'll get one tomorrow, then 3, 4 or 5 next week.

Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisatl, Ekblad, 6/20 Kapanen? 6/23 Nylander? 6/24 Perlini? 6/25 Reinhart? 6/26 Ritchie? 6/27(draft day) Virtanen?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tuch or somebody instead of Virtanen. He seems to be really sliding. Or they may not do one on draft day at all. Or they may not do Reinhart since he won't be there. But none of the first four guys will be there, either. Maybe we are trading up?

If they do this as in past years (alphabetically), and it appears that they are, we are not getting one for Ehlers

Also, less surprisingly, no Kevin Fiala or Robby Fabbri.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
I wasn't a huge fan of picking Virtanen at 7 even before it was announced his surgery.

I haven't seen a lot of the guys who are around our pick range, but from the little I have I think Nylander would be my pick if he's there.

One guy I think would be a good later round pick is Alexis Vanier from Baie-Comeau Drakkar. He's big(6'5") and was leading his team in scoring before he got injured halfway through the year. Some resources say he's got skating issues but others say his skating is fine, either way seems like a good pick.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere

Nylander is actually not on the list.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
If we come out of the draft with Fleury and Barbashev I'll do cart wheels.

Also, OT, wasn't there a report or something very negative about Ho-Sang? Or am I dreaming up stuff?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I wasn't a huge fan of picking Virtanen at 7 even before it was announced his surgery.

I haven't seen a lot of the guys who are around our pick range, but from the little I have I think Nylander would be my pick if he's there.

One guy I think would be a good later round pick is Alexis Vanier from Baie-Comeau Drakkar. He's big(6'5") and was leading his team in scoring before he got injured halfway through the year. Some resources say he's got skating issues but others say his skating is fine, either way seems like a good pick.

I'd have a tough choice between Virtanen and Nylander and would be happy with either for different reasons. But if you haven't seen the Virtanen Combine interview, it might change your mind. Kid has poise and confidence....and seems very sharp.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=622712

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Nylander is actually not on the list.

I was just going by this post by Mike Smith from CH.com from a while back. I have / had no idea which of the guys they were (or were) not going to do a profile on.

Discarding the unpredictability of trades and assuming the above, the Canes would then be looking at forward options such as Nikolaj Ehlers, Kasperi Kapanen, William Nylander, Brendan Perlini, Nick Ritchie and Jake Virtanen and a defensive option such as Haydn Fleury. As of publishing this, we have yet to profile any of these players (great planning!), but most will be forthcoming as the Draft draws nearer.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723032

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
No Nylander is surprising to me. Then again, Ronnie knew his dad so maybe he doesn't want to go down that road again. I bet we'd be surprised at some of the guys who ended up on the Canes's "don't draft" list, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander is on it.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm gonna stick win my original wish for Ritchie. I think we're lucky if he's still there to be honest. I think someone is gonna step up early and take him. He may be one of the early surprises that leads to someone dropping to us we weren't expecting.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes Jun 11
@dabrams2021 Our 10 in alphabetical order: Bennett, Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Ekblad, Fleury, Kapanen, Perlini, Reinhart, Ritchie, Virtanen.

Ah, thanks. A bit of a surprise that Nylander is not their given their recent focus in Sweden. Something must have turned them off.

Other than the top couple of guys and Kapanen i do notice it's all big guys. I guess Francis is serious about adding size.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm gonna stick win my original wish for Ritchie. I think we're lucky if he's still there to be honest. I think someone is gonna step up early and take him. He may be one of the early surprises that leads to someone dropping to us we weren't expecting.

If he's not there at 7, it means Dal Colle probably is.

Personally, I'd be in favor of this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad