Plan B for Fixing Penn Station Would Wrap Madison Square Garden in Glass

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Best location? Parking for the average Jane/Joe is atrocious unless you know the hacks/tricks of the trade.

It's about the arena being the best and on ice performance.

We all love it because the Rangers play there and it has a super cool roof. From and out of towner perspective it's expensive and difficult.

What area would be better? It’s currently near Penn, GCT, various subways, and the west side highway if you drive. metro trains from the east, west and north - which is where all the people actually live. Not to mention you can just go out for a drink after to let the crowds die down if you want.

They’re not going to build a Hockly only stadium for several billion dollars. It’ll be the same new arena, with events 85% of the days - with an even larger emphasis on branding/partnerships, and cramming $$ makers into the building

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
What area would be better? It’s currently near Penn, GCT, various subways, and the west side highway if you drive. metro trains from the east, west and north - which is where all the people actually live. Not to mention you can just go out for a drink after to let the crowds die down if you want.

They’re not going to build a Hockly only stadium for several billion dollars. It’ll be the same new arena, with events 85% of the days - with an even larger emphasis on branding/partnerships, and cramming $$ makers into the building

Yeah I'm not exactly sure how they could be in a better location for fans to get to. I guess street parking is difficult? But what stadium or arena in the area are you 1. finding street parking en masse or 2. not paying $30-40+ for a lot next to the stadium/arena? You move the arena anywhere away from its current location and you're alientating some portion of fans outside the city whether its to the west, east, or north.

I wouldn't personally care if they moved the arena across 7th avenue like an MSG spokesman speculated on a few months back but moving the arena and rebuilding Penn will cost billions upon billions that'll either fall on taxpayers, fall on the fans in terms of ticket prices and concessions, or more likely both. Prices already went up a ton when they renovated the building so you better believe they'll go up again with a new arena.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This is silly. The concourses in the new stadium are wider, the food is better, and the bathrooms are better. Out of those three improvements, the only one I actually care about as a tailgater is the bathrooms.

The new stadium has zero personality.
The old stadium was Giants Stadium in every conceivable way. The new stadium might as well be a neutral field. The old stadium had the spirals and the escalators that went straight to the top. The new stadium has long-ass ramps and a series of escalators to get to the top.

I haven't missed a Giants home game since 1999, so I've been to both stadiums many, many times. The new stadium sucks.
The prices increases stink. That is a given. But isn't a wider concourse and better food a good thing?

Honestly the NY Metro Area (I need to emphasize the metro part or the angry "we're the only true NY team" Bills fans will enter the chat) NFL stadium has never ever been a draw. Out of towners come to Yankee, MSG, a few to Shea and definitely now Citi for arena draw.

The old stadium has blue and Bill Parcells/Lawrence Taylor/Phill Simms memories. It's not that different.

Once again, the price increases stink. I acknowledge that and it's why I average about once concert every seven years in that particular venue.

I'd say by a highway, Grand Central, Upper East Side.

There's so much land that has potential but building anything in Manhattan is quite difficult. Most outdated infrastructure maybe in all of North America.

And yes I'm aware by a highway=traffic and congestion. It's a massive project.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
As a Giants STH, completely disagree. New stadium sucks. Give me back Giants Stadium with the escalators to each tier. With tailgating, I could not care less about the concessions.
As a jets sth I also agree. Maybe a redo of the lower rows in the upper deck so they don't flood in the rain. You don't spend $1.6 billion for better food. For that money a dome and a direct train from Penn was needed at a minimum. And most jet fans are still bitter over the west side stadium.

Reactions: nyrmetros

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
All I know is I was at MetLife for Metallica in the beginning of August (twice) and I thought the venue was atrocious. The concession options were pitiful as compared to MSG and the concourses resembled a factory in a movie or video game where you might have to fight zombies. I was there in 2016 fir GnR as well- I think I prefer the old Giants Stadium.

Same thoughts from the Metallica show.....

Reactions: Cygnus 2112

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
The city and the MTA shouldn't be allowed to do a single project until they learn how the balance a check book and think of any other idea to fund a project that's not bending Staten Island over for something that won't help them.

Biggest crooks in the country.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
We need through running on our commuter rail systems. They need to be unified to create 1 massive e system.

On paper this sounds great but its near close to impossible logistically without re-engineering railroad technology across the LIRR, Metro North, etc.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
This is going to be an absolute disaster because Pat Foye's hands are all over it

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
This is the SOP for MTA. Just business as usual. Under budget, every project and cry that they have no money.
Assume you meant over budget but yes.

That agency shouldn't see another dime of taxpayer subsidy until it cuts 20% of its non operating budget. That means don't cut people who maintain things or bus and subway operators. Start with management that makes over a buck ten / year and reduce the headcount of those positions 10%.

The MTA consistently spends money it doesn't have, plays the "operating vs. capital budget" scam constantly, then constantly cries broke and begs for bailouts. It then approves (late) raises to underperforming managers which are largely clawed back by the state through bonus taxes (taxes on retro pay from previous years is considered a "bonus"), then rinses and repeats constantly.

And not one capital project ever comes in on time or under budget, or when it does, it's all smoke and mirrors, it leaks, and they spend the first 6 months of the new thing being "open" closing it on weekends for maintenance to actually finish the work they rushed through for the PR photoshoot.

The disdain I have for that agency is voluminous. If only we could get a real governor someday, who'd place that agency in long overdue receivership and use it to force the cuts needed to stop the longest running scam in NYC.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad