GWT: PL Matchweek 6

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Are people really expecting this of Chelsea? Chelsea path to the league is winning every game 1-0
Given the talent they have to come out and try to defend like they did today is shameful. Cholo like in their lack of ambition.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Chelsea ranks 7th in xG which I would not call completely fine. Liverpool, City, United, West Ham, Everton, and Brentford are all ahead of them. Wolves may also be after they play their next game. If Everton, Brentford, and Wolves attack more given the disparity in money spent I would call that a problem.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think you are being way too harsh on him. It should be completely fine to sit further back in specific games.

They've won 3-0 thrice so far. You're smarter than this man.
Yes Chelsea can put up big margins because they have a ton of individual talent, but this is a team that wants to score first then go into a shell

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Why do they even bother?

Good come from behind win for West Ham, looked like it was going to be a frustrating day. They didn't handle Leeds pressure well, but they had chances all match. Meslier played well.
They are a well ran Championship club who just doesn't have enough money to stay up.

It is what it is. They don't spend what they can't afford. Beats going in to administration like Derby.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Norwich's manager is out of his depth. They have the players to hang on I think. Might be too late already if they don't get rid of him.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
They are a well ran Championship club who just doesn't have enough money to stay up.

It is what it is. They don't spend what they can't afford. Beats going in to administration like Derby.
I mean, with all of these promotion and parachute payments from going up and down, surely they could spend more than their record transfer fee of £9M? I get that they aren't going to throw around silly money, nor should they, but they seem content to come up and go right back down. Are they giving it a legit shot? I don't think so.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I mean, with all of these promotion and parachute payments from going up and down, surely they could spend more than their record transfer fee of £9M? I get that they aren't going to throw around silly money, nor should they, but they seem content to come up and go right back down. Are they giving it a legit shot? I don't think so.
I imagine pandemic and having no fans last season is a factor.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
We're the team you never knew you loved

When I started watching the PL back in 2004, I decided to watch a full season before picking a team to follow. I did not want to cherry pick ManU/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal, I am not that kinda fan. I wanted to watch a fun team. Given that I had a bias against the game for being slow and low scoring, I wanted a club that pressed the action and could win or lose 3-2. Spurs had the most combined goals for and against in the league that year, maybe not a great way to pick a squad, but they were entertaining and it grew my interest to where it is now.

Reminds me of them, 100%. New fans should pick them.

Reactions: Jack Straw

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Have Chelsea ever played attractive football? They have been the ultimate ultra-defensive team since Roman took over aside from two seasons under Sarri and Lampard.

The Zola and Petrescu years were quite a treat to watch. Also had Dennis Wise playing in central midfield, the kind of player who'd get carded nowadays every game haha. But they were entertaining.

City's press killed Chelsea today. It didn't help them to start that ultra defensive squad, even Alonso looked like a real left back this game. The more positive squad won, which is always good for the game.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not a great start for Ole. Especially if he wants to prove he isn’t out of his depth(which he is tactically). He’s done some unbelievable work off the field it’s looking like the same song and dance with him again.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The Zola and Petrescu years were quite a treat to watch. Also had Dennis Wise playing in central midfield, the kind of player who'd get carded nowadays every game haha. But they were entertaining.

City's press killed Chelsea today. It didn't help them to start that ultra defensive squad, even Alonso looked like a real left back this game. The more positive squad won, which is always good for the game.
I liked some of those pre-Roman teams with Zola, Wise, Hasselbaink, Di Matteo, Poyet, Desailly, LeBouef, LeSaux, Gudjohnsen, young John Terry, etc...

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Those Barcelona reject fullbacks are among the worst players in the league and they didn't come cheap. Semedo and Junior Firpo are absolutely awful.

Marcal was also a terrible addition for Wolves.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
If you combine the talent on these 2 squads into one squad, they might finish top half

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
The defending from Bednarek and Salisu on the Jimenez goal is just absolutely ridiculous. Watch it if you have time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad