GWT: PL Matchweek 2

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
People here judge Arsenal's squad through how individuals are performing during a period when a collective is not performing.
I'm shocked this has never progressed here in years.
Even more shocked to see that some Liverpool fans are guilty of that.
How many of their players were considered great or world class BEFORE joining Liverpool?
Thiago? Fabinho? Allison?
That's about it.
Heck, even THEIR OWN players suddenly became great under Klopp.
You swap Klopp and Arteta without changing players, I say this Arsenal team is ranked above the Liverpool team in less than 2 years.
One makes a team overachieve, one makes it underachieve. But that also works for individuals.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H and AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Under Arteta, Arsenal were only 6 points off top 4 last season. 2nd most points in the the league between boxing day and the end of the season. Partey, ESR, Pepe, Lacazette, Tierney and Gabriel all missed about half of the season because of injury. Aubameyang had malaria and we only had Ødeegard for 9 games. Even with Arteta, how people can think Arsenal are miles off top 4 is beyond me.

Reactions: S E P H

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
With Arteta, Arsenal has no shot at top 4.
I agree with that. But we were only 6 points off last season with lots of circumstances going against us. To pretend we wouldn’t have a chance with a better manager is lunacy.

Reactions: S E P H

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

In part, it sounds like they’re going through a bit of what United went through when SAF left. Everything United did went through SAF and when he left the systems weren’t in place to properly run a club. They floundered around a while and failed pretty hard a few times. Seems like they’re mostly past it now, but time will tell. Not that I mean OGS is the answer, but rather that the systems in place around the club seem much more functional, there appears to be a sane transfer policy, etc. so that even if OGS isn’t it tactically, a new manager could come in and have a chance at success.

Arsenal are similar. When Wenger left there were massive holes all over the club. They’ve floundered for a bit, and seem to be trying to make another Wenger in giving Arteta so much control despite him having done absolutely nothing to earn it. They also seem to have had far more patience than United had, probably in part because they were used to mediocrity for so long and Top 4 + CL16 was seen as an accomplishment, but that just seems to have made it take longer to identify the actual dysfunction and address it. The fact that Arteta was given so much control over transfer this summer and is maybe just starting to begin to feel his seat warm up slightly is absurd. There’s a pretty good chance they start the season 0-3 while being out scored 6, 7, or even 8 nil over that time.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Anyone have a monthly promo code for DAZN Canada? I thought I saw one for 20% off advertised somewhere.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
We definitely are too far afield.

I certainly concede, with a couple of windows, any good manager, with support, would make improvements on the squad. A better manager would get more out of some of what is there. That's sure. But you're making my point for me. Look at the roster Klopp inherited, and look at the roster that Klopp won anything with.

lineup-2020-10-15T093922.119.png

Shit man, how many of the bench players are even in and around the team now? Basically, Origi, Henderson and Milner, and the rest are gone.

Are there players Klopp, or Pep or whomever could work with on Arsenal? Sure. They're closer to a top 4 side talent wise than the above trash Liverpool had. But just as likely, they're going to need to make a full overhaul to get anywhere close to winning anything.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
How about a f***ing Arsenal thread?

I had news about Arsenal today, know where I put it? In the Arsenal thread.

So much bluster over a mid-table (at best) club

Kind of weird how almost every thread around here somehow turns into an Arsenal thread. I guess that's what happens when you're "mighty".

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
We definitely are too far afield.

I certainly concede, with a couple of windows, any good manager, with support, would make improvements on the squad. A better manager would get more out of some of what is there. That's sure. But you're making my point for me. Look at the roster Klopp inherited, and look at the roster that Klopp won anything with.

lineup-2020-10-15T093922.119.png

Shit man, how many of the bench players are even in and around the team now? Basically, Origi, Henderson and Milner, and the rest are gone.

Are there players Klopp, or Pep or whomever could work with on Arsenal? Sure. They're closer to a top 4 side talent wise than the above trash Liverpool had. But just as likely, they're going to need to make a full overhaul to get anywhere close to winning anything.
It's a laughable comparison. I can't even believe it's being made.

Yes, it's not news that a good manager will improve a team; but a good manager still needs good, or elite (depending on goals) players, and Arsenal are short on those. Mane was highly regarded, Firmino was considered one of the best players in the BuLi, Salah was one of the best players in Serie A, Thiago well known elite, Fabinho highly regarded, van Dijk highly regarded (and I already said before he joined Liverpool he was arguably the best CB in the league), Robertson looked great before joining, Alisson highly regarded, Henderson one of the most underrated players in the league long before Klopp came (and I argued for years to this effect). As demonstrated above this is not really close to the same team that Klopp started with, and almost every player on the team was highly regarded before joining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad