Speculation: PK Subban - Potentially Best Defenseman in Habs history?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Not today based on accomplishments yet (he's still early in his career, obviously).

But do you believe that 10-15 years from now, assuming PK continues being as good as he's been and stays with the Habs, he will be looked at as the best d-man in Habs history?

If projecting so far in the future is too hard (whose to say he doesn't start sucking and retire in a yr or get injured after all), do you feel at least as though today, he is already the most *talented* d-man in habs history, or the one with most potential?

Personally, I strongly, strongly believe he is. But I will admit that I am young, in my lower 30s, so didn't witness first hand some of the older great teams plays. Nonetheless, judging solely by stats and my perception of some of these guys and what i've heard, I believe Subban has the potential to surpass them all.

Thoughts?

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
Some people are gonna crucify you for this thread, so I'm gonna go lightly.

He could be there one day, but based on what we've seen, no.

Doug Harvey, Guy Lapointe, Larry Robinson, Serge Savard, etc.

It's hard to compare different eras, but Subban still has holes in his game that remove him from the conversation. Now, does he have the potential to be up there when it's all said and done? Definitely.

ourobouros

Sep 29, 2009
He has the possibility, certainly, like you and me, to be the best in his field. Will he, will you? Probably not.

Davebo*

Could he be? Sure, if he stays on course.

Is he - now? Hell no!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not even close, sorry.

He hasn't revolutionized the game like Harvey nor is he feared like Robinson.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Uh, as touched on in the recent past, Subban is finally holding his own against the comparisons to guys like Desjardins, but there's quite a gap to bridge on the way past Chelios, Robinson, Harvey, etc.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Not even close, sorry.

He hasn't revolutionized the game like Harvey nor is he feared like Robinson.

I definitely think Subban is feared. The NYR worked very very hard to neutralize him. He was their game plan. He's just feared for a different reason than Robinson.

Robinson could make bone headed plays too. Savard never made a mistake. Unbelievable defenseman. I never saw Harvey, but like you said he revolutionized the game.

I think Subban could end up as the highest scoring defenseman in Habs history, and he's one of the most electrifying players I've ever seen.

He's not yet there, but he's at least earning his way into the conversation.

Right now, I think Savard and Harvey stay top 2.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
i like it.

he needs to find his old form, and spend more time studying the game than in the gym.

he'll be top 5, but man o man, how nice would it be if he took his game to another level. wow.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
I definitely think Subban is feared. The NYR worked very very hard to neutralize him. He was their game plan. He's just feared for a different reason than Robinson.

Robinson could make bone headed plays too. Savard never made a mistake. Unbelievable defenseman. I never saw Harvey, but like you said he revolutionized the game.

I think Subban could end up as the highest scoring defenseman in Habs history, and he's one of the most electrifying players I've ever seen.

He's not yet there, but he's at least earning his way into the conversation.

Right now, I think Savard and Harvey stay top 2.

Robinson was feared and respected. Saw a clip yesterday of him going into a scrum with the leafs (4 of them) to talk Eddie Shack of a cliff (was gonna kill a ref)... imagine Subban doing that... he'd be gang tackled.

Savard would likely have been considered the best D ever if he hadn't been injured early in his career. Harvey revolutionized the position.

I doubt PK is able to put up the numbers that Robinson did. He'll be in the top 5 or 6, but Harvey, Savard, Robinson, Lapointe, Laperierre... tough to get a head in that list ...Multiple Cups and Norris's are needed to get there.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...Doug Harvey is arguably the 2nd best defenceman to ever play the game...Subban's got a looooooooooooonnnnnggg way to go to even get a mention as one of the Habs Top 5...let's put this one to bed, shall we, before haters from other areas show up to poke about...;)

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
That being said, I see him in the all-time lineup when all is said and done.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

yes...he is better than bobby orr.....that's just evolution. But best habs d-man in history per era....not there yet I don't think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad