Pj Axelsson

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
I have three game-worn Bruins jerseys that I'll keep forever and one of them is his.

wandk128

Oct 14, 2008
Not sure I have anything new to add. Off-the-charts hockey sense! Was underappreciated by a lot of the younger/ casual fans I think. He always seemed nice to us fans, Wives carnival table tennis was fun, though not as intense as Sturm was. He's in my top 5 favorite Bruins of my lifetime

disfigured

Mar 29, 2003
Lowell MA
Back in the day when ever there was "favorite Bruin" poll I'd vote for P.J rather than one of our more offensive yet forgetful forwards.

P.J played nearly all aspects of the game correctly. Wanna talk about decision making, he never made a bad one. You'd have to go a week of games before you saw him do something even remotely irresponsible. Sort of like a Bergy without the offensive prowess.

Any given shift he did everything to throw a monkey wrench into the other team's plans. All without getting out of position, which is another thorn in their side, the guy was practically never "beaten" by a player of similar size and speed. What we now call "gap control" and "stick position" was simply a natural part of his game.

I don't know if there's an equivalent these days. Imagine a europlayer not using his skating and stick abilities for offensive, but for defense almost exclusively.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
A lot of Eriksson's defensive game reminded me of PJ. Always in the right position. Uncanny ability to break up passes. Always seemed to come away with the puck.

Just a treat to watch.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
PJ was great...nothing I say should be read as critical of him. At the end, we continuously played him in spots he didnt belong (pp, last two minutes when down by one, etc...). Pissed me off.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Pyjama Party !

Loved PJ. Great defesive player. Highly infuriating at times offensively as well, :laugh:, not his fault his coaches put him on a line he didn't belong at times tho.

PJ is most certainly one of my all time bottom 6 favs alongside Kelly :handclap:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Do any of you guys remember him?

Is he considered to be one of the best bottom sixers that has ever played for Boston?

How would you describe his playing style?

5477-1237415Bk.jpg

we were ok him playing bottom six with tim taylor and rob dimeo... i guess

we freaked when he was getting pp time and playing wing with marc savard

at the end of the day he was what he was... very smart dedicated guy to his defensive assignments who has below average offense ability and certainly didnt win the majority of his physical encounters.

i was never his biggest fan just because he got used too high in the lineup too many times

Last edited:

Don Cherry*

Incredibly boring player. Captain of the all overrated team.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
He's looks great these days. His wardrobe is a bit tame these days ;)

Jay Pandolfo and PJ Axelsson from this week's Dev Camp

Cnb7upqWIAExoga.jpg

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Cnb7upqWIAExoga.jpg

and clearly he invested in a comb lately too:laugh:

one of those honest hockey players, never cheated, worked hard, did the little things right

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Incredibly boring player. Captain of the all overrated team.

If playing incredibly strong defensive hockey and being asked to shut down/limit opponents top players opportunities is your idea of boring then sure, that isn`t going to keep fans on the edges of their seats but....

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Cnb7upqWIAExoga.jpg

Great photo thanks !

PJ was a very good Bruin. He wasn't ever going to be the top line guy but he excelled at defensive hockey.

I was very happy to see him return to the B's

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Great photo thanks !

PJ was a very good Bruin. He wasn't ever going to be the top line guy but he excelled at defensive hockey.

I was very happy to see him return to the B's

I thought of you and Betsy when I was looking through all the photos I took at camp. So glad it came out clear.

I think he's one of their leading Euro scouts.

He truly embodies what a true Bruins is.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

Cnb7upqWIAExoga.jpg

Thanks for posting this Alicat. I can't get over the standard issue haircut though that just isn't PJ LOL :D

Rancid McGoiter

Still metal.
Feb 1, 2005
He's one of my favorite Bruins ever. Such a smart, entertaining player and I wish he could've stuck around a couple more years and won that Cup.

Does anyone want to sell me, or know where I can find a quality Axelsson jersey?

moonshot summit

Jun 30, 2015
Halifax, NS
He's one of my favorite Bruins ever. Such a smart, entertaining player and I wish he could've stuck around a couple more years and won that Cup.

Does anyone want to sell me, or know where I can find a quality Axelsson jersey?

Your best bet is finding a blank and getting someone to sew the name on for you. Id just keep an eye on eBay. Be careful though, there are some fakes out there.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad