Pj Axelsson

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Do any of you guys remember him?

Is he considered to be one of the best bottom sixers that has ever played for Boston?

How would you describe his playing style?

5477-1237415Bk.jpg

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
He would be considered to be one of the best bottom sixers that has ever played for Boston but he was forever being thrown onto the first and second line.

His ability to slither through what looked like devastating checks was unmatched and earned him the "Gumby" moniker.

Great player, fun to watch, hope he's a hell of a scout too. ;)

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Was a heck of a penalty killer. IIRC there seemed to be a little hostility between the Bruins and Axelsson camp when the Bruins didn't re-sign him. PJ was left feeling as though the Bruins strung him along and failed to communicate with him that he wasn't going to get a contract.

Glad to see him working for the organization.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA

Still have my #11 jersey. :)

Will always love Axey, even if I believe he was used improperly at times.

Remember his filthy shootout goal against the Blackhawks?

Him and Brian Rolston together on the PK made it exciting to be shorthanded.

Thats like Bergy and Marchand now. Those 2 on the ice during PK I'm always waiting for one of them to spring free and take it in alone on the goalie.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I thought the OP was trolling at first. :laugh:

PJ did his job for a long time very, very well. Of course, as soon as he started dropping off and being put in spots that were not his game, people turned on him quick.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
As a kid PJ Axelsson was one of my favorite players...we decided to even name the family cat at the time PJ after him. We also had a cat named Mikko after...of course...Mikko Eloranta. Guess the family liked the hard working depth guys.

PJ was a joy to watch in his prime, he had a tough time towards the end and should not have been thrown on the top line. He will always be one of my favorite Bruins of all time.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i personally thought he anticipated the play on an elite level. one of my favorite players.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
i personally thought he anticipated the play on an elite level. one of my favorite players.

A favorite of mine also. He was a treat to watch for those who appreciate high hockey IQ and excellent defensive play.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005

Is he considered to be one of the best bottom sixers that has ever played for Boston?

5477-1237415Bk.jpg

Not just one of the best 'bottom sixers' in Boston. One of the best third line shutdown forwards the league has had. Would've won multiple Selkes if he was a centre.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

5477-1237415Bk.jpg

Honestly, the best word to describe his playing style was boring. Just one of those guys who did so many of the little things well, but was never going to give you that "wow" factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad