Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Post-Apocalyptic Mayhem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I just hope we suck a ton next year so Sullivan gets fired at this point. This team is going nowhere and the blindness to the coaching issues is just absolutely bizarre.

Forcefields, injuries, COVID, "weird season" and of course lovely MassMutual East division banners to hang, bud. C'mon... get with the talking points.

Reactions: Pens x

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
We were an average Jarry performance away from getting mauled by the Bruins, in no small part due to Sully's insistence to keep Sid's line out against Bergeron's all series (everyone knew it was coming). Missed it by that much. :laugh:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think I'd rather hold onto Jarry for now just to try and recover his value somewhat. I also don't want Hextall to give out any sort of stupid contracts with the saved cap space by moving Jarry for a cheaper backup.

I don't want to enable the Penguins to spend a bunch of money in depth roles on players they don't really need. I feel like going cheap on goaltending really enabled JR to do that, and I don't think that's a good way to build a team. The Penguins won in 2015 and 2016 in big part due to getting superb value out of depth players like Bonino, Cullen, Rust, Murray and such, but if you're spending a ton of money and/or assets on depth players (like Tanev, Brassard, Pettersson, Bjugstad, Matheson and such), you're blocking out those cheaper players from really contributing.
I agree they shouldn't spend that money on multi-year contracts for depth pieces, but I'm not going to hold JR's sins against GMRH. They need to shed cap as it is and if they are looking to shake things up with a Rust and/or McCann trade (as I think they should), I don't want them to be handcuffed on the return because of a $3.5M backup goalie.

I just don't think there is a ton of upside in trying to rebuild Jarry's value. He's a mediocre goalie who played mediocre and makes mediocre money. He's only going to rebuild his value so much in a backup role and even if he does, they won't get a ton for him anyway. So if they get Lehner and could dump him, I'd do it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Hextall could do worse than keeping a successful team together and giving it another shot to redeem itself in the playoffs.

Hextall did also say this "We’ll look at what’s there this summer and we’ll make adjustments, but if we go on to the next season with this group, we’re comfortable.”

So for those praying for moves, he's not ruling that out. He's just fine with standing pat if nothing comes his way that he likes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hextall could do worse than keeping a successful team together and giving it another shot to redeem itself in the playoffs.

Hextall did also say this "We’ll look at what’s there this summer and we’ll make adjustments, but if we go on to the next season with this group, we’re comfortable.”

So for those praying for moves, he's not ruling that out. He's just fine with standing pat if nothing comes his way that he likes.

A team that loses in the 1st round every year isn't a "successful team".

They need to pick a path and stick with it. Deciding to do nothing isn't making a decision.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, we don't know what Hextall is planning, but if we're not aggressively shopping Rust and McCann at least, we're f***in' up, imo.

Rust walks in a year regardless, and McCann's a ghost when it matters. "But McCann's young!" Great, he can be a ghost for a long time then. Wonderful. :laugh:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
A team that loses in the 1st round every year isn't a "successful team".

They need to pick a path and stick with it. Deciding to do nothing isn't making a decision.

They are sticking with a path. When Hextall came in he said the path was to contend but try to acquire futures and not trade away all the youth in the process. I think the main difference between him and JR will ultimately be that Hextall is not going to be trading away lots of first round picks and prospects for win-now help. He'll try to contend while maintaining some semblance of a farm system.

He's going to be a very boring gm, for better or worse.

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

What do moves matter if you have a coach that has stubbornly stuck to Johnson - Schultz and GCR when they've both completely trashed our playoff hopes in consecutive seasons?

Like, what does it matter who we acquire if Sullivan is just going to build around Guentzel - Crosby and BART every game and treat Malkin as an after thought.

Also, I really doubt Carter contributes the way he did last year. So we will probably have a 37 year old weight too.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hey listen Malkin will get to play with the mighty Jason Zucker. Alllllllllllll season long! And he was one of their best wings in the playoffs!

He was basically Kunitz, yeah? You guys LOVE Kunitz!

Reactions: Shady Machine

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
What do moves matter if you have a coach that has stubbornly stuck to Johnson - Schultz and GCR when they've both completely trashed our playoff hopes in consecutive seasons?

Like, what does it matter who we acquire if Sullivan is just going to build around Guentzel - Crosby and BART every game and treat Malkin as an after thought.

Also, I really doubt Carter contributes the way he did last year.

Also none of it matters if Jarry is Maf 2.0 in the playoffs and they opt to stick with him another year.

Carter I think will be productive but obviously not anywhere near the level he was this year. Hopefully we can get 15 goals out of him and some solid two-way play.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think those of us that want big changes either way were never going to be happy, tbh. Hextall was brought in to see the final year(s) of the era out, and shift gears dramatically to a rebuild. This is the team letting things play out before they pack it in when it comes to competing. May happen next season, may happen the season after, but anyone wanting Hextall & Co. to make big changes and swing for the fences to get us back into legit contention, or go the opposite direction and start selling off major pieces, was always going to be disappointed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They are sticking with a path. When Hextall came in he said the path was to contend but try to acquire futures and not trade away all the youth in the process. I think the main difference between him and JR will ultimately be that Hextall is not going to be trading away lots of first round picks and prospects for win-now help. He'll try to contend while maintaining some semblance of a farm system.

He's going to be a very boring gm, for better or worse.

I don't really view 'doing nothing' as a path, though. That's just the issue.

This team isn't a contender without doing anything, they have made that painfully obvious in the last 3 years. What exactly are you accomplishing by just standing pat? You're basically just spinning your tires in mud by doing nothing.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean I always knew they were going to investigate themselves and find no wrongdoing. I'm not really upset. You can't be mad at what was never going to happen.

Am I baffled they don't seem to care much about winning and/or consequences? Sure! But hey I guess it's the way to do things, these days. Just keep doubling down on your stupidity until everyone shrugs and gives up.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think those of us that want big changes either way were never going to be happy, tbh. Hextall was brought in to see the final year(s) of the era out, and shift gears dramatically to a rebuild. This is the team letting things play out before they pack it in when it comes to competing. May happen next season, may happen the season after, but anyone wanting Hextall & Co. to make big changes and swing for the fences to get us back into legit contention, or go the opposite direction and start selling off major pieces, was always going to be disappointed.

If you're a fan that wants those big changes you pretty much gotta hope the team craters. If they do, that's when the axe will fall and they'll shift direction. But expecting them to do that before the team started actively sucking in the regular season was I think always unlikely.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This is why hitting Sleepy Hextall was a poor choice. This team needs some tweaks, but we hired a dud GM.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't really view 'doing nothing' as a path, though. That's just the issue.

This team isn't a contender without doing anything, they have made that painfully obvious in the last 3 years. What exactly are you accomplishing by just standing pat? You're basically just spinning your tires in mud by doing nothing.

I guess their thinking is that Jarry can be better and that the team largely played well vs the Islanders and deserved a better fate. I don't think they're necessarily wrong about either of those assumptions, though it is very troubling how bad GCR were and how shook Jarry was. Personally even though I'm not in favor of huge sweeping changes I don't see how you go into the playoffs next year with Jarry as your #1.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I guess their thinking is that Jarry can be better and that the team largely played well vs the Islanders and deserved a better fate. I don't think they're necessarily wrong about either of those assumptions, though it is very troubling how bad GCR were and how shook Jarry was. Personally even though I'm not in favor of huge sweeping changes I don't see how you go into the playoffs next year with Jarry as your #1.
Sullivan and Jarry will both be here for more bloopers.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pretty much...this is not a Cup team...guess the FO just doesn't care about that anymore...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, I think it's ownership that sees the writing on the wall. They know this hasn't been a Cup caliber team for a few years and probably won't be again. So they're content to accept the 1st round revenue before the team bows out.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean, I think it's ownership that sees the writing on the wall. They know this hasn't been a Cup caliber team for a few years and probably won't be again. So they're content to accept the 1st round revenue before the team bows out.

I want to say they make money so long as they even play a round but I could be wrong. If they are it isn't much.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad