Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Goal #44 was a shg, too.

It’s still weird that he wasn’t drafted. Every team and their scouts missed on him. Unless something clicked late in the season or in the offseason or he had some crazy physical growth it’s baffling. Good for the Pens, but it’s crazy.

We need a "surprise" like him to offset:

-Lauzon with 2 whopping assists in 18 games this year
-Hall with 10 assists (no goals) in 43 games this year

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
...so Lauzon is producing worse than Hall... I managed to miss that... ignorance was bliss.

Yep, Lauzon's production makes Hall look like our future PP QB.

I'm almost convinced the Pens scouts were looking at two different players and got the first names mixed up when they wrote up their reports.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
It really is bizarre that he wasn't drafted. That isn't hindsight either, surely he was worth a flier in the 6th or 7th given that he can skate and has a reasonably well rounded skill set.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It really is bizarre that he wasn't drafted. That isn't hindsight either, surely he was worth a flier in the 6th or 7th given that he can skate and has a reasonably well rounded skill set.

Earlier I thought it might be off ice or attitude stuff but he’s got the C now so I doubt it. He’s not that small either.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Earlier I thought it might be off ice or attitude stuff but he’s got the C now so I doubt it. He’s not that small either.

Everything I've read about his character is positive. My only theory is that scouts wrote him off because Wong and Estephan put up huge numbers without being great prospects so there was some unconscious bias at work in disregarding him as well. Then again, Estephan got drafted in the 6th a couple of years prior so who knows?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And to think we'd have taken Lauzon at 31. Hopefully he's a late bloomer, but that level of production is absolutely pathetic.

Yeah, not to harp on it too much, but that's downright horrible production from a guy who is in his final year of junior and drafted that high.

Not that we had a chance at him since he was taken before the Pens picked, but another second round pick Connor Timmins is a perfect example of what you expect from a player in his Draft+1 year.

6 goals, 29 assists in 30 games. And Timmins doesn't even project to be an offensive defenseman at the next level. He's more likely to be a rock solid defensive guy who can move the puck and isn't offensively inept.

Bellerive's stocky, too. He also has some draft pedigree, being the 2nd overall pick in the WHL bantam draft. So it's kind of weird he didn't at least get chosen in the 5th-7th round range.

Reactions: Brandinho

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Everything I've read about his character is positive. My only theory is that scouts wrote him off because Wong and Estephan put up huge numbers without being great prospects so there was some unconscious bias at work in disregarding him as well. Then again, Estephan got drafted in the 6th a couple of years prior so who knows?

I’d still expect someone to at least throw a 7th round pick at him. I’d say nothing about him stood out but he stood out enough at the prospect stuff to get a contract. He hasn’t missed much if any time to injuries either. Nothing stood out as destructively wrong with his game from what I saw.

I guess every team just screwed up multiple times until the Pens fell ass backwards into some luck. Maybe the team wasn’t scouted extensively and his numbers didn’t stand out enough to matter. Therefore scouts missed a player close to breaking out.

Bellerive's stocky, too. He also has some draft pedigree, being the 2nd overall pick in the WHL bantam draft. So it's kind of weird he didn't at least get chosen in the 5th-7th round range.

Yeah, stocky is a good description, He’s listed as slightly smaller than Crosby is listed at. Some say 5’10” and others says 5’11” 190-194lb. He’s not Crosby but that’s not a discouragingly small player and was young enough to potentially eke out some more height. He could still put on some more muscle.

I think I read an article or whatever about him failing to live up to that whl draft pedigree hurting him. It still shouldn’t have meant not getting drafted.

It’s just really, really bizarre that no one drafted him. Lucky for the Pens who I guess has him somewhere on some list.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I’d still expect someone to at least throw a 7th round pick at him. I’d say nothing about him stood out but he stood out enough at the prospect stuff to get a contract. He hasn’t missed much if any time to injuries either. Nothing stood out as destructively wrong with his game from what I saw.

I guess every team just screwed up multiple times until the Pens fell ass backwards into some luck. Maybe the team wasn’t scouted extensively and his numbers didn’t stand out enough to matter. Therefore scouts missed a player close to breaking out.

He also looks a bit like Phil. Surely that alone is worth a 7th.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Anthony Angello considered a legit prospect? His numbers look decent in college, but at the same time they haven't exactly improved much from year to year.

He's got size, which is something that would be nice to add.

Reactions: Giskard

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Maybe Sully has a problem with bad hairlines?

You may be onto something.

6360.jpg

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Just searching his name here finds a decent number of guys who picked him in the 4th or 5th for their mock drafts/wishing their team picked him right after the draft. Super bizarre and I'd still love to hear scouts talk about why.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
for the guy's that have "seen" them. (I can only go by stats) how would you now rank our prospects, and how far away do you think they are?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Just searching his name here finds a decent number of guys who picked him in the 4th or 5th for their mock drafts/wishing their team picked him right after the draft. Super bizarre and I'd still love to hear scouts talk about why.

I just finished reading Future Greats and Heartbreaks by Gare Joyce (highly recommend), the stuff about how great Tom Sestito is is particular hilarious. One scout (who isn't named) says he'd trade a lottery pick for him.

Reactions: Giskard and Peat

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Sam Lafferty is having quiet the stretch to end the season with 12 pts in the past 10 games. Had a rough start, but he's now the team leading scorer with 21 pts. Might not seem like much, but that Brown team sucks.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Yeah, not to harp on it too much, but that's downright horrible production from a guy who is in his final year of junior and drafted that high.

Not that we had a chance at him since he was taken before the Pens picked, but another second round pick Connor Timmins is a perfect example of what you expect from a player in his Draft+1 year.

6 goals, 29 assists in 30 games. And Timmins doesn't even project to be an offensive defenseman at the next level. He's more likely to be a rock solid defensive guy who can move the puck and isn't offensively inept.

If I'm not mistaken he has at least one more year of Junior to go

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Sam Lafferty is having quiet the stretch to end the season with 12 pts in the past 10 games. Had a rough start, but he's now the team leading scorer with 21 pts. Might not seem like much, but that Brown team sucks.

Last game of Brown's season is today (barring an upset). Not sure if we'll see him in WBS to end the season. ECAC guys tend to finish off their degrees on campus when their seasons end.

Will Reilly & RPI's season is also on the brink tonight. Dane Birk (Michigan Tech), Nikita Pavlychev (Penn St) and Ryan Jones (UNO) all won last night in game 1 of best 2 0f 3 series. Clayton Phillips (Minnesota) lost to Penn St last night, so could be knocked out tonight. They would be a bubble team for the final tourny if they loose this weekend (same could be said for Penn St if the Gophers take the next two games).

Anthony Angello (Cornell) Kasper Bjorkvist (Providence) & Joe Masionus (Uconn) had byes this week.

Cornell & Providence are shoe ins for the final tourny. Minnesota, UNO and Penn St. are bubble teams (Minnesota being the best of the three). The rest of the Pens prospects will need their teams to win their conferences, which is unlikely.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That book is hilarious for all the wrong reasons, ie, the hate ***** (rhymes with loner) for our beautiful Phil.

That was about the first thing I saw in the reviews! Can someone give me a precis of what it says about him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad