Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Sam Lafferty with a 2-goal performance last night. He's been much better lately, had a bit of a slow start, but he has turned it around. He's got 5 pts (3+2) in 9 games so far.

Nice, and it looks like he’s in a massive tie for second on the team in points and tied for the most goals.. Lafferty and Angello are two of my good gut feeling picks.

This almost certainly dooms them...

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Nice, and it looks like he’s in a massive tie for second on the team in points and tied for the most goals.. Lafferty and Angello are two of my good gut feeling ppicks

This almost certainly dooms them...

I feel like both will make it to the NHL. Angello is nasty around the net, so maybe he'll replace Hornqvist someday.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not that the WJC is any sort of indicator or guarantee of future NHL success, but here's who Sam Cosentino expects will be invited to Canada's selection camp in early December:

Projecting Canada's WJC selection camp invite list - Sportsnet.ca

Notable omissions: All Canadian Penguins prospects. :(

Our dynamic duo (Hall and Lauzon) don't seem to be on Team Canada's radar, to the surprise of no one except maybe JR and his scouting staff. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lauzon isn't exactly a high profile Canadian defenseman though, I don't know what you expected. He was a 2nd round pick that was a reach at the draft, there's only 1 defenseman on this team that was also a 2nd round pick in 2017 (was pick #32 in Timmins, who has 20 points in 20 games this year). Lauzon could have a legitimate shot at making the team next year IMO, but there's absolutely no chance he'd break this team when this team has 6 1st rounders from 2016 or 2017, plus an almost guaranteed 2018 1st rounder in Bouchard. I could see Lauzon taking the place of someone like Clague when Clague turns pro next year. His brother did the same exact thing, get drafted in the 2nd round in the early 50s, not make the WJC in his draft+1 year and then making the WJC in his draft+2 year.

Lauzon is a legitimately good D prospect. He may end up just being another Scott Harrington, but I do think he's an extremely safe bet to end up a NHLer in some capacity. He's not Hall.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Missing most of the season thus far due to injury will drop anyone off a lot of radars.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Lauzon could have a legitimate shot at making the team next year IMO, but there's absolutely no chance he'd break this team when this team has 6 1st rounders from 2016 or 2017, plus an almost guaranteed 2018 1st rounder in Bouchard. I could see Lauzon taking the place of someone like Clague when Clague turns pro next year. His brother did the same exact thing, get drafted in the 2nd round in the early 50s, not make the WJC in his draft+1 year and then making the WJC in his draft+2 year.

Lauzon is a legitimately good D prospect. He may end up just being another Scott Harrington, but I do think he's an extremely safe bet to end up a NHLer in some capacity. He's not Hall.

Lauzon is a late '98 birth date so this year was his last one with WJC eligibility.

-------

Gustavsson had a rough game yesterday. Came in relief for the starting goalie early on in the 2nd period when his team was down 4-1. Ended up giving three goals on 6 shots en route to 7-4 loss.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lauzon isn't exactly a high profile Canadian defenseman though, I don't know what you expected. He was a 2nd round pick that was a reach at the draft, there's only 1 defenseman on this team that was also a 2nd round pick in 2017 (was pick #32 in Timmins, who has 20 points in 20 games this year). Lauzon could have a legitimate shot at making the team next year IMO, but there's absolutely no chance he'd break this team when this team has 6 1st rounders from 2016 or 2017, plus an almost guaranteed 2018 1st rounder in Bouchard. I could see Lauzon taking the place of someone like Clague when Clague turns pro next year. His brother did the same exact thing, get drafted in the 2nd round in the early 50s, not make the WJC in his draft+1 year and then making the WJC in his draft+2 year.

Lauzon is ineligible for the tournament next year, as it will be his overage season. He's eligible to play in the AHL next year.

This was his last chance to play in the WJC.

This is also his last year of junior hockey.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lauzon is ineligible for the tournament next year, as it will be his overage season. He's eligible to play in the AHL next year.

This was his last chance to play in the WJC.

This is also his last year of junior hockey.

I don't think that's true though, because can't Canadian players not be assigned to the AHL until they're 20? At the start of next season, he's only going to be 19, so he wouldn't be eligible to go down to the AHL, right?

Oh wait nevermind, he turns 20 in October of next year. He was an early birthday for his draft year, similar to Matthews. If that rule actually exists, they just need to keep him up for like a week into the season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't think that's true though, because can't Canadian players not be assigned to the AHL until they're 20? At the start of next season, he's only going to be 19, so he wouldn't be eligible to go down to the AHL, right?

No, because junior hockey goes by the rule of "the season that starts in the year you turn 20, that's your OA year". So for anyone born in 1998, regardless of whether it's January 1st or December 31st, the season that starts in September is their OA season.

The AHL has some sort of slide rule, I believe, where contracts for late birthdates can slide or something which affects when they become UFAs down the line. But it doesn't affect actual eligibility.

One quick example I remember is Ryan Pulock of the Islanders. He didn't turn 20 until October 6th, (1994 birth year), but was eligible to start the 2014 season in the AHL.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Perusing through some CHL highlights and seen a Hall assist and a Drozg OT winner.

As much as Hall sucked at the rookie tourney, he's barely on the ice for many goals against when i watch highlights. Just checked and he's a +8 on the year. I don't know much about his usage tho. DZ/OZ starts etc.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just saw Gustavssons numbers, yikes. Kid is having a rough year or does his numbers lie in relation to his actual play?

Perusing through some CHL highlights and seen a Hall assist and a Drozg OT winner.

As much as Hall sucked at the rookie tourney, he's barely on the ice for many goals against when i watch highlights. Just checked and he's a +8 on the year. I don't know much about his usage tho. DZ/OZ starts etc.
Yeah I don't think the CHL tracks that stat on any website I've seen. Scouts probably know but we wouldn't unless you watched him religiously.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Luckily Gustavsson habe really Good numbers in the juniors this season.

I have no idea if its a confidence thing. He put up a few good starts in a row, and seemed to habe taken over the no.1 spot in goal. Then he had a bad outing and he was right back to being a backup.

I really hope he will be Swedens starter in WJC so we can see him in action.

As it looks now he will probably be our only prospect there, unless Almari makes it. But i doubt it, Finland have a stacked blueline.

Edit: Drozg will ofc make it, but they arent in the top division.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I just saw Gustavssons numbers, yikes. Kid is having a rough year or does his numbers lie in relation to his actual play?

Before his last game his numbers were more than fine (around 2.3 GAA and .910 SV%). It's still a small sample size of games so a game like last one (came in relief, played around 30 minutes and allowed 3 goals on 6 shots) really hurts one's numbers.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah his numbers tanked after his last relief effort, prior to that he was around like 910 save percentage.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Phillips are having a good season so far. 12 points in 14 games. The team he got traded to doesnt seem really good either.

Hes currently 3rd in the league in D scoring. 4 games in hand and 1 point back of the one in 2nd place .

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Drozg picked up another goal on Sunday:
24gp 7g(1pp) 13a 20p 10pim -1

Bellerive as well:
22gp 13g(6pp) 18a 31p 25pim -5

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bellerive seems to be the only one in the CHL having a break-out sort of season. The others range from decent to disappointing.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Drozg picked up another goal on Sunday:
24gp 7g(1pp) 13a 20p 10pim -1

Bellerive as well:
22gp 13g(6pp) 18a 31p 25pim -5
I'ts worth noticing that Drozg recently played 3 games in 3 days which didn't help his prod. Not surprisingly his bad team lost all 3...

Crazy junior schedules, the kids study so it must affect their school results too.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If Miletic wasn't lighting it up this year I'd consider that a waste of a contract spot pretty quickly, to be honest. He turned 20 back in May, so he's more physically mature than most of his competition.

I am impressed with his G/A ratio practically flipping, though, he already has more assists than he did last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad