Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'm just going to suggest nobody gets too attached to what Yager is or isn't going to be after one year post draft. Poulin's first year post draft was a stonker. Rust's wasn't. There's a long road for the kid.
Yeah he’s playing on a team/PP with Matyechuck, Savoie, Firkus, and a really good OA.

Has definitely done what’s asked of him and maybe he’s the best NHLer from that bunch (certainly possible) but it’s really hard to tell just looking at stats and clips and not watching the team regularly.

Outside of him being ready for the NHL- pretty partial to him going back to the WHL and having the entire MJ team run through him, then WJC, then trade to a top WHL team. I think it’ll be good for him to have nobody to rely on in the first half. Gotta bring it every night as the clear cut “guy” and it’ll be at level he knows he can succeed at.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah he’s playing on a team/PP with Matyechuck, Savoie, Firkus, and a really good OA.

Has definitely done what’s asked of him and maybe he’s the best NHLer from that bunch (certainly possible) but it’s really hard to tell just looking at stats and clips and not watching the team regularly.

Outside of him being ready for the NHL- pretty partial to him going back to the WHL and having the entire MJ team run through him, then WJC, then trade to a top WHL team. I think it’ll be good for him to have nobody to rely on in the first half. Gotta bring it every night as the clear cut “guy” and it’ll be at level he knows he can succeed at.

There's a fine line between being the guy and having everything run through them in order to give them tons of reps making decisions and plays with the puck, and being the guy with nobody around them to work with and getting into bad habits because they're not using team mates enough. Can see it both ways. Can definitely see the case that getting him used to what he can can't get away with at pro level asap will be helpful too (but potentially stunting if his reps drop).

But it's not my decision so I'm not going to worry too much either way :nod:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
There's a fine line between being the guy and having everything run through them in order to give them tons of reps making decisions and plays with the puck, and being the guy with nobody around them to work with and getting into bad habits because they're not using team mates enough. Can see it both ways. Can definitely see the case that getting him used to what he can can't get away with at pro level asap will be helpful too (but potentially stunting if his reps drop).

But it's not my decision so I'm not going to worry too much either way :nod:
Someone else can check me on this but I believe MJ is actually a young team outside of that group that plays PP1 together. I don’t think they’re going to be god awful next year to where it stunts him for half a season.

Either way- I didn’t love the pick and he’s had a good year. Slightly higher on him now.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Someone else can check me on this but I believe MJ is actually a young team outside of that group that plays PP1 together. I don’t think they’re going to be god awful next year to where it stunts him for half a season.

Either way- I didn’t love the pick and he’s had a good year. Slightly higher on him now.

Well good to know.

And in a lot of ways I didn't know how to feel about Yager as it felt like everyone had a different take on him, and while it's great he laid down the sort of D+1 you want, I'm trying to be older and wiser and less buffeted by every small event and plenty of great D+1s end up disappointing. And it was only great. Not transformational breakout.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Firkus, Calvert, Savoie, Rysavy and Mateychuk are all aging out. That’s a lot of offense. 169 of their 297 goals. Not much in the way of 2005 or 2006 birth years to replace that offense. I think that’s why they went all-in this year.

Not sure if they have prospects waiting somewhere though. Without some additions Yager will be on an island. Probably gets traded.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
This is how the Pens got Justin Schultz to pick one example. I'm not awake enough to think of other examples but I'm sure people will have a bunch of others. Guys getting put in the wrong spot can do a bunch of damage.
It can do damage but I don't think it would ruin a guy's career. I guess you could say in Schultz's case it did for a little while, but imo most good NHLers will eventually find their way even with shitty usage.

Like if a guy is a top six quality player but getting asked to play in the bottom six, he's still gonna score goals. If you took a young Jake and put him on the fourth line, he'd still score some goals, because he's that good.

Counterpoint: Harkins, Jansen.
Harkins would (and has been) bad anywhere he's been played. That ain't on Sully.

Or am I missing a joke here?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Firkus, Calvert, Savoie, Rysavy and Mateychuk are all aging out. That’s a lot of offense. 169 of their 297 goals. Not much in the way of 2005 or 2006 birth years to replace that offense. I think that’s why they went all-in this year.

Not sure if they have prospects waiting somewhere though. Without some additions Yager will be on an island. Probably gets traded.

I don't see the issue with bringing Yager to the AHL.

Reactions: Jacob

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Harkins would (and has been) bad anywhere he's been played. That ain't on Sully.

Or am I missing a joke here?
I meant more that I don't think Sully was going to take Harkins out of the line-up for anyone, regardless of how good a rookie was. So, that's the one area I can definitely see regarding coaches and younger players. You really need some very specific kinds of situations before you'll see most NHL coaches giving rookies a shot for good play-- specifically, you need injuries or pre-existing holes on the roster.

Reactions: Pancakes

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I meant more that I don't think Sully was going to take Harkins out of the line-up for anyone, regardless of how good a rookie was. So, that's the one area I can definitely see regarding coaches and younger players. You really need some very specific kinds of situations before you'll see most NHL coaches giving rookies a shot for good play-- specifically, you need injuries or pre-existing holes on the roster.
then again you will see most coaches playing younger players in preseason play with other top players. but with sully, he plays then with ahl fodder, or other bottom sixers.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
then again you will see most coaches playing younger players in preseason play with other top players. but with sully, he plays then with ahl fodder, or other bottom sixers.
Yeah, I think that if Yager's really good, there's no way that even a coach like Sully is going to destroy him. But I do think he won't develop as quickly under a regime that prioritizes mediocre vets as it tries to avoid doing any real changes.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas and Spezza are now making the decisions as to coaches, roster fits ect. Sullivan sill be out probably after this year. He may go in a trade but that is wishful thinking.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yeah, I think that if Yager's really good, there's no way that even a coach like Sully is going to destroy him. But I do think he won't develop as quickly under a regime that prioritizes mediocre vets as it tries to avoid doing any real changes.
remember nasland? he was set back by a teammate that acted like a crazy man. some kids just need protected a little till they have a chance to grow up.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
that was him in year one. he would get the puck and just take off and shoot. the coach broke him of that. so, it won't be a good thing for him to go back to.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I am bullish on Yager. Yeah, watching WHL highlights does not provide much of a canvas. That said, I love what I see.

I am a huge believer that someone like Yager, who plays the same position as Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, could learn a TON just by hanging around them. We should give Yager every chance to earn a roster spot in training camp, and then give him nine more games when the regular season starts just to be absolutely sure he is NOT ready.

For this to occur, we have to trade Lars Eller. We have to give Yager, plus Poulin and Ponomarev, something to shoot for in camp. That three-way battle should be big for this organization going forward. But for me, it starts with Yager. A right-shooting center with upside. It is like having a 19-year-old Jeff Carter!

That should be the selling point to Mike Sullivan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad