Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Not at all.

I think if you go out and sign a guy, you have an idea of what he needs to work on, if that player is willing and the staff is as well, you can make something of it. But it's not always the case.

In any case, I was never high on Megna, Thiessen, Thompson or Gibbons. If they ever make the NHL, I'll be surprised. With that said, when was the last time WBS developed a player that was top 6 material? I don't count Beau, he barely played a full season there. I look at Tangradi as a guy that had promise, looked good in WBS, but then that was it. I don't care for Tangradi, but I sometimes wonder about how blind the people here are in terms to "Omg, Shero's tenure has been awesome, amazeballs!" to the point where he could almost do no wrong until his vote of confidence for Bylsma. If Kuhnhackl is healthy next season, I want to keep close tabs on him and how well the developmental staff develops him.

I am not Shero's biggest defender. But that does not put the blame on the coaching staff in Wilkes-Barre. Vielleux would have been a good fit until he developed glass bones. Jeffrey's knee injury seems to have slowed him down. Letestu was playing a top six role in Columbus. Heck, the Penguins made it to the conference finals in the AHL with only one consistent scoring line. I think the coaching staff is doing what they ned to do. Your argument that the forwards under Shero have not been awe inspiring has merit, but I would not put it all on the coaching staff.

On a side note, Gibbons does intrigue me. His speed and skill are impressive. Too bad he is not bigger. We would have our Dupuis replacement. (Including his not finishing).:) Thompson is not a complete hockey player, but he is a 20 goal scorer. He may have some merit. Kuhnhackl and Zlobin look to be our best chances for top 6 players right now.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Since Wilkes-Barre has been brought up, how do people think the roster is going to look next season? I know that they have a lot of free agents so what they sign is going to be important. However, I am bored and was wondering about that tonight. My best guess is something like this:

Kolarik-Smith-Nesbitt
Kuhnhackl-Megna-Zlobin
Thompson-Peters-Gibbons
Uher-Sill-Payerl
MacIntyre and Farnham

Dumoulin-D'Agostino
Samuelsson-Ruopp
Mormina-Harrington
McNeill

Zatkoff
Hartzell

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I wouldn't be surprised if an extra Vet was brought in for the defense but maybe Shero will prove me wrong. Not sure if the Vet forwards will be back or if they'll bring in new guys, Kolarik seemed to do well whereas Smith was a disappointment. They definitely need to bring in a #1 centre. I think Gibbons will be back but Thompson wont be.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I think Holzapfel has to stay as we need scorers (73 points in 104 games over the last one and a half seasons, after floundering for years on a stacked Chicago Wolves team) and he's both younger and less expensive than Smith. 25 year old two-way forward who can play center or wing sounds like a keeper, if only for depth reasons. And he was a 43rd overall pick after all.

Nesbitt did absolutely nothing for WBS after they brought him in but has a history as reliable goal scorer. Maybe he was hurt or a bad system fit? I'd let him leave to make sure das Kuhn and Zlobin get more chances in the top 6.

And they should sign Farnham to an ELC, he's earned that chance.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yeah I'm definitely for bringing Holzapfel back, he's versatile and has some decent experience to. Could be a potential injury call up for the Big Pens to.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
John Hynes spent years working for the U.S. junior development program (USNTDP in Ann Arbor) and won WJC and U18 Worlds gold medals as American head coach. He had no previous experience coaching pros so teaching and developing prospects should be his strong suit and the reason the Penguins hired him. I don't think the Baby Pens coaching is a problem.

Not surprising given Shero's involvement with USA hockey.

Hockey sense is definitely something you can't teach. If you have it, you can develop it, but if you lack it...it's game over.

I've seen and heard about Megna's skills in training camp, etc. I don't see him ever putting it together.

People say that but Gretzky has gone on the record saying how much studying the game has helped him. I think at the very least hockey sense can be sharpened.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Pens are doing the prospects game this year? I know they have the American prospects game in Sept.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Does anyone know if the Pens are doing the prospects game this year? I know they have the American prospects game in Sept.

they're doing the prospect tournament so I'm not sure if they're going to have an inter sqaud game.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
People say that but Gretzky has gone on the record saying how much studying the game has helped him. I think at the very least hockey sense can be sharpened.

It can be sharpened, but I don't think you need to watch game film to know putting yourself offsides 4 tines a game isn't good,.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not surprising given Shero's involvement with USA hockey.

Gretzky was just being modest about his hockey sense, if he was such a student of the game, he wouldn't have sucked so hard at coaching.

I bet if Sid retires and gets into coaching, he'd be fantastic at it.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
I don't think we're talking about the same thing. Last year the Pens had a prospects game in Pittsburgh... open to the public.

I think that was a scrimmage that was open to the public during prospects camp, rather than a prospect game as such.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
here's how I have WB/S roster right now

XXXX - Gibbons - Thompson
Zolnierczyk - Holzapfel - Megna
Kuhnhackl - XXXX - Payerl
Farnham - Uher - Zlobin
Collins, MacIntyre

Harrington - XXXX
Mormina - Samuelsson
D'Agostino - McNeill
Ruopp, Merth

Zatkoff / Hartzell

fill in the XXXX spots with some vets on two-way deals or, ideally, prospects that we may acquire in the late rounds or via trade.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
so you have Dumoulin making the big club? what are the chances they bring back Kolarik or Nesbitt? Nesbitt was a bust of an TDL acquisition but the team as it stands doesn't have too many proven scoreres.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Kolarik seemed to do quite well, he might be back but they tend to bring in Vets just for a year before moving on. Gibbons and Thompson might not be back either.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Kolarik seemed to do quite well, he might be back but they tend to bring in Vets just for a year before moving on. Gibbons and Thompson might not be back either.

I think Ryan Craig spent a couple of years down there. A lot of the vets move on for more money/more NHL opportunities.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
qualifying has little to do with re-signing really.

but yeah, i dont see why they wouldnt be back unless they are hell bent on 1 way deals.

Actually, it has everything to do with re-signing. Any RFA can sign the QO and then no longer be a free agent. If the player decides they can try to get a better deal, they don't sign the QO, and then the team gets the ability to match any offer sheet that player might sign. In any case, it means the team is opting to retain their rights. There are only two ways in which an RFA doesn't rejoin the team: 1) they are traded, or 2) they go off to Europe. Neither of those situations are likely with Thompson or Gibbons.

Actually, what I found most interesting about Shero's statement is that it implies he plans on giving Veilleux a qualifying offer as well. After the whole suspension for racial slurs incident, I thought he was done with this organization. I guess Shero's decided that 13/14 is the "Penguins rehabilitate everyone" season. At this rate, I half-expect him to trade for Jordin Tootoo, next...

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
qualifying has little to do with re-signing really.

but yeah, i dont see why they wouldnt be back unless they are hell bent on 1 way deals.

Qualifying is offering them a year long contract, it has quite a bit to do with re-signing. Gibbons and Thompson will be back if we qualify them. No one is offer sheeting them.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
so you have Dumoulin making the big club? what are the chances they bring back Kolarik or Nesbitt? Nesbitt was a bust of an TDL acquisition but the team as it stands doesn't have too many proven scoreres.

Yes, but if the NHL squad is too cramped you could just slot Dumoulin next to Harrington. not sure about Kolarik.. he's getting to the age where players start considering more guaranteed money in Europe. but I believe he has connections to the WB/S area and has played under Hynes before so he might be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad