Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Last couple posts:

From what I´ve read about Portland´s last game.. Pouliot´s goal was described as end-to-end highlight reel rush. DePo is absolutely dominating there since he came back from that injury.

There were 7 games played in the playoffs, Pouliot has 4g+9a while Seth Jones has 2g+3a on the same team. Pouliot is only 9 months older... Folks, I´m starting to be really happy we took him. Kid is having amazing season, hopefully he´s in WBS next year and we will see more of him. Maybe to give him a very little look in the first team. He has amazing talent, we very well might find a gem there.

I´ve seen only a 2 games of him, but I was impressed. And he´s only going better and better since then. If you find a link for his last goal, please let me know. I´m a huuge fan.

He's not eligible for WBS next season. It's either the NHL (not gonna happen) or back to juniors.

Harrison Ruopp and Matt Murray were both signed to ATO contracts at WBS today.

How so?? Morgan Rielly is playing AHL this year, Hampus Lindholm as well... Just asking.

Pouliot could play in the AHL this year or next if his WHL season is done (like Rielly's), but not before. It's because of his age and Canadian junior hockey's agreement with the NHL.

Lindholm was eligible to play the whole season there because he was not drafted out of Canadian junior hockey.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Thanks for the clarification RRP. That´s a shame, because AHL would be the absolutely right thing for Pouliot while another season in juniors doesn´t really make sense for him.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
You never know... if his physical game is there / impresses the team with his summer conditioning, he may make the team with an impressive camp. Long-shot but crazier things have happened.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Thanks for the clarification RRP. That´s a shame, because AHL would be the absolutely right thing for Pouliot while another season in juniors doesn´t really make sense for him.

Well, we'll see. I don't think Pouliot's so good that he's just treading water at the WHL level just yet. I'd really like to see him dominate like Letang did and earn a spot on Canada's WJC blueline.

I know some people here think the tourney's overrated, but it's the only place where junior-aged talent can measure themselves against the best of their peers from around the world. The international stage and competition level can do a lot for their development.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

There isn't a spot for him on the team next season and it will probably be quite difficult to find a spot the following season as well (Doumolin, Harrington, Samuelsson, etc.). Playing in Juniors next season allows the Pens to let him further develop while not burning a year on his ELC. There is no hurry to get him on the Pens at all.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Pouliot will be well served by another season in juniors. Especially with Portland probably losing their other three top four defensemen, DP is going to get a huge bump in ice time and responsibilities.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Well, Seth Jones will almost definitely make a jump right into NHL action. They are a bit different kids, but I´m not sure he´s that much better than Pouliot right now. Derrick is in a very difficult situation in our organization though and I think the only way he really earns the spot here is if he completely dominates the AHL. So we have to wait at least another year for it to possibly happen.

AHL is the best possible measurement for players like DePo and I´m sure he´s ready to compete at that level decently RIGHT NOW. That´s why I think it´s a shame he´s not eligible to play there. We will see, I´m just happy with him right now. Hopefully he has a great camp next year and stays at least for a few games with a big club (not to burn a year of his ELC).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nice to see DP piling up points in the playoffs though.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Man is Rattie a nice player. i'd love to see him in Black & Gold. A pure finisher.

You never know this summer, if the Blues choke this year perhaps they'd consider taking Orpik for him, so Shero can free-up cap cpace in the process so we can afford resigning Iginla :)

Sjb141

Dec 11, 2008
Well, Seth Jones will almost definitely make a jump right into NHL action. They are a bit different kids, but I´m not sure he´s that much better than Pouliot right now. Derrick is in a very difficult situation in our organization though and I think the only way he really earns the spot here is if he completely dominates the AHL. So we have to wait at least another year for it to possibly happen.

AHL is the best possible measurement for players like DePo and I´m sure he´s ready to compete at that level decently RIGHT NOW. That´s why I think it´s a shame he´s not eligible to play there. We will see, I´m just happy with him right now. Hopefully he has a great camp next year and stays at least for a few games with a big club (not to burn a year of his ELC).

They are different players - Jones is much more ready from a physicality and defensive game stand point. From everything I've heard about Pouliot he's much more defensively capable than given credit for but he still has a lot of work to do to not be a liabilty at the pro level (as do 99.9999% of all prospects). I'd agree that the AHL is probably the best place for him - I'd feel much better if the junior team he was playing for was known for its defensive structure so he could focus more on that aspect of his game (like London), but I still feel going back for another year is beneficial.

Jmelm - you were talking about Sundqvist a little in the last thread. I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in Sweden a little last week and mentioned if he heard anything about him. Mentioned he really liked him and thought he could be be a lot like a lars eller (his comp not mine) - good skater and hands, doesn't score a ton but surprises you with some of his offensive moves, but his main value is his 2 way play and also has a real mean streak (paraphrasing). I think your comp of sutter (although maybe slightly stronger/more filled out) seems to be a good one.

I don't like comps in general and even though i might have been the first to say Berglund-lite I was pretty hesitant saying that b/c Berglund was always considered to be a high end offensive player who probably has about 25-30 lbs on Oscar. I don't really think that's a realistic expectation, but if he can turn out to be a good 3c you'd be ectstatic (colllective 'you' there).

Anywas I'm pretty excited about him, even though I still think it's probably 50-50 he ever makes it to the NHL.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Man is Rattie a nice player. i'd love to see him in Black & Gold. A pure finisher.

You never know this summer, if the Blues choke this year perhaps they'd consider taking Orpik for him, so Shero can free-up cap cpace in the process so we can afford resigning Iginla :)

Him and zack philiphs were both on the board but shero choose morow

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Hadn't seen anyone talking about The Hockey News issue that recently came out called "Future Watch". The Pens top 10 prospects in the magazine are.

1 Ollii Maatta
2 Derrick Pouliot
3 Beau Bennett
4 Joe Morrow
5 Simon Despres
6 Scott Harrington
7 Brian Dumoulin
8 Teddy Blueger
9 Jayson Megna
10 Oskar Sundqvist

I've heard that the organizations rank the prospects themselves and I'm a little surprised that Despres is that far down. What are your thoughts on the list?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Hadn't seen anyone talking about The Hockey News issue that recently came out called "Future Watch". The Pens top 10 prospects in the magazine are.

1 Ollii Maatta
2 Derrick Pouliot
3 Beau Bennett
4 Joe Morrow
5 Simon Despres
6 Scott Harrington
7 Brian Dumoulin
8 Teddy Blueger
9 Jayson Megna
10 Oskar Sundqvist

I've heard that the organizations rank the prospects themselves and I'm a little surprised that Despres is that far down. What are your thoughts on the list?

Im surprised megnas in the top 10, and i thought poliout would be #1 but him and maata are pretty interchangeable for me

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Playoff hockey must agree with Maatta. Had an assist today in a 2-0 win and has picked up a point in 5 of 6 playoff games. Ended the regular season with points in 9 of his last 13 games.

Last edited:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

1 Ollii Maatta
2 Derrick Pouliot
3 Beau Bennett
4 Joe Morrow
5 Simon Despres
6 Scott Harrington
7 Brian Dumoulin
8 Teddy Blueger
9 Jayson Megna
10 Oskar Sundqvist

Do you know if it's possible to buy The Hockey News in the UK?

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
I saw that Barton and Darling were signed to Pro with WBS after Wheeling,s season ended. Any word on Vielleux, McNeill, and Velischek?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I believe McNeill is on an NHL deal and he's up with the baby Pens right now. Veilleux has not yet been recalled, and I doubt he will be.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Velischek signed a contract with wheeling but isnt on an nhl deal. Pens will probably watch him next season and see if he deserves a roster spot in the a

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
I saw that Barton and Darling were signed to Pro with WBS after Wheeling,s season ended. Any word on Vielleux, McNeill, and Velischek?

All told, the extra's for WBS right now are

G-Matt Murray-ATO
D-Harrison Ruopp-ATO, though he is signed to an ELC that kicks in next season
D-Clark Seymour-ATO
G-Scott Darling-PTO
F-Chris Barton-PTO
F-Christiaan Minella-PTO
D-Reid McNeill-ELC

Veilleux it seems is completely out of the Pens plans, to no big surprise.

Last edited:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Do you know if it's possible to buy The Hockey News in the UK?

Some 15 years ago I had a full subscription via an English company, Barker's Worldwide Publications, in Woking, Surrey. I don't think they exist anymore. Was really expensive and with the internet now nobody would pay those prices anymore.

But you can buy them as E-books at zinio.com (1 year with 26 regular issues and 4 specials costs 31 pounds). You can purchase the specials like the yearbook or the future watch only, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad