Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion Pt. ∞

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I believe Wilson is destined as a winger at the pro level, so what happens with Dea likely won't affect him (unless they are counting how many rookies they play nightly)

penguins2946*

I believe Wilson is destined as a winger at the pro level, so what happens with Dea likely won't affect him (unless they are counting how many rookies they play nightly)

I just think that's what the whole organization does because DB does it :laugh:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Wilson is a winger, Dea might end up as one to though he might start at centre.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I'm mainly thinking that WBS can't have that many young players on their roster. Archibald is way too good to send to the ECHL, Zlobin and Uher are both regulars in the AHL, Rust is well developed physically and Dea will probably make it due to C being a weakness. Actually, I'm thinking Wilson makes it over Dea, Dea is still pretty undersized.

Eh I'd rather see Sill or Scrabbles in an NHL role.

Has Zlobin really cemented a spot in WBS? It wasn't too long ago he was down with the Nailers.

Re Payerl at 6'3" 220, we don't want someone that big. who can stand in front of the net. And create havoc. Do we?

penguins2946*

I mean in the AHL.

I thought you were talking about Payerl playing in the NHL, my bad.

From the very, very limited times I've seen Payerl play, he can skate pretty decently. Let's not forget his size either: 6'3" 220lbs.

Taylor Pyatt is huge as well (6'4", 227), but he's soft as butter. I'm not saying Payerl is similar at all to Pyatt (I've heard he's extremely gritty), but size isn't everything.

Has Zlobin really cemented a spot in WBS? It wasn't too long ago he was down with the Nailers.

Re Payerl at 6'3" 220, we don't want someone that big. who can stand in front of the net. And create havoc. Do we?

He put up over a PPG in the ECHL, and is currently producing well on an anemic WBS offensive team. I think he's as safe of a bet as you can get to play in WBS. And I'll bring up Pyatt again with the size comment.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

I think you're overrating Payerl's offensive capabilities.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I think you're overrating Payerl's offensive capabilities.

Probably - call it the drowning-man-grasping-at-knives syndrome.

He doesn't have to be Phil Esposito, John Leclair/Tim Kerr in their prime, or even Ryan Malone in his good year or two. Just someone to occasionally get a rebound or even get in the goalie's way every once in a while.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Probably - call it the drowning-man-grasping-at-knives syndrome.

He doesn't have to be Phil Esposito, John Leclair/Tim Kerr in their prime, or even Ryan Malone in his good year or two. Just someone to occasionally get a rebound or even get in the goalie's way every once in a while.

He's a faster Glass at best IMO.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Payerl, at best, should be seen as the "mucker and grinder" that the 4th line needs, at around less than 350k of what Glass makes and is bigger and meaner. If he can develop into a guy that is great along the boards, wears players down in a strictly punish and grind type of role with Vitale, he's an epic win.

I thought he was going to get a shot, but injuries and such, he was talked about a lot in camp.

Payerl ain't butter.

(How is "ain't" not underlined in red???)

The English language went to crap years ago.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
He's a faster Glass at best IMO.

The game I watched him, he actually made things happen in the offensive zone though. He played well along the boards, behind the net, and in front of the goal.

He'll never be more than a 4th liner, but he's got more going for him than Glass has. Speed is just one thing.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Strange thing I realized recently: with the signing of Scott Wilson, Shero has signed the entirety of his 2011 draft class.
Joe Morrow (1st round), Scott Harrington (2nd round), Dominik Uher (5th round), Josh Archibald (6th round) and Scott Wilson (7th round).

Granted, it was a small class, but that's the only one of which where Shero's signed every pick. Obviously, there are no guarantees from that - Shero came close with the 2007 draft in that Muzzin was the only one from that class to not be signed. I just thought it was an interesting occurrence.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I like the infusion of Wilson, Rust, and Archibald. People complain about Shero not drafting a top 6 caliber forwards, but IMO, we need these two-way guys for the bottom 6 more. It's a much more pressing need.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I like the infusion of Wilson, Rust, and Archibald. People complain about Shero not drafting a top 6 caliber forwards, but IMO, we need these two-way guys for the bottom 6 more. It's a much more pressing need.

They're both needs at this point.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Wilson, Rust, Archibald, Uher and Megna. Hopefully the Pens get a couple of bottom sixers out of this group.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
In particular, I hope Rust, Uher, and Megna make it so there can be RUM line sometime in the future.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I think it's funny how lots of people (not particularly the recent posters) complained to no end about Shero drafting these grinders with no potential. Saying we could get players like them off of waivers or for cheap in the off-season. I'm sure a lot of them have changed their tone after a couple of Glass, Adams, and Pyatt's later.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think it's funny how lots of people (not particularly the recent posters) complained to no end about Shero drafting these grinders with no potential. Saying we could get players like them off of waivers or for cheap in the off-season. I'm sure a lot of them have changed their tone after a couple of Glass, Adams, and Pyatt's later.

I still think we should be drafting with more of an eye for high-end potential in forwards. It's nice to see Archibald, Wilson, and Rust sign, but they don't have the potential or established success to make people backtrack on that front.

Glass, Adams, and Pyatt are playing because DB loves them and we've had a ton of injuries, not because we don't have better options. If anything, Megna and Gibbons' recent success has shown that you can get contributing bottom 6 options via FA.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Jarry was pretty well insulated (15 shots to 40 something) but got the shutout for a 5 - 0 win. Oil Kings up 1 - 0.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Payerl has pretty decent hands in tight and actually passes fairly well, he kind of caught me off guard with that.

It's a shame he was hurt all year, it would've been nice to see what he could do in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad