Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jay_sherman_it_stinks.jpg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Like Gibbons, Samuelsson will never play a game for the Penguins because he sucks and I shouldn't have expectations for such crappy players.

I have learned my lesson. I now feel bad about having hopes for Zlobin.

But yes, Pouliot is ok, his instagram is weird though, apparently he can cook and has a totally "adorbs" relationship with his team mates and some lady friend.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Like Gibbons, Samuelsson will never play a game for the Penguins because he sucks and I shouldn't have expectations for such crappy players.

I have learned my lesson. I now feel bad about having hopes for Zlobin.

But yes, Pouliot is ok, his instagram is weird though, apparently he can cook and has a totally "adorbs" relationship with his team mates and some lady friend.

So then Pouliot won't end up being the first openly gay player in the NHL?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So then Pouliot won't end up being the first openly gay player in the NHL?

Maybe it's all act.

Also, is he seriously 203lbs like WHL.ca has him listed as?

That's bigger than I thought, he definitely doesn't look like he's 200lbs.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Jeez, a kneeing major and misconduct followed by a couple fighting majors and additional misconducts in the game. **** must have gone down.

Also, Pouliot has looked great in the offensive zone, but he's still too chilled around the net. Still lots of goals scored where he's had controller disconnected kinda moments. He will definitely need a full year in the AHL to learn how to play like a pro. If he's dedicated to that though, he's going to shine offensively.

I've now watched the last couple weeks of Jarry's goals against. He went through a clear slump where a lot of the goals were his fault. He let in 5+ goals in the space of a few games that just straight up beat him on the rush. He was looking slow or tired but is since looking far better. He's really good on breakaways too. The last few games the only ones going in have been unlucky deflections, screens or rebounds with no help around.

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Maybe it's all act.

Also, is he seriously 203lbs like WHL.ca has him listed as?

That's bigger than I thought, he definitely doesn't look like he's 200lbs.

No he doesn't look like he's 200lbs (in terms of being physically strong and developed), and he does still look baby-faced.

Unless I dreamt it, I think I hear recently that Pouliot said that he wants to slim down [in the context of him continuing his conditioning to get to the pros]. If that's the case, perhaps he needs to both lose a bit of fat and add a little muscle. Either way, he needs to add strength; because the 200lbs seems deceiving both in terms of how he looks on the ice, and in terms of the strength he shows (aka lacks) in one on one battles against bigger players.

These issues are hardly a concern given his pedigree, performance and how highly regarded he is, not only by the Pens but by Hockey Canada and others. If there were any concerns about his work ethic or willingness to get better in those areas, I don't think he gets spoken of quite so highly or makes the team. So I'm assuming this is just a simple and innocent part of the maturation process for DP, and the fact that he has goals and things he wants to work on (provided he follows through with it) is a very positive sign. But I personally and absolutely believe that he signficantly needs to improve his strength quite a lot, and his speed at least a bit, before he gets a serious shot at the NHL -- which is why I DO NOT think there's any way he makes this team next year like some people think.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
No he doesn't look like he's 200lbs (in terms of being physically strong and developed), and he does still look baby-faced.

Unless I dreamt it, I think I hear recently that Pouliot said that he wants to slim down [in the context of him continuing his conditioning to get to the pros]. If that's the case, perhaps he needs to both lose a bit of fat and add a little muscle. Either way, he needs to add strength; because the 200lbs seems deceiving both in terms of how he looks on the ice, and in terms of the strength he shows (aka lacks) in one on one battles against bigger players.

These issues are hardly a concern given his pedigree, performance and how highly regarded he is, not only by the Pens but by Hockey Canada and others. If there were any concerns about his work ethic or willingness to get better in those areas, I don't think he gets spoken of quite so highly or makes the team. So I'm assuming this is just a simple and innocent part of the maturation process for DP, and the fact that he has goals and things he wants to work on (provided he follows through with it) is a very positive sign. But I personally and absolutely believe that he signficantly needs to improve his strength quite a lot, and his speed at least a bit, before he gets a serious shot at the NHL -- which is why I DO NOT think there's any way he makes this team next year like some people think.

I think after a year in the AHL, that kid is going to be fun to watch. His progress is going well, it's nice to see him rounding out his game, I don't even care if he's not physical, as long as he's smart defensively like a Paul Martin, awesome. He's a prospect I consider one of the untouchables (only other is Archibald I think).

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I think after a year in the AHL, that kid is going to be fun to watch. His progress is going well, it's nice to see him rounding out his game, I don't even care if he's not physical, as long as he's smart defensively like a Paul Martin, awesome. He's a prospect I consider one of the untouchables (only other is Archibald I think).

The only issue I'm worried about is his lack of diligence around the net. If he picks up sticks and has good positioning that will be enough.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Matia Marcantuoni with a sign of life! A goal and an assist yesterday, his first tally since Nov 15 and first multi-point game of the season. And talking of snake-bitten, Matt Maguire made 34 saves in a 4-2 BU victory over Vermont. He was named 1st star too. It was only his second win of the season - the poor kid has a 2-8 record despite posting a .922 save percentage.

He looks way smaller than 200 lbs. His height seems correct at 6'0 as you could see when he was standing/sitting next to other guys at the WJC. But if he is 200 lbs then Letang tops 220...

That's exactly what he said, wants to lose some dead weight and replace it with muscle. Gary Roberts, he's all yours!

Last edited:

Sjb141

Dec 11, 2008
Pouliot has a huge lower body (like Sid). He's definitely 200, but if he was as ripped as most NHL players he'd probably be 185-190ish. Frame is not an issue but he does need a good amount of gym work.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Matia Marcantuoni with a sign of life! A goal and an assist yesterday, his first tally since Nov 15 and first multi-point game of the season.

Oh wow. I knew he was struggling again, this season... but that's pretty dismal.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think he really impressed them in both of his camps.

Plus he seems pretty arrogant. That's always a big plus.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I do wonder why they signed him so soon.

Umm, why not? It's just easier to sign him to the standard ELC without bonuses, whereas if he had a crazy year or two after being drafted, he may have asked for more. If you like the player, get them under contract right away. What's the downside?

Pouliot has a huge lower body (like Sid). He's definitely 200, but if he was as ripped as most NHL players he'd probably be 185-190ish. Frame is not an issue but he does need a good amount of gym work.

Well he doesn't have a strong upper body. You can tell, when he goes into the corners or battling guys at the front of the net. I know you don't want a huge upper body for hockey, but DP's got a bit more of a wide frame than typical of a player that size, and he absolutely can add more strength. He's going to need to become stronger to handle guys at the pro level, especially if he wants to have any physicality to his game.

He looks way smaller than 200 lbs. His height seems correct at 6'0 as you could see when he was standing/sitting next to other guys at the WJC. But if he is 200 lbs then Letang tops 220...

That's exactly what he said, wants to lose some dead weight and replace it with muscle. Gary Roberts, he's all yours!

Good. I'm glad I remembered that one correctly, and that DP basically confirmed our assumptions about his weight/strength. I'll be really interested to see how he progresses in this regard, because I do believe it will have a big impact on just how good he can be and the type of game he can play at the NHL level.

The only issue I'm worried about is his lack of diligence around the net. If he picks up sticks and has good positioning that will be enough.

DP is extremely sound positionally, and very aware of his surroundings, including the front of the net. And he pretty much has to use his stick well in front of the net and in the corners, and rely on that and good gap control when facing on-rushing forwards because he isn't (yet) strong enough to knock them down. My biggest concerns are gaining this strength, adding an extra gear to his skating, and picking his spots for when to jump into the play carefully (i.e. making sure he has guys behind him to support him), because he doesn't have that recovery speed, at least not as of now.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Umm, why not? It's just easier to sign him to the standard ELC without bonuses, whereas if he had a crazy year or two after being drafted, he may have asked for more. If you like the player, get them under contract right away. What's the downside?

Because they could have wasted a contract on him, if he started to put up some decent numbers then go ahead and give him a deal. It's not like he was tearing it up.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Because they could have wasted a contract on him, if he started to put up some decent numbers then go ahead and give him a deal. It's not like he was tearing it up.

Wasted a contract? You're talking about one of our 50 contract spots? I think that's WELL worth the risk when you've just chosen a player you love 8th overall. That's better than maybe not being able to sign him and losing him for nothing or getting pennies on the dollar for his rights.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Wasted a contract? You're talking about one of our 50 contract spots? I think that's WELL worth the risk when you've just chosen a player you love 8th overall. That's better than maybe not being able to sign him and losing him for nothing or getting pennies on the dollar for his rights.

I was talking about Macaroni not Pouliot :).

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I was talking about Macaroni not Pouliot :).

haha, fair enough. Missed that one, lol.

For Macaroni, who knows? Maybe they thought he'd be back to his pre-draft form, light it up and want 1st round money. In that case, it's a worthy gamble, but we'll see if we reach our contract limit and if this becomes an issue.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
On the back of the 'Joe Morrow has turned things around' talk towards the end of the last thread...

https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/status/427146236408242176

Looks like the Pens concerns over that kid's defense were not exaggerated. Some red flags went up for me last year when I heard they were having to completely tear down his defensive game and start over with him at that part of the game because it was so bad. He has fantastic offensive ability though. Can't deny that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad