Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
good trade for Pittsburgh

what a dirty move by Yzerman to Philly lmao

Hardly dirty, and mostly expected.

Just because we wont deal with Pittsburgh, doesnt mean we care if someone goes and trades a player to him. We likely miss the playoffs anyway, so the Streit to Pitt deal has no effect on us.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal

Just because we wont deal with Pittsburgh, doesnt mean we care if someone goes and trades a player to him. We likely miss the playoffs anyway, so the Streit to Pitt deal has no effect on us.
we will deal with pitt just fine. We got a better fourth with less retain from TB and a player asset we can use. In fact we probably knew that PIT wanted him which is why the conditional 7th was there.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
we will deal with pitt just fine. We got a better fourth with less retain from TB and a player asset we can use. In fact we probably knew that PIT wanted him which is why the conditional 7th was there.

I wasn't in the room, but i'm willing to wager that if a phone call was made, Hextall would have asked for more than a 4th for Streit from Pitt.

Moot point though, as we got a player we needed, a 4th and a 7th.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Has nothing to do with that. PIT didn't have a #3C they could trade PHI, and they couldn't get Streit from PHI with the retention that they could with TB in the mix.

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
Hextall was just on local philly sports channel and they asked him about the Streit deal to Pittsburgh and they essentially asked if he had talks with Pitt. And he said it wouldn't be fair to talk about If there were talks. Then said I'm pretty good friends with Jim Rutherford over there so you can read between the lines.

Yeah.....it really looks like Tampa and Pitt really pulled a fast one over on that Flyers :laugh::laugh:

All 3 were probably on the phone together

Apr 10, 2012
Inner Space
It was a win win for both teams (PIT/TB) while Pittsburgh's vets get healthy. I have no problem with this trade at all but I imagine some Philly fans aren't thrilled.

None that I have spoken of! Some don't mind it, but I haven't seen one negative about this trade from any Flyers fans.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Considering a year ago Flip was a complete dead space waste of a contract, this is amazing. Gives us 5 Million to go a long ways re-signing Palat, Johnson and Drouin and Flip is replaceable in our system right now. Glad we finally cleared off some of these centers. We had like 7 on the roster at one point haha.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Considering a year ago Flip was a complete dead space waste of a contract, this is amazing. Gives us 5 Million to go a long ways re-signing Palat, Johnson and Drouin and Flip is replaceable in our system right now. Glad we finally cleared off some of these centers. We had like 7 on the roster at one point haha.

Hextall should have made this acquisition ahead of the ED not now.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
1G 1A in his debut for the Pens vs the Bolts. He got the game winner. TB traded him to the Pens so they could lose the game. :sarcasm:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
1G 1A in his debut for the Pens vs the Bolts. He got the game winner. TB traded him to the Pens so they could lose the game. :sarcasm:

What's funny is that they probably thought he'd be a detriment to the playoff push...they were right. :sarcasm:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Not crazy about the amount of minutes he and Hainsey have been getting by necessity. Hainsey is getting 25 minutes per game and Streit 20 minutes a game.

Both have done extremely well with the minutes, but ideally over the course of the rest of this year and the playoffs you would shave at least 5 or more minutes off of each.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Not crazy about the amount of minutes he and Hainsey have been getting by necessity. Hainsey is getting 25 minutes per game and Streit 20 minutes a game.

Both have done extremely well with the minutes, but ideally over the course of the rest of this year and the playoffs you would shave at least 5 or more minutes off of each.

While I tend to agree that those probably could have been spread out more (everyone else was under 20, around 19 mins), he's been having pretty strong games even while getting 20+ minutes a night. Streit at 19:30 didn't bother me in the least. I felt he had a strong game, playing basically how we should have expected him to. Decent in his own end, moving the puck well, and playing great in the offensive end. Other than being a tad slow a couple of times (speed wise) I didn't even think that was an issue, and he generally moved around a lot better than I was expecting he would.

So while yeah, playing both 20+ minutes a night down the stretch (20 games in 40 nights), probably isn't the best idea, as we start to get bodies back (cough Letang cough), I don't think it's that much of an issue.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Bar manager at my local's a Philly fan. He's still livid.

:laugh:

Probably not a smart hockey fan then. I think this trade works for all teams involved. Flyers needed an upgrade in their top 6 and did not want to get into a bidding war this offseason, either overpaying for a FA or not upgrading their team in fear of said overpayment. For two seasons, Filppula is a good 2C. I don't love the trade/player but I think it makes a sense for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad