Confirmed Trade: [PIT/TB] Mark Streit (50% retained) for a 4th in 2018

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Look what Hanzal returned in a trade this deadline. Philly could possibly trade him at next years deadline for a similar return if they want to.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Essentially, the Lightning traded Filpula, 2017 4th and 2017 7th for a 2018 4th. Seems like the Lightning really wanted to get rid of Filpula's salary or else they come out of this as losers with negative assets.

Take a glance at their cap number and it'll be confirmed. TBL now have nearly 20M in cap space to sign their big three young RFAs, and have no expansion draft issues to boot.

I'm not saying turning around and shipping Streit was some kind of MENSA-level brilliance by Yzerman, but the whole series of moves was just good management all around.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Look what Hanzal returned in a trade this deadline. Philly could possibly trade him at next years deadline for a similar return if they want to.

If he performs well and also grows a few inches, gains 30lbs, and is excellent on the dot.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Essentially, the Lightning traded Filpula, 2017 4th and 2017 7th for a 2018 4th. Seems like the Lightning really wanted to get rid of Filpula's salary or else they come out of this as losers with negative assets.
and the ability NOT to have to protect him from ED in 4 months, thus losing a more valuable player.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Stevie Freaking Y.

Thank you Detroit for letting him come to us.

The man is brilliant as a GM.

Shoofyou10

Apr 30, 2009
The Burgh
As a Pens fan, I'm not really a fan of Streit at this point in his career. I guess he's better than Gaunce or Reuwedul but he got burnt for a couple of goals in the Stadium Series game on Saturday and I was thinking that he was toast.

One thing that I do love is that the Flyers are paying some salary of a current Penguin. That just makes me happy for some reason

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
All the talk is centered around Yzerman, who did very well here.

Way too little talk about how Rutherford got a depth defenseman with 21 points in 49 games for a 4th, while getting the other team to retain 50%.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
All the talk is centered around Yzerman, who did very well here.

Way too little talk about how Rutherford got a depth defenseman with 21 points in 49 games for a 4th, while getting the other team to retain 50%.

It was a win win for both teams (PIT/TB) while Pittsburgh's vets get healthy. I have no problem with this trade at all but I imagine some Philly fans aren't thrilled.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Congrats to Streit on a wonderful tenure as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Think his number goes up?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Great move by Tampa to move Flippula for a pending FA. Free's up cap space to try and keep their own RFAs going forward while also opening up a ED protection slot. Even better that they were able to flip said FA to PIT for another pick.

Basically they moved Flippula and it cost them a little money. And good on PIT for getting another D. We used 8D last playoffs, and given the injuries we already have, getting more depth is always a good thing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It was a win win for both teams (PIT/TB) while Pittsburgh's vets get healthy. I have no problem with this trade at all but I imagine some Philly fans aren't thrilled.

What are you talking about? Philly got a #3 C, a 4th, and a 7th for someone who was worth a 4th. And next year, Flips value is much higher if Philly wants to trade him at the deadline.

This was a very good deal for Philly.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Second time Yzerman has acted as a middle-man for two teams that won't deal with each other.

Pit got Streit with 54.7% retained on him. That's not something that they could have gotten directly from Philly.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, exactly how hurt are Maatta, Letang and Daley?

Daley and Maatta are set to return around when the playoffs start and Letang is TBD. We iced Ruhwedel (who?) and Gaunce (wha?) yesterday.

Enough uncertainty there to appreciate getting a few depth defensemen.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What are you talking about? Philly got a #3 C, a 4th, and a 7th for someone who was worth a 4th. And next year, Flips value is much higher if Philly wants to trade him at the deadline.

This was a very good deal for Philly.

Yeah there's really no negatives here. PHI gets a very good center, PIT gets a depth D on the cheap and TBL cleared cap space for their RFAs and for the ED.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, exactly how hurt are Maatta, Letang and Daley?

Maatta & Daley both had surgery and will be out another 4 weeks or so. So not major issues but you never know how someone will be when they return from surgery. Neither were exactly lights-out before the injuries, either.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Philly fans are thrilled. We got a 40pt player for 1 year and a 4th and a 7th for a UFA who was leaving.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Pit got Streit with 54.7% retained on him. That's not something that they could have gotten directly from Philly.

It's actually only 52.35%. Each team can retain a maximum of 50% of its own salary obligation. So, with PHI on the hook for 4.7%, TB retains 50% of the remainder, which is 47.65% of the total. Then, PIT is left with other 47.65%.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's actually only 52.35%. Each team can retain a maximum of 50% of its own salary obligation. So, with PHI on the hook for 4.7%, TB retains 50% of the remainder, which is 47.65% of the total. Then, PIT is left with other 47.65%.

Whatever. You get the point. PIT is getting Streit at a cap hit that wasn't possible if they'd dealt directly with PHI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad