Confirmed Trade: [PIT/SJS/MTL] Nick Bonino (50%) to PIT; Arvid Henrikson, 2024 5th, 2023 7th to SJS; Tony Sund, 2024 5th to MTL

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If we retained half for a 7th while a third team retained 25% for a 5th, yes that should be enough grounds to prove incompetence. Now if the sharks retained 0 and the entire 50% retain was on team 3 then I understand but if the rumored 75% is true that insanity
Considering the assets involved (they're not meaningful), it reads like looking for a reason to be upset with a nothing move.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Considering the assets involved (they're not meaningful), it reads like looking for a reason to be upset with a nothing move.
Any outrage over the Bonino trade isn’t in a vacuum. It’s overall frustration at Pittsburgh management coming to a head with the moves over the past week being a water shed moment in outrage for the fan base. A good deal of the fan base is in scorched earth emotion over anything and everything Hextall/Burke related.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
How do we still not have the details about this trade? Who is the 3rd party broker?

The fact it's so quiet tells me it must be a team that does not have much media coverage, someone like the Ducks. :dunno:

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the big thing is that it shows massive incompetence when you combine it with other moves.
Massive incompetence over an expiring contract and a 5th and 7th round pick is overstating the issue. Even in the worst possible outlook to this reported deal, it can be chalked up to a GM doing a veteran on his last legs a favor. They're at worst getting a 7th round pick for someone who probably does not belong on a playoff team. I don't see the problem here.
Any outrage over the Bonino trade isn’t in a vacuum. It’s overall frustration at Pittsburgh management coming to a head with the moves over the past week being a water shed moment in outrage for the fan base. A good deal of the fan base is in scorched earth emotion over anything and everything Hextall/Burke related.
My post was in relation to the Sharks and not the Pens. I don't really have an opinion on Hextall and his moves as I haven't kept up on them.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Massive incompetence over an expiring contract and a 5th and 7th round pick is overstating the issue. Even in the worst possible outlook to this reported deal, it can be chalked up to a GM doing a veteran on his last legs a favor. They're at worst getting a 7th round pick for someone who probably does not belong on a playoff team. I don't see the problem here.

My post was in relation to the Sharks and not the Pens. I don't really have an opinion on Hextall and his moves as I haven't kept up on them.
Someone made a good point. Every bad trade that Grier has made has been written off as him doing someone a favor. Maybe Grier is just a bad trader.

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

It’s cool. :laugh: Pens fans are outraged all over the board so I was trying to pull a camp counselor move there. :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Someone made a good point. Every bad trade that Grier has made has been written off as him doing someone a favor. Maybe Grier is just a bad trader.
Is it a good point though? What bad trades are we talking about? Seems like ignoring context to have an excuse to complain.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
that's most likely a paper move so DOC can play in the AHL playoffs if necessary
Id say actually its just that DOC is the only waiver exempt player, so it's a paper move to free a little space to make moves today. Fully expect someone else would go down to get DOC back up tomorrow.

Has this been confirmed? Still looking like a rumor to me.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
BOS and CAR shaking in their boots.
Boston is 2-0 vs the Pens, one of those being the outdoor game where Jarry left like 5 minutes into the game with injury, and the other was the 6-5 overtime win in November.

Carolina is 4-0 vs the Pens, but really the officiating in all of those games was really terrible both ways and the series should be 2-2. Everyone of those 4 games was a 1 goal game, with two going to overtime.

Like a single bounce either way and these series results could be flipped in the Pens favor.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Bonino is a Caps killer and very despised in recent Caps memory. He's up there with Phil Bourque, Ulf Samuelsson, Talbot, etc with Caps fans. He was a crucial figure in beating the Caps imho along with Guentzel during those back to back cups He is much older, but never rule out a guy with a reputation in the playoffs.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Harvey Birdman

Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Bonino is a Caps killer and very despised in recent Caps memory. He's up there with Phil Bourque, Ulf Samuelsson, Talbot, etc with Caps fans. He was a crucial figure in beating the Caps imho along with Guentzel during those back to back cups He is much older, but never rule out a guy with a reputation in the playoffs.
God I miss the Talbot playoff antics. :laugh: Max will always have a soft spot in my heart due to those playoff years.

Reactions: Captain97

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad