Confirmed Trade: [PIT/MTL] Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling for Mike Matheson and 2023 4th round pick

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Aside from like two plays last night I’ve really liked both him and Rutta.
Petry was easily the worst skater on ice last night for either team. He was OK in the first 2. Hopefully its bump in the road but another game or 4 like that and the boo birds will start

Reactions: Pens x

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
1 goal and 2 assists tonight.

Puts him at point per game for the season, playing 22min a night. He and Rutta have helped ease Letang’s minutes, specifically on the PK.

Poehling also crushes it on the PK, got himself a SHG.

Loving the trade so far. :)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Poehling is mostly whatever, he's a solid depth guy who fills that Riley Sheahan type of "4C eating defensive minutes" role pretty well. I'd never want to pay him any sort of substantial money, but he's really nice on a cheap deal in a depth role.

Petry's an absolute gamechanger on the 2nd pair, though. The combination of him behind Letang with a health Zucker and Malkin has completely revived the Penguins 2nd line. The Zucker-Malkin-Rust line is one of the top lines analytically this year, and I think having such a dynamic player in Petry behind them (like how the Crosby line gets Letang) has helped with that. The offensive impact from the blueline with having one of Letang or Petry on the ice for 3/4 of a game can't be understated.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Jerkbait posting Jerkbait once again. Petry has been lights out.
Ya it was evident he was gonna bounce back but Habs had to trade him. You don't keep a guy that's losing his shit multiple times at his own teammates, throws the coach under the bus, and most importantly watches his goalie get run over and doesn't do anything. That last one really bothered Hughes and Gorton which was the driving force for the trade to happen. Seems like a move that works out for both teams, a guy like Matheson is incredibly useful for the Habs.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Petry is a solid dman

Good for him if he's having success with you guys, he was a machine for us

#NeverForget

fusd8gdp1u571.jpg

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Petry was easily the worst skater on ice last night for either team. He was OK in the first 2. Hopefully its bump in the road but another game or 4 like that and the boo birds will start

Do you post the opposite of what is reality? Because it seems like if someone wanted the right opinion of a player/team, all they'd have to do is post the opposite of whatever your take is.

• Haha
Reactions: Boud and Andrei79

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Glad to see that Petry has recovered from the effects of the personal issues that were plaguing him last year and bounced back; only distraction and a loss of motivation could explain so severe a decline in his performance.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think Poehling is mostly whatever, he's a solid depth guy who fills that Riley Sheahan type of "4C eating defensive minutes" role pretty well. I'd never want to pay him any sort of substantial money, but he's really nice on a cheap deal in a depth role.

Petry's an absolute gamechanger on the 2nd pair, though. The combination of him behind Letang with a health Zucker and Malkin has completely revived the Penguins 2nd line. The Zucker-Malkin-Rust line is one of the top lines analytically this year, and I think having such a dynamic player in Petry behind them (like how the Crosby line gets Letang) has helped with that. The offensive impact from the blueline with having one of Letang or Petry on the ice for 3/4 of a game can't be understated.

Yep. Fans here in Montreal have been saying for years how much Petry's improved since leaving Edmonton. He was aging like fine wine until that debacle of a season last year under the worst coach in the league. He loved living in Montreal too until Covid hit. Very glad to hear he's doing well.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Jeff Petry is a #3 dman who can carry a D-pairing. He is at his best when he is playing 2nd pairing. He can also log 25 mins a game if needed and is a monster in the playoffs.

Why people were crapping on him this summer is beyond me. Its uneducated fans who have not seen him play. That includes many Pens fans who were clueless to what Petry brings to the table.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jeff Petry is a #3 dman who can carry a D-pairing. He is at his best when he is playing 2nd pairing. He can also log 25 mins a game if needed and is a monster in the playoffs.

Why people were crapping on him this summer is beyond me. Its uneducated fans who have not seen him play. That includes many Pens fans who were clueless to what Petry brings to the table.

It’s funny, I had Petry and Burns as marks for Letang replacements because I figured he’d walk for the cash. Getting Petry while retaining Letang is a coup especially considering we got rid of Matheson and Marino for him.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Glad he got his ass kicked against the habs. Watching your goalie get run does not belong in hockey, good riddance. Only one guy left on the team who was on the ice that evening, and he got called out publically this week.

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
Glad he got his ass kicked against the habs. Watching your goalie get run does not belong in hockey, good riddance. Only one guy left on the team who was on the ice that evening, and he got called out publically this week.
Who’s left? I can’t remember

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Apart from the first half of last season, Petry was generally fantastic for the Habs. Glad to see him succeed elsewhere.
Petry's emergence as a Norris contending dman was one of my favourite Habs stories from the Bergevin era. He was an inconsistent 2nd pairing guy when he came along and really stepped up when he needed to (i.e. when Weber's injury issues started piling up). Dude was an absolute force out there for like a two year stretch and really earned his fat extension although it just wasn't the right team anymore he signed it with. It's so unfortunate it had to end like it did for Petry in Montreal but I'm so glad he's seemingly having a bounce back season.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
What a steal from Montreal !

Kent Hughes transformed a rapidly declining 35 years old defenseman with negative value who wanted out + a 1st round bust... into a faster, younger, cheaper, more productive and overall much better defenseman + a 4th round pick.

Matheson has been a bright spot in a difficult season for the Habs. Really impressed by him.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He does look like a completely different player compared to his Panther days and the trade does look very good.

The one thing I will say is that we've seen players come to Montreal and play at a shockingly high level for around half a season...and then the player's game falls off a cliff and goes back to what we saw on his previous team. Saw it with Domi. Saw it with Pitlick last year vs this year. Saw it with Anderson (in a smaller sample) in the Canadian division season.

Matheson has yet to reach 40 GP this season.

So the true judgment will be next season in my view.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Kent Hughes transformed a rapidly declining 35 years old defenseman with negative value who wanted out + a 1st round bust... into a faster, younger, cheaper, more productive and overall much better defenseman + a 4th round pick.

Matheson has been a bright spot in a difficult season for the Habs. Really impressed by him.

Works for both teams. Poehling has been one of our best bottom six guys when healthy and is likely cost controlled the next few years and Petry has been everything we could expect.

Matheson looked like the same Matheson against us a few weeks ago. Two steps forward one step back every shift. He was a favorite of mine just couldn’t handle top four minutes in the playoffs and be trusted.

Reactions: Colezuki

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Works for both teams. Poehling has been one of our best bottom six guys when healthy and is likely cost controlled the next few years and Petry has been everything we could expect.

Matheson looked like the same Matheson against us a few weeks ago. Two steps forward one step back every shift. He was a favorite of mine just couldn’t handle top four minutes in the playoffs and be trusted.
You were the biggest Petry fan last year, but now it’s suddenly two steps forward, one step back? You turn on every single player the second they leave Pittsburgh.

And Petry has had injury issues and has played mediocre, at best, in many games.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022

wait i thought petry was a top pair dman and he just had an off year :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad