Confirmed Trade: [PIT/MTL] Jeff Petry and Ryan Poehling for Mike Matheson and 2023 4th round pick

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Works for both teams. Poehling has been one of our best bottom six guys when healthy and is likely cost controlled the next few years and Petry has been everything we could expect.

Matheson looked like the same Matheson against us a few weeks ago. Two steps forward one step back every shift. He was a favorite of mine just couldn’t handle top four minutes in the playoffs and be trusted.
I think he's found another gear to his game in Montreal, being THE guy as opposed to be second fiddle to Letang. He's also at an age were experience starts to kick in for many defenders.

I don't think he'd play the same if he stayed in Pittsburgh, it's a good trade for both teams IMO. Petry didn't want to be in Montreal, he had to be traded and management didn't want to block retention space for the next 3 years, so it was hard to trade him for pure futures.

Poehling is a guy who was unlucky with injuries during his time as a hab. Questionable maturity as well, normal at his age, but it's not something NHL team have a lot of patience with. The tools were always there, glad he's found a home with the Pens.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Mike Matheson has been surprisingly good for Montreal. I remember him as a total defensive liability in his Panther days and hated the Petry trade. Fast forward to today, wow. I was wrong. That was a good trade for the Habs.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Mike Matheson has been surprisingly good for Montreal. I remember him as a total defensive liability in his Panther days and hated the Petry trade. Fast forward to today, wow. I was wrong. That was a good trade for the Habs.

He was a total tire fire in his Panthers days. Good for him but it took five years, still have nightmares watching him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think he's found another gear to his game in Montreal, being THE guy as opposed to be second fiddle to Letang. He's also at an age were experience starts to kick in for many defenders.

I don't think he'd play the same if he stayed in Pittsburgh, it's a good trade for both teams IMO. Petry didn't want to be in Montreal, he had to be traded and management didn't want to block retention space for the next 3 years, so it was hard to trade him for pure futures.

Poehling is a guy who was unlucky with injuries during his time as a hab. Questionable maturity as well, normal at his age, but it's not something NHL team have a lot of patience with. The tools were always there, glad he's found a home with the Pens.

It’s easy to “find another gear” when there is no expectations.

His raw production have inflated because he’s playing 6 more minutes a night. Every other metric has fallen off a cliff compared to his play last year in PIT and the previous year.

Matheson carved out a great role in PIT, but he just can’t be trusted in high pressure situations which means he wasn’t worth his contract for a “contender”.

He’s probably a top ten player to watch though so I get what your seeing and saying.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
It’s easy to “find another gear” when there is no expectations.

His raw production have inflated because he’s playing 6 more minutes a night. Every other metric has fallen off a cliff compared to his play last year in PIT and the previous year.

Matheson carved out a great role in PIT, but he just can’t be trusted in high pressure situations which means he wasn’t worth his contract for a “contender”.

He’s probably a top ten player to watch though so I get what your seeing and saying.
There's a ton of examples of players becoming better in another environment, I'm not sure why it can't be the case for Matheson.

Maybe he wasn't worth his contract in Pittsburgh, but I disagree he isn't worth his contract to a contender if Petry his worth his. He's a similar player to Petry defensively (not perfect), a little less physical, but prone to bad decisions.

The metrics have far more to do with the team he's playing on then the individual player impact.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He was a total tire fire in his Panthers days. Good for him but it took five years, still have nightmares watching him.
He was a total tire-fire in the games against the Habs in particular. Don't know what changed but he is effective in all zones and uses his skating to his advantage. Amazing skater and fun to watch.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
It's fitting that Matheson was traded for Petry. They both were frustrating defensemen early in their careers who blossomed at around the same age, in their late 20s.

Matheson is turning into a beast. The talent is impressive and his conditioning is off the charts. He's turning into a great 2nd pairing D that has the skills to step up on the first pair in emergency situations.

Add all the little things, like the fact he is a local guy, has a great cap hit and is the opposite of Petry in terms of attitude. It's a win for us!

Reactions: schnapshot

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Not really. But keep pushing that narrative.
LOL!

He was a total tire-fire in the games against the Habs in particular. Don't know what changed but he is effective in all zones and uses his skating to his advantage. Amazing skater and fun to watch.

He was always an amazing skater but had shit for brains during this Panthers days. Awful turnover machine, I don't think a single Panther fan was sorry to see him go. Some guys just take longer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad