Confirmed Buy-Out [PIT] Jack Johnson

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Gotta love how "since the cups," which cuts out 50% of his tenure, is the starting point.

Because that's when he started making egregious moves with regularity. Full credit to him for managing to put together those teams, but he's botched the roster since then.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
To be fair, some of the "bad" trades are trades viewed based on results rather than "at the time" value. Like Sheahan and Brassard.

Sheahan+5th for Wilson+3rd. Wilson was a fringe player and Sheahan filled the 3C nice adequately but it never clicked. Performed as expected.

Brassard for Cole, Gusty, 1st (think Reaves too). Brassard was the premium center available and this was widely applauded. We were in a position to three-peat better than any team in the cap era.

Both turned out poopy due to their play and overall impact but that doesn't mean they weren't good trades. Then he takes two non-impact UFAs to be, a 2nd, and a 4th and turns them into Bjustad and McCann. That's another pretty good deal that took advantage of Florida's desire to cut salary. Again though, Bjugstad didn't perform here and alas had to be traded. McCann is a young, versatile center/wing for us. Each trade at the time made the Penguins a better team, at least on paper and in theory. Those players brought in that didn't perform as expected often bias the trade itself towards the bad side.

In reality, I can only think of the one bad signing in JJ. All others have been fair. I thought Phil was traded for less than what he was worth but JR didn't have much leverage and Kessel vetoed and much better swap with Minny. Not totally JR's fault there. With the Zucker and Kapanen trade now though, the price he paid was slightly higher than what most of us would have liked. Basically a 1st and a dump for Zucker (I tend not to include Addison because we got POJ in the Kessel trade) and then a 1st and a quality prospect of Kapanen. Hefty prices but he brought in two help now players that fit our style. Last, he swaps Horny for Matheson which we can debate all day and all parties are right. Jarry got signed to a fair deal as well. So really...it's the JJ signing that's been a bust.

Being at the end of the window with the mandate to still win now, I'd rather have the horse trader in JR than a GM that sits on his hands and doesn't make moves hoping that one draft pick helps us in 4 years.
Don't forget, Vegas ate around $1.8m of Brassard's cap hit in '18. Nobody ever mentions that...or the $1.2m Toronto is STILL paying to the Hot Dogs for Phil fund.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Kevin Stevens deserves credit for Marino... Pete for Sprong was a fair trade... Zucker was good... I’d mention the trade that is now just McCann. That was a decent trade... The whole Kessel thing is too complicated to pin on just him...

However, you can cite as many bad trades/signings as well.
Kessel was a fantastic trade from leafs ...2 cups they dont win without him...the next trade wasn't so pretty but wasn't much choice, can't really blame GM on that one

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Kessel was a fantastic trade from leafs ...2 cups they dont win without him...the next trade wasn't so pretty but wasn't much choice, can't really blame GM on that one

Certainly. That was too messy to criticize JR solely for.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The last time Jack Johnson lost out on this much money it was because he trusted his parents.

To be fair, I actually think he earns back most of the money he lost out on. I think JJ probably gets a 1-2 year deal at about $1.5-$2 million a year. His buyout only lost him like $2.75 million, so I think he gets that back on a new contract.

Reactions: qqaz

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Uh, that's basically nothing :laugh:

Like half of the league has more in dead cap space than the Penguins including Bjugstad, and even more than that has more than 1.5% of dead cap space.
Yeah but the Pens have 8M in dead capspace between the JJ buyout, Bjugstad retention and Mikey Matheson's contract. lol

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
When the Kings got him everyone was like Jack Mother f****** Johnson,
Right before they traded him everyone was like Jack Mother f****** Johnson,

Same name but 2 entirely different sentiments. ha ha ha

Reactions: Son Goku

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
JJ was a no hockey IQ sloth who couldn’t shut down a beach ball.

Matheson is a no hockey IQ speed demon who can’t shut down a beach ball. What the point of skating fast when you your brain delay leads to horrible turn overs multiple times a game.

Penguins traded an expensive whipping boy for a more expensive whipping boy.
Maybe you should watch him play before you whip him FFS

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You think the Zucker trade was a win for the Penguins?

No way! A first round pick, their #1 defensive prospect in Calen Addison, and Alex Galchenyuk (who was the return from the failed Kessel trade).

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here.

Easily worth a Top 6 forward for 4 playoff runs.

We just better not get a lottery pick next season.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Maybe you should watch him play before you whip him FFS
There is a reason Florida fans were estatic about the trade. It’s not because Matheson is some slept on small market gem. JJ was a rotten grape and Matheson is a rotten strawberry. Different types of fruit yet rotten none the less. Matheson has age on his side and plenty of contract time to figure things out in his noggin. Wouldn’t hold your breath though, he has done nothing but regress since that one okay fluke season of his.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Either return to Columbus or signs a very cheap deal with Tampa.
I think he's okay as a #6. Everyone hates their #6 dman. There are probably less than half a dozen teams in the league whose fan bases don't want to dump their #6 and upgrade. And when your #6 has a disgusting contract, it's natural to see the venom.

But look how many "this guy's the worst" dmen slotted right into the right roles at the right money in Tampa, and suddenly they are "okay" again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad