Waived: [PIT] F Radim Zohorna waived by the Penguins (cleared)

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why? He's a career AHL player that plays a soft and slow game. He does nothing except make easy telegraphed passes and chest snipes
I'm not angry. I'm indifferent. He hasn't been playing well lately and he doesn't really have anything that makes him stand out.

He's 6'7 though. If he was 5'11, he'd be out of the league and no one would notice.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Soff and inconsistent

EeI1Kk.gif

If he ever put it together he could be an effective middle 6 forward. Except he never has and probably never will at this point. 3 different teams have tried.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Underwhelming player. I don't know how he did in Calgary, but he was pretty much ineffective in Pittsburgh. He's not a liability or anything, but I wouldn't call him an addition either.
Your assessment is equally valid to describe his time in Calgary.

Someone said he reminded them of a Great Dane, all size and way too nice.

Reactions: BHD

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Your assessment is equally valid to describe his time in Calgary.

Someone said he reminded them of a Great Dane, all size and way too nice.
Spot on. In the off-season, I said that someone needs to show him tapes of Lucic or Wilson. If he could develop some snarl and physicality, he'd be a tremendous addition to any lineup. But on any given night, he usually just exists.

He made himself redundant. I could see Chicago claiming him though.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He had a great start but is an empty sweater lately. Happens sometimes when guys finally get their shot. They can't sustain the energy.

Dubas stocked his farm system with bottom 6 lottery tickets with the plan to rotate them through based on play. Here's hoping ZoHo gets through waivers, gets it worked out and gets another shot.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I feel like everything being said in this thread can be true all at once.

-Zohorna has been soft and ineffective and his production has dried up.
-That can partly be blamed on usage.
-Sullivan has given priority to worse players.
-Every Pens fan could see this coming from a mile away.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I feel like everything being said in this thread can be true all at once.

-Zohorna has been soft and ineffective and his production has dried up.
-That can partly be blamed on usage.
-Sullivan has given priority to worse players.
-Every Pens fan could see this coming from a mile away.
I don't know about the "worse" part. Zohorna isn't any better than Nieto, Harkins, or Carter in my mind. Harkins at least shows a higher-end level of competitiveness and willingness to mix it up, something Zohorna doesn't do. As much as I don't like Harkins, I can at least see why Sullivan picks him over Zohorna. Carter has out-produced him and is decent at faceoffs. It's less of "Carter and Harkins are good" and more of "Zohorna is worse".

He cleared, so he will go back to WBS. This is a non-issue for us now.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
There are worse players in the league. After a very solid start, he got his chance, even Dubas talked about him in a sense how curious he is with Zohorna keeping that and handling some adversity. He did nothing in last 2 months. Janson Harkins earned the spot in the lineup over him and I really mean earned. Not because Harkins was any good, but he was just more noticeable than Zohorna lately. I could see him having a spot in Chicago or San Jose but he is a 13th forward on almost every other team.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
You do realize we have one of the weakest prospect pools for years in the NHL for a while now, its how we were able to make the playoff streak of 16 years (which I am fine with) shipping off draft picks. I dont believe Sullivan is holding back the next great one that is just waiting to explode into the league being handcuffed in our farm system. Zohorna was also waived by 2 other teams
And they also had a bottom pool in 2016. Rust and Guentzel were 3rd round picks. Not saying they have players like that in the system right now but let's not pretend any young player has been given a chance like they were.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
And they also had a bottom pool in 2016. Rust and Guentzel were 3rd round picks. Not saying they have players like that in the system right now but let's not pretend any young player has been given a chance like they were.
I mean, we've had a wave of young guys (and reclamation projects) run through the team this year, looking for someone to stick. So far no one has. Puustinen looks good so far, lets hope it lasts. Harkins has been up and down a couple times. Ludvig and Shea got looks. Poulin is healthy and playing well now, so I'm eager to see him get his shot next. Those guys in 2016 and 2017 (don't forget Sheary, Kuhnhackl and Wilson) all earned their spot in the lineup when the chance came. Here's hoping we get that again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad