Waived: [PIT] F Radim Zohorna waived by the Penguins (cleared)

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I think he could have an arc like Freddie Gaudreau. He had 8 points in his first 84 games and then as a 26-27 year old got a real shot with MIN and stuck. Zohorna is 27 and has 18 points in 66 games. Has looked great at times as a wing for Eller on PIT’s 3rd line. But his production and TOI has dropped. If CHI is still looking for forwards he would be a great claim.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
He's a couple steps below being an NHL player. Unlike Gaudreau, who I immediately really liked and saw his hockey IQ and skill level...Zohorna can't catch or make passes, he's not very coordinated, he's not a mauler by any means - he has to think about being physical before actually committing to it - he's not a genius. It's closer to Plotnikov than anything interesting.

The player that played with jump for the first 6 or 7 games of the year made it seem like he had a chance to turn the corner...but once that died off, his minor level of competency washed away with it. Hope he gets claimed, WBS doesn't need any more vets.

Reactions: hn777

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I think he could have an arc like Freddie Gaudreau. He had 8 points in his first 84 games and then as a 26-27 year old got a real shot with MIN and stuck. Zohorna is 27 and has 18 points in 66 games. Has looked great at times as a wing for Eller on PIT’s 3rd line. But his production and TOI has dropped. If CHI is still looking for forwards he would be a great claim.
Looked great is definitely an over-statement. He looked ok but he was playing for his NHL career. Once that honeymoon ended you see the real clumsy Zohorna who handles the puck like a grenade at times. His size helps keep the dream alive but unfortunately he's a tweener NHLer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Gonna be a lot of angry Pens fans
Not if we already expected it.

With the way things have gone during the latter part of the Sullivan era, you can predict immediately who will get waived, who will see their ice time drastically reduced for no reason, and who will keep getting minutes no matter whether their play justifies it.

Reactions: SEALBound

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not if we already expected it.

With the way things have gone during the latter part of the Sullivan era, you can predict immediately who will get waived, who will see their ice time drastically reduced for no reason, and who will keep getting minutes no matter whether their play justifies it.

Zohorna has 1 point since November 20th. Not everything is Mike Sullivan's fault.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Zohorna has 1 point since November 20th. Not everything is Mike Sullivan's fault.
Let me have my angst.

And let's be honest, even if Zohorna had 6 or 7 points over that time frame he'd still get removed from the lineup ahead of a player whose name rhyms with Snarkins.

It's predictable, regardless of production, which types of players will get waived/demoted/reduced ice time and which ones will get more rope than their play for 10 games deserves.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
When he comes barrelling down his off wing and uses his size and reach to hold off the defender and then score you're like this guy is an NHL player but then the rest of the time you think this guy is not quite an NHL player.

Reactions: hn777

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

He sure has a hand in who gets an opportunity to produce! And surely, with ZERO young players having emerged for us post Guentzel, there is no argument that Sullivan builds up anybody, rather he pidgeon holes guys into roles in which they do nothing and their mistakes are magnified. Zo played with a pulse. Some times that means eating a few minutes. With us it means you get neutered unless you are a star, and then you can take any petulant/stupid penalty you want.

Lets see Nucks fans believe how worthless Blue and Laff were. On the other hand a guy like ZAR is now out of the league, to Sully’s eternal chagrin. I half expect us to get him back…

That said…. this is no surprise. It is a calamity viewed on Zo’s best days. It matters not right now. Still loath that Sully is still there though. An anker since 2018. How is it possible?

Reactions: BillPrep

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
He had nearly an open cage last appearance and panic-shot it into the goalies pads. Was just losing confidence.

6'7'' player that plays like a tweener 5'7'' guy. Wish him well on his continued journey.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
He sure has a hand in who gets an opportunity to produce! And surely, with ZERO young players having emerged for us post Guentzel, there is no argument that Sullivan builds up anybody, rather he pidgeon holes guys into roles in which they do nothing and their mistakes are magnified. Zo played with a pulse. Some times that means eating a few minutes. With us it means you get neutered unless you are a star, and then you can take any petulant/stupid penalty you want.

Lets see Nucks fans believe how worthless Blue and Laff were. On the other hand a guy like ZAR is now out of the league, to Sully’s eternal chagrin. I half expect us to get him back…

That said…. this is no surprise. It is a calamity viewed on Zo’s best days. It matters not right now. Still loath that Sully is still there though. An anker since 2018. How is it possible?
You do realize we have one of the weakest prospect pools for years in the NHL for a while now, its how we were able to make the playoff streak of 16 years (which I am fine with) shipping off draft picks. I dont believe Sullivan is holding back the next great one that is just waiting to explode into the league being handcuffed in our farm system. Zohorna was also waived by 2 other teams

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
You do realize we have one of the weakest prospect pools for years in the NHL for a while now, its how we were able to make the playoff streak of 16 years (which I am fine with) shipping off draft picks. I dont believe Sullivan is holding back the next great one that is just waiting to explode into the league being handcuffed in our farm system. Zohorna was also waived by 2 other teams

I do.
I also hate that Sully is our coach still. And I’m one of perhaps a handful of people on our forum to so since 2018.
Make of it what you want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad