Post-Game Talk: Pingu

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Really appreciated having Vally and Hank in the postgame. They were talkin about how Quick has redefined his game under Benny, where now he stays in the blue crease and stays compact as opposed to when he was younger he would skate a lot further out of the crease in to the white.

He just doesnt have those reflexes to play out into the white anymore, but has adapted his positoning to be more conservative at the position.

Good stuff all around

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Really appreciated having Vally and Hank in the postgame. They were talkin about how Quick has redefined his game under Benny, where now he stays in the blue crease and stays compact as opposed to when he was younger he would skate a lot further out of the crease in to the white.

He just doesnt have those reflexes to play out into the white anymore, but has adapted his positoning to be more conservative at the position.

Good stuff all around
My impression 100%. Quick has a ton of natural talent but always played to his athleticism. With a bit of tempering he has refined his game and is probably playing better than he has played in years. He still has great reflexes and flexibility. Add that to better positioning and you've got a stew going.

Last edited:

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Somehow we ended up with a pairing of Trouba and Lindgren for half of that PP. When they put out Gus and Miller for the 1st minute, did they have a plan for the second half? They couldn't have concluded that was optimum.
It was awful IMO. We have a 1st unit with elite retrieval, possession, and ability to defuse pressure and just don’t use it in a situation where the other team basically has to sell out to get the puck. Also if they insist on a 2nd defenseman there then just put Jones who won’t kill the puck movement. Then after they do their usual 1:30 of hemming the other team in their zone you change to your Lindgren-Trouba pairing while the dead PKers change

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
i
Quickie.jpg

1st star: Benoit Alliare
2nd star: Dawn Braid

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I missed the 3rd period: curious why Bonino has so many votes. I see he has 4 blocked shots, were they mostly all important ones when we were trying to close the game out?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Good stuff all around
Also loved it when they revisited Hank flipping the net because f***ing refs (some things never change, eh) refused to stop the game.

It's insane that Jonathan Quick is playing this well in 2023 after how poorly he's played the past few years of his career and him being 37.
I heard Hank is unretiring

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
So, who is more important to this team: Offensive wizard Fox, or offensive clod Lindgren? Take Lindgren out and the D looks horrendous. Take Fox out and the points keep coming...
Fox is more valuable. Any other answer is just wrong.
I love Lindgren and I think he should be a Ranger for life, but he isn't in the same stratosphere as Fox as a player.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
The Goodrow hate is so dumb.

Barclay Goodrow had an xGF% of 0.00 last night. He had the 5th highest xGA on the team last night (everyone higher played at minimum 6 mins more 5v5), and the lowest xGF. of 0. For those of you who don't know or just don't care about what that means, it means the Rangers got absolutely caved in from the second he touched the ice. He doesn't deserve to be in consideration for the 3 stars after a performance like that.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I missed the 3rd period: curious why Bonino has so many votes. I see he has 4 blocked shots, were they mostly all important ones when we were trying to close the game out?

I don’t want him anywhere near the top 9 when they’re healthy but the line has held its own even with him there. He needs better wingers when everyone is healthy.

Brings all of the grit and intangibles of Goodrow while being better at most of the on ice stuff at a fraction of the price.

He slayed last night.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Lafreniere looked prettttt-ttty fast on his goal, eh? No problem blowing past a couple defenders.
I'm very glad to be wrong about him. Not sure if it's confidence and him seeing a sports psychologist, but he looks reborn under Laviolette. It looks like he magically added another gear of acceleration from the preseason to now. He doesn't score that goal last year. Confidence and that first and second step are what were holding him back. I also didn't happen to think he's really that talented, but he must have called up Petr Sykora or something and got some lessons. That backhand is a thing of beauty.

I'm still not proclaiming his arrival just yet, but he's been proving me and a lot of us here wrong.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Mika with the best skater save I’ve ever seen. Upright in position, attacking the shooter ready to react, gets just enough to deflect it wide. No dropping to his knees and hoping it hits him, great defensive play
He also had a huge block on the last chance of the game, 11 seconds left and Crosby wins a faceoff clean.

Zib has been great defensively for sure, he just needs to strap on some balls in the offensive zone now. Then we got a stew going .

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It's insane that Jonathan Quick is playing this well in 2023 after how poorly he's played the past few years of his career and him being 37.
Quick went to Vegas last year and had a great run for 5-6 games. Couple of shutouts and plenty of sharp play. He coughed up a couple of loogys, and lost the net when others came back from injuries. He showed me enough flashes that I was never afraid of him coming here.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad