Speculation: Pietrangelo Discussion: Should we move on if he refuses an offer in the range of 8x$8.25m?

Should Pietrangelo be let go if he refuses an offer in the 8.25X8 range?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I’ve said before I don’t like the team stance on these issues for a competitive standpoint in that it puts us at a disadvantage to teams that do them, even occasionally. But I’m just as disappointed because I think it is a bit hypocritical that they won’t sign a contract with those elements but they will trade for one. The ROR contract is almost all signing bonus, and they even agreed to take that contract on the very day the signing bonus was due.
You make an exception for a once in a lifetime steal/acquisition like ROR. Plus I believe the bonus paid out to ROR was his salary for the upcoming season being paid out in advance on July 1st but I could be wrong on that one.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I don't know how St. Louis is any better place? So much violence and racism.

the st louis metropolitan area is is 3 million
the CITY of st louis is only 300,000
because of a weird state rule the city is NOT part of the county for statistical purposes
if the county were included in the FBI crime statistics st louis would be way down the list
the vast majority of violent crimes happen in a very small area concentrated in the north part of the city
most of the the violent crimes in the county come from spill over in the small adjacent municipalities in the county that border the north part of the city

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
the st louis metropolitan area is is 3 million
the CITY of st louis is only 300,000
because of a weird state rule the city is NOT part of the county for statistical purposes
if the county were included in the FBI crime statistics st louis would be way down the list
the vast majority of violent crimes happen in a very small area concentrated in the north part of the city
most of the the violent crimes in the county come from spill over in the small adjacent municipalities in the county that border the north part of the city
Is that the place where poorest and black's ppl live?

Reactions: stl76

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
You make an exception for a once in a lifetime steal/acquisition like ROR. Plus I believe the bonus paid out to ROR was his salary for the upcoming season being paid out in advance on July 1st but I could be wrong on that one.
That's what all signing bonuses effectively are. ROR gets $6m a year for the remainder of his deal; $5m in signing bonuses on July 1 and then $1m salary through the season.

Pietrangelo will be looking for a similar structure in the later years of his deal; $1m salary and the rest in signing bonuses.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Is that the place where poorest and black's ppl live?
Generally speaking, yes.

St. Louis has some real issues, but the St. Louis metropolitan area as a whole is nothing like what the city crime stats and national media coverage would suggest.

All that said, we should probably move any further discussion to an OT thread.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
That is the definition of every signing bonus in the league. And if you think ROR was worth making that accommodation without playing a game for the team, but Petro isn’t after 10 great years and captaining a Cup winner, I don’t know what else to say.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
That's what all signing bonuses effectively are. ROR gets $6m a year for the remainder of his deal; $5m in signing bonuses on July 1 and then $1m salary through the season.

Pietrangelo will be looking for a similar structure in the later years of his deal; $1m salary and the rest in signing bonuses.
I'm surprised that the CBA that the owners negotiated would allow that big of a difference between SB and salary. I suspect that will be a bone of contention on the next go around.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Difference is ROR won’t be in mid to late 30s back half of his contract.
You’re making this situational. The issue is that the team is purportedly taking the stance that they never agree to signing bonuses. I feel that if you’re OK accepting those terms when trading for a player, you should not draw the line in the sand behind you when negotiating with your captain.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I find it hypocritical on the Blues part considering their stance on bonuses but are willing to trade for a player who's contract is mostly all bonuses, But absolutely have a very hard line in the sand to no bonuses when negotiating with your captain.

If the team can make that exception to get ROR they can damn well make one here to Petro!!

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Actually, the ROR situation underscores Armstrong’s rationale. The Blues were able to get him for a lot less because the structure of the signing bonus constrained the market. It forced the timing of the trade, and it removed several teams from the pool of bidders.

Reactions: Vektor and Blueston

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Actually, the ROR situation underscores Armstrong’s rationale. The Blues were able to get him for a lot less because the structure of the signing bonus constrained the market. It forced the timing of the trade, and it removed several teams from the pool of bidders.
Well, that and Buffalo was asking for the moon at the time of the trade only to settle for St. Louis' offer because all of the other bidders backed off from the demands.

If I remember correctly, The ask from Montreal was their 3rd overall pick + Ryan Poehling + a roster piece, although the roster piece was more likely there for cap purposes.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Depending on what Boston get's for Krug's rights. Would you trade Pietrangelo's rights?

Me personally i wouldn't trade his right's, I still think they will work out a deal, If and that's a big if they back down on their hard line and make an exception on bonus money for Petro.

If not, And as much as it pains me to say it, As i don't want Petro to leave, I would trade his rights if they can't come to a deal

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Depending on what Boston get's for Krug's rights. Would you trade Pietrangelo's rights?

Me personally i wouldn't trade his right's, I still think they will work out a deal, If and that's a big if they back down on their hard line and make an exception on bonus money for Petro.

If not, And as much as it pains me to say it, As i don't want Petro to leave, I would trade his rights if they can't come to a deal
I would say it depends on how far apart in negotiations
the team and Pietrangelo are by the time of the draft.

Reactions: Vollie27

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
An interesting point in all of this is if we trade Pietrangelo's rights, he loses any chance of getting an 8 yr deal. So if that extra year is important to him, it is in his interest to keep negotiating in good faith.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
An interesting point in all of this is if we trade Pietrangelo's rights, he loses any chance of getting an 8 yr deal. So if that extra year is important to him, it is in his interest to keep negotiating in good faith.
But he still controls that as he has a full NTC. He can only be traded somewhere he agrees to be traded. Besides, if we aren't signing him, there is no way he can get that 8th year anyway so it bear little cost to the player.

Contrast that situation with Krug, who can only block a trade to 8 of the 30 other teams. My guess is that Krug ends up in Detroit, and that the Wings are not on his no-trade list.

Reactions: The Note

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
That is the definition of every signing bonus in the league. And if you think ROR was worth making that accommodation without playing a game for the team, but Petro isn’t after 10 great years and captaining a Cup winner, I don’t know what else to say.
I’ll add to what you said in that O’Reilly became a much better player in STL. If you look at his numbers he was much more than he had shown.

Prosaic

Sep 11, 2020
JR's latest Athletic piece:
"Instead, sources say that Justin Faulk, Marco Scandella or even Dunn could be in play. "

Makes you wonder why they'd sign Faulk and Scandella in the first place...

Out of respect for the paywall I'll leave it at that. I don't wanna break any rules and I apologize if I did.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
"Instead, sources say that Justin Faulk, Marco Scandella or even Dunn could be in play. "

They signed them pre-covid with the certainty that the cap was going up. Only a pandemic/no fans could change that

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
I can't really imagine a scenario where trading Pietrangelo's rights makes much sense.
I’m thinking a sign/trade would be worth a shot. It’s harder to pull off but will bring a much better return. If what they are saying is true about seeing what the open market will offer, then allowing teams to talk to Petro shouldn’t be a huge deal. Of course that is where it could get a little tricky on what they actually talk about.

....like the interested team tells Petro’s agent that they will pay him more if he signs with them as a free agent.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Scandella was extended on April 16th.
Blues sign Marco Scandella to four-year contract extension - Sportsnet.ca

And extending any UFA before your best player is...an interesting way to manage your team.
Oh that’s right, they traded for him pre covid.

They badly needed a Jaybo replacement for last season and going forward. Scandella is a good signing to me. He’s a reliable stay at home dman that brings an element of physicality that the Blues defense severely lacks. He is also a very good fit in the locker room, that is a value we can’t see easily. It feels like Faulk isn’t a very good locker room guy for example.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Out of respect for the paywall I'll leave it at that. I don't wanna break any rules and I apologize if I did.
They’re not trading Scandella. They just signed him. JR just throwing more poop against wall to see what sticks.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Oh that’s right, they traded for him pre covid.

They badly needed a Jaybo replacement for last season and going forward. Scandella is a good signing to me. He’s a reliable stay at home dman that brings an element of physicality that the Blues defense severely lacks. He is also a very good fit in the locker room, that is a value we can’t see easily. It feels like Faulk isn’t a very good locker room guy for example.
You think Faulk ain’t good in room based on what ? He wore letter in Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad