Speculation: Pierre Lebrun on Leafs Lunch: Leafs forward search

Leafsguard

Feb 1, 2018
I'm still not sold that the Leafs are going for a forward. Recent history if we lose any of our D-men we are screwed. Getting Simmonds back is a bonus, Robertson at some point, Watson I think might be the forward they should look at but we are gonna need help on the back end. If we lose any of our 6 we have no one that can step in.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Think we should
I'm still not sold that the Leafs are going for a forward. Recent history if we lose any of our D-men we are screwed. Getting Simmonds back is a bonus, Robertson at some point, Watson I think might be the forward they should look at but we are gonna need help on the back end. If we lose any of our 6 we have no one that can step in.
Think we need a forward but our top 6 is pretty solidified, don't think any of them are going anywhere but adding another D as well that challenges BOGO but more so Dermott for a spot would be good. Think we should go for a guy like Jon Merrill in Detroit as a rental. He'd knock off Dermott unless he suddenly improves and wouldn't cost very much, maybe a 4th at the most, probably less at the TDL. His cap hit is 925k without any retention.

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Merrill - Bogosian
Dermott

Dermott can play right side as well as left and I believe Merrill has done so as well.

EDIT: Sandin can step in for a bottom pair guy, otherwise in the playoffs anyone else makes the group thin. If either of BOGO, Dermott have to step into top 4 with Sandin on 3rd pair that's thin too given it's playoffs & not regular season.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Think we gotta try & keep Hyman on the third line if possible, really adds another much needed good line to this team while giving him some extra minutes as well. That means we need someone who could play for both left side for Matthews-Marner & JT-Willie depending where Jumbo is, but we'd also like some grit as well one way or another. Think Kerfoot at this point is a luxury to have in the lineup but hasn't really found a place of fit besides being a regular needed PK guy, along with his 3.5m cap hit. Think it's likely he goes out in order to get quality in.

Another route is having a guy that can take over for Hyman on the third line, play top 6, maybe play wing or center, and maybe be on the 4th if all else fails, being a luxury there. Good chance we go for a versatile guy I think given how Keefe puts lines in a blender often. Simmonds is a possibility to play top 6 as well.

Last edited:

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Based mostly on that^ while also considering the OP thread source, think the best fit is not Palmeri as he's purely a RW & would practially be limited to his main line being Nylander-Tavares-Palmeri. Seems like from best to worst: 1) Rakell (LW/C/RW) 2) Granlund (LW/RW/C) 3) Foligno (LW/RW/C) 4) Pearson (LW) 5) Staal (C/LW) 6) Namestikov (C/LW/RW). Of those players Rakell & Staal do not kill penalties if we every lost Kerfoot. The lowest risk med reward guy has gotta be Namestikov, but in theory risking a lost season like this is a big risk big picture even if he has term and should be relatively cheap. I'd want a bigger move but could see him being added in addition to another better forward as he could be retained to 1m with term. He'd be better than making no move at all if it doesn't come to fruition, maybe a safe plan B or additional option.

Edit: Granlund might be small and not very physical but he could play left side with either of Matthews-Marner & Tavares-Nylander, or a 3rd line at either wing or center. Also kills penalties, and is another excellent passer for our top 6 scorers, namely Matthews. Would likely take a little more but I'd definitely trade Kerfoot for Granlund straight up. May be best for Nashville next season as they might not be so much a rebuilder but more like re-stocker I guess

If Dubas tried signing him in the offseason he likely had plans for him on the left side with either of Matthews-Marner or Tavares-Nylander. With Either Thornton or Vesey (I'd like to think) being the plan B.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad