Confirmed with Link: Pierre Engvall extended [1 year, $2.25M]

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
So the Leafs failures in the playoffs have been lack of goal scoring?
When the frame of the discussion is that the Leafs have had and will continue to have mediocre playoff goaltending the answer is a big fat yes. At this point this team has to find a way to win like Colorado did this playoffs: averaging 4 goal per game while receiving mediocre goaltending. The Leafs need depth of scoring to make that happen. The Leafs has literally entrusted its 2022-23 playoff hopes on two rejected NHL starters from the 2021-22 season.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Shame that we have Bunting, Kampf, Engvall expiring at the same time. Ah well, have to worry about this season before thinking next year

Reactions: Buds17

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Some people need to look up arbitration because they clearly have never heard of it

With the threat of arb looming probably should have non-tendered while still continuing negotiations. He's a nice player, but at that number was replaceable for less

Janmark + Tierney +1m cap space > Engvall+ Gaudette

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Sure you can. Emergency call ups. All you have to do is play 1 game short and you can call players up if they make under 1 million.

That’s why we sign a bunch of players.
They won’t be that close to the cap with only 20 players that can’t clear waivers. If two guys are banged up and can’t play, then they’ll play two short or put one or both on IR for at least seven days.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Just wondering….is their a adult forum to chat leaf hockey?

I registered here not long ago but it’s seems like a bunch of 12 yr olds in a lot of these threads …. constantly complaining about 1st rd playoff losses and lack of goal scoring….

Reactions: GrizzGreen

horner

May 22, 2007
Engvall like kerfoot and Mik did nothing in the playoffs .
I don't rember them getting involved physically during the regular season they were but after that nothing if the hit it was a love tap.
We also need our bottom 6 to be totally committed in the playoffs blocking shots not much there.
You watch TB and Colorado they were .
It just shows they will give there last breathe to win .
Engvall and kerfoot bye.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Hot Take: Mid to low tier trade deadline acquisition has over 88% odds of having a greater impact than Engvall in the playoffs. 88 to start my week off with a shoutout to everyone's no1 favorite player Wild Bill.

Not down with your giraffe friend, sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: Shooter2x

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Hotter take

They only should have signed him for about a half of a season so 1.125, hopefully that giraffe can change its spots and score more often than that bum Marner did.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Hottest take: If joey anderson and Pierre Engvall went into the boards in the playoffs, my money is on joey anderson coming out with the puck. Leafs should have allocated $0 to Engvall over a full season once he became > 2 mil.

Reactions: justashadowof

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Just wondering….is their a adult forum to chat leaf hockey?

I registered here not long ago but it’s seems like a bunch of 12 yr olds in a lot of these threads …. constantly complaining about 1st rd playoff losses and lack of goal scoring….

Can you imagine not being completely satisfied with serial failure? What is wrong with these people?

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
When the frame of the discussion is that the Leafs have had and will continue to have mediocre playoff goaltending the answer is a big fat yes. At this point this team has to find a way to win like Colorado did this playoffs: averaging 4 goal per game while receiving mediocre goaltending. The Leafs need depth of scoring to make that happen. The Leafs has literally entrusted its 2022-23 playoff hopes on two rejected NHL starters from the 2021-22 season.
Depth in scoring :rolleyes:
We are paying top dollar for Mathew’s,and co.
They are the guys who are letting us down when the playoffs come around.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Depth in scoring :rolleyes:
We are paying top dollar for Mathew’s,and co.
They are the guys who are letting us down when the playoffs come around.
Indeed but they haven't gotten it done 6 seasons in a row. We've got to get it done some other way. That's either depth scoring or a stud goalie who wins a game on his own.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
With Engvall added, Mete / Benn as the bottom pairing, Muz, Kerfoot, Holl removed (traded), Leaf's have about 10 mil in cap, with one LW spot to fill...

Our Left side leaves a lot to be desired, Bunting/Simmonds/Engvall ... we need more production than those 3 bring, is big game hunting a possibility?

I was thinking Niederreider or Stastny might be a UFA possibility, then I see we got 10 milish to play with if we make a few moves and JT Miller to Toronto seems like a possibility.

We could trade Muz/Kerfoot/Holl for futures and not take back salary, Nucks are 2.7 mil over the cap with 20 players on the roster and a 2.5 mil guy on IR. We are doing them a favor taking Millers $5.25 mil cap hit :)

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Engvall is an asset that can be played or traded.

He isn't on a bad contract, and his contract has value to the Leafs whether or not he's the right piece for their roster.

If Engvall doesn't fit, then Engvall and other pieces might be used to get the pieces the Leafs need. At $2.25M on a one-year term, that contract could be easily moved got something else of roughly equal value. It is a plus.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Engvall is an asset that can be played or traded.

He isn't on a bad contract, and his contract has value to the Leafs whether or not he's the right piece for their roster.

If Engvall doesn't fit, then Engvall and other pieces might be used to get the pieces the Leafs need. At $2.25M on a one-year term, that contract could be easily moved got something else of roughly equal value. It is a plus.
Can't blame anyone for being critical of using 2.25 on a piece that isn't the right fit for our playoff runs. We haven't won anything, so priority should be on correct fits with our limited cap space.

The return for Engvall @ 2.25 isn't appealing enough for me to sign him as trade capital. Plus adds an extra layer of complexity if we need to make a move that actually makes us a better playoff team.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
ok so who is getting traded? Sandin not yet signed. Lily got 1.4 million I guess that is a direct comparable for at least a minimum for Sandin and the cap has been maxed out already....

1658160854742.png

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Can't blame anyone for being critical of using 2.25 on a piece that isn't the right fit for our playoff runs. We haven't won anything, so priority should be on correct fits with our limited cap space.

The return for Engvall @ 2.25 isn't appealing enough for me to sign him as trade capital. Plus adds an extra layer of complexity if we need to make a move that actually makes us a better playoff team.
Imagine giving Engvall 2.25 as part of your plan to re-shape our bottom 6. When he said re-shape I thought he meant getting rid of all zero value playoff assets.

There is zero risk of us missing the playoffs, in fact less than zero risk if such a thing exists. As a result, I don't care for players like Engvall.

However if he sees Engvall as trade capital I can get behind that. He did receive some calls on Engvall last deadline. Perhaps he wants to cash in this time. Let's just hope Engvall doesn't degenerate back to a 4th liner next season. It was as early as 20/21 his coach was still benching him. With the exception of the empty netters he looked closer to his benched form in the playoffs.

Reactions: Shooter2x

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad