OT: Pickup Ice/Roller on Long Island / NYC Area

xbure9x

May 8, 2007
In the parking lot of the Smithtown Public Library (Nesconset) 148 Smithtown Blvd, Smithtown, NY 11787
Yeah, I used to drive out there and play with a bunch of buddies. We have a Facebook group, but it rarely gets used now. I currently play in a Men's league at Skate Safe in Bethpage, but if guys are around and the weather is nice we still try to get some pick up games going at the Armory.
how is the league at skate safe? when you say men’s league, are you playing in a 30 and over or the standard 17 and over adult league? i used to play roller at hot skates in lynbrook but thats not an option anymore, so i’m looking around at my options. ive done sport time in bethpage but i didn’t really like that league too much

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
how is the league at skate safe? when you say men’s league, are you playing in a 30 and over or the standard 17 and over adult league? i used to play roller at hot skates in lynbrook but thats not an option anymore, so i’m looking around at my options. ive done sport time in bethpage but i didn’t really like that league too much

I played in a 30+ league in the summer a couple years ago, but now I am playing in the 17 and over adult league. Skate Safe is the best inline arena that the NY area has to offer, and it's still not great. But nARCH still holds qualifiers there.

Competition is really good, and it gets intense. Super fun though!

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I played in a 30+ league in the summer a couple years ago, but now I am playing in the 17 and over adult league. Skate Safe is the best inline arena that the NY area has to offer, and it's still not great. But nARCH still holds qualifiers there.

AIHL Plays a lot of games there too.

But yeah they are the best, much better than Sportime and Hot Skates. They do so well, they've had to turn some team registrations down.

Reactions: nevesis

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Anyone ever play in a league at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn? I played there from the 90s up until a few years ago.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Anyone ever play in a league at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn? I played there from the 90s up until a few years ago.

They have an annual tournament there every year that I've played in a few years. Pretty fun, except for having to get dressed and undressed in a public park. Small world, I've played at almost all of the rinks and leagues mentioned here.

Reactions: McRanger

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
There is a good league in the Excel Center out east. It's mostly a bunch of guys just getting together to have a good time but the league is run really well. Never an issue with the refs showing up, the scorekeepers are excellent, they keep stats for every game etc.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Nothing's changed. The earliest Men's Leagues games you'll find are like 9:30/9:45. Most of them are in the 10-11 o clock range. Same thing with Open Hockey.

That's why I play a lot more Inline. Tons of free Outdoor rinks, earlier games for the leagues and a lot cheaper fee than ice.

Really? That's surprising. Here in Houston, you can play on ice as early as 7pm on week nights and during the day on the weekends. I wish it was like that when I was a kid. Finding a ride that late at night wasn't easy.

xbure9x

May 8, 2007

how was the 30+ league compared to the 17+? I am 44 but I had no problem playing in the 17 and over at hot skates in one of the lower divisions, but that was when i was playing regularly, I haven’t played in probably 3 years, but I am itching to get back into it

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
how was the 30+ league compared to the 17+? I am 44 but I had no problem playing in the 17 and over at hot skates in one of the lower divisions, but that was when i was playing regularly, I haven’t played in probably 3 years, but I am itching to get back into it

They each have different divisions based on skill level, but I've noticed that both leagues are relatively similar. Obviously, the 17+ gets a few young hot shot's thrown in, but the talent pool is so large on Long Island that I've only encountered maybe one or two complete benders in the three years I've played there. Most every guy playing either played ice, or has been playing for a while so it's competitive and fun.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
AIHL Plays a lot of games there too.

But yeah they are the best, much better than Sportime and Hot Skates. They do so well, they've had to turn some team registrations down.

I played around 10 years in the AIHL, that league has been around for a bit. Skate Safe has great leagues.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
The roller rink at Baldwin park used to have a pretty good pick up crowd on Sunday mornings. 2+ goalies and often 2 full lines per team. Last time I played in a league it was at sportime in Bethpage a few years back. Facility was okay, a few too many adults acting like they're going to get drafted from a rec roller hockey league though lol. I do miss the hot skates days back in high school.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I’m looking to get back on the ice. I’m in Garfield, NJ now. I’d do some roller too, although I suck at roller. Anyone around?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I’m looking to get back on the ice. I’m in Garfield, NJ now. I’d do some roller too, although I suck at roller. Anyone around?
I play ice at the Ice house in Hackensack.

Looking to get a new team together next season. Mix of older dads and their kids. Ill let you know when that discussion pops up again.

In the meantime there are some open hockey sessions in the area. MSU arena in Montclair is decent. Clary Anderson has one as well I beleive. Not sure if Ice House does them anymore since they have so many adult divisions. I'm sure the Ice Vault in Wayne has them but I havent been out there in a while

When Mackay is open (Seasonal) in Englewood thats a good one because the ice is great and they have them up at the Palisades Center Rink up in Nyack as well

Reactions: LokiDog

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have not played roller since around 2000. I have considered playing again but I have a question for you guys. The only Bauers I can find have those hi-low frames. I have only used normal straight frames in the past. I have never played on hi-low frames. How much different is it? I'd hate to spend $300 on skates and then not like them.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I suck at roller too, during lockdowns I bought some marsblades thinking I was going to get some decent practise with them while I couldn’t go to rinks and man. They claim they’re just like ice skates but are nothing like them in my opinion lol. I can’t even stop on rollerblades

Reactions: LokiDog

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
If anyone is on Long Island and can remotely put the puck in the net in a B/C division weekend division. Shoot me a DM.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
If anyone is on Long Island and can remotely put the puck in the net in a B/C division weekend division. Shoot me a DM.

I used to play at Rapid Fire Arena - where are you looking to play at (won't be me, I'm in Florida, but I can reach out to some old teammates and see if they're into it)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad