OT: Pickup Ice/Roller on Long Island / NYC Area

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Mods - I can't find the thread that I know exists on this. Something about a continuous open Saturday night hockey game. I've used the search feature to no avail, please merge if you can locate that thread.

I was just curious if anyone had a list or something along those lines of rinks that offer open hockey, either ice or roller. I was at Ice Works today (I'm sorry, if it makes you guys feel any better, I did not remove my Rangers hat :naughty: ) to get my skates sharpened, and asked about their open skates to which my surprise they said they did not have any.

I also know about that outdoor indoor style rink in the park by the Floral Park LIRR station. I keep meaning to check that out. Has anyone been there?

I just think it's time to get on the ice and back in the game.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Mods - I can't find the thread that I know exists on this. Something about a continuous open Saturday night hockey game. I've used the search feature to no avail, please merge if you can locate that thread.

I was just curious if anyone had a list or something along those lines of rinks that offer open hockey, either ice or roller. I was at Ice Works today (I'm sorry, if it makes you guys feel any better, I did not remove my Rangers hat :naughty: ) to get my skates sharpened, and asked about their open skates to which my surprise they said they did not have any.

I also know about that outdoor indoor style rink in the park by the Floral Park LIRR station. I keep meaning to check that out. Has anyone been there?

I just think it's time to get on the ice and back in the game.

I play pick up roller hockey out in Smithtown every Sunday. We have a large group of guys. Tons of fun. You should come out and play dude.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
Pickup inline hockey at George Harvey Park in Whitestone Queens every Saturday and Sunday morning, and Monday - Thursday night at 6 or 7pm. Lights go on at 9 ish...

1Knee1T

Jun 29, 2008
Baldwin Park has an outdoor roller rink with an indoor surface that usually has a good crowd on Saturdays. Also during the week around 4ish you can occasionally find a good game. The skill level varies but in general I'd say it's about as good as B-level beer league.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
Hey all! I play on ice with the Old Pucks out of Freeport during the year. We wrap up our season in late April. We are a group of mostly 40+ in age. I enjoy it because we form teams and match lines pretty evenly with regards to skill and age. Non checking and non heavy slap shots and the ref keeps the shift time.

I'm looking to keep playing during the summer months. However, I really don't want to get set up in a pick up game where there are so many young guys that simply use an old fart like myself as a pylon. Anyone know of a game somewhere on the Island or in the boroughs with a bunch of old rink rats like myself? Ice only, please. Thanks!

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Cool.

Are you willing to post additional details for all to see?

Sorry I never got back to you on this earlier.

We play every Sunday in Smithtown/Nesconset at the Smithtown Public Library location. Roller hockey rink is in the parking lot/field area.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/armory-park-nesconset

148 Smithtown Blvd
Nesconset, NY 11767

We have a group on Facebook called 'Armory Hockey'

It's a big group of guys, and everyone is super cool.

A lot of guys record tons of the games, so there is lots of footage on youtube. Here is one below someone shot with a go pro taped to their helmet.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
There is always a Thursday 11 PM game at Cantiague Park, but you need an invite.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Sorry I never got back to you on this earlier.

We play every Sunday in Smithtown/Nesconset at the Smithtown Public Library location. Roller hockey rink is in the parking lot/field area.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/armory-park-nesconset

148 Smithtown Blvd
Nesconset, NY 11767

We have a group on Facebook called 'Armory Hockey'

It's a big group of guys, and everyone is super cool.

A lot of guys record tons of the games, so there is lots of footage on youtube. Here is one below someone shot with a go pro taped to their helmet.

This is awesome - what times do you guys normally play? Might head down this weekend.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Hey gents,

I play a *TON* of roller all over LI. Skate Safe has the best rink around, (Inline 1 in Mt. Sinai was amazing but it closed). World Gym in Setauket and Sports Arena in Smithtown have their own open rink times available. I do know that Rapid Fire out in Shirley also has late night skates every weekend for a few hours.

NYRangers34

Mar 11, 2019
I play pick up roller hockey out in Smithtown every Sunday. We have a large group of guys. Tons of fun. You should come out and play dude.

Hey where in Smithtown and what time? I'm a goalie and don't wanna drive to Baldwin anymore

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Hey gents,

I play a *TON* of roller all over LI. Skate Safe has the best rink around, (Inline 1 in Mt. Sinai was amazing but it closed). World Gym in Setauket and Sports Arena in Smithtown have their own open rink times available. I do know that Rapid Fire out in Shirley also has late night skates every weekend for a few hours.

World's Gym is gone but there's also All Star in Selden, right on the corner of 83 and 25.

@nevesis I may show up some time too! Sounds great!

Last edited:

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
World's Gym is gone but there's also All Star in Selden, right on the corner of 83 and 25.

@nevesis I may show up some time too! Sounds great!

Yeah RIP that’s been done for two years or so. In the summer, I sometimes skate outside during morning or late afternoon hours at The Armory, which I believe is behind the public library in Smithtown.

Reactions: nevesis

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Yeah RIP that’s been done for two years or so. In the summer, I sometimes skate outside during morning or late afternoon hours at The Armory, which I believe is behind the public library in Smithtown.

LOL didn't realize this post was 5 years old.

Reactions: ericmgomes

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
This is awesome - what times do you guys normally play? Might head down this weekend.

Didn’t realize this was a bump either. That surface in the video is not the surface for that rink anymore either. It’s a plastic tile that you use indoor wheels and stuff with.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Didn’t realize this was a bump either. That surface in the video is not the surface for that rink anymore either. It’s a plastic tile that you use indoor wheels and stuff with.

Yeah, I used to drive out there and play with a bunch of buddies. We have a Facebook group, but it rarely gets used now. I currently play in a Men's league at Skate Safe in Bethpage, but if guys are around and the weather is nice we still try to get some pick up games going at the Armory.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Back in the day, the only ice time we could get was late at night. What a pain.

When I played roller hockey, we used to play full contact hockey in the schoolyards on cement in the YMCA league. There is nothing like checking people into cement walls and fencing. I'll never forget playing at the first outdoor roller rink. It was heaven. I wonder how many there are these days.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Back in the day, the only ice time we could get was late at night. What a pain.

When I played roller hockey, we used to play full contact hockey in the schoolyards on cement in the YMCA league. There is nothing like checking people into cement walls and fencing. I'll never forget playing at the first outdoor roller rink. It was heaven. I wonder how many there are these days.

Nothing's changed. The earliest Men's Leagues games you'll find are like 9:30/9:45. Most of them are in the 10-11 o clock range. Same thing with Open Hockey.

That's why I play a lot more Inline. Tons of free Outdoor rinks, earlier games for the leagues and a lot cheaper fee than ice.

Reactions: nyrage

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad