OT: Pickup Ice/Roller on Long Island / NYC Area

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Back in the day, the only ice time we could get was late at night. What a pain.

When I played roller hockey, we used to play full contact hockey in the schoolyards on cement in the YMCA league. There is nothing like checking people into cement walls and fencing. I'll never forget playing at the first outdoor roller rink. It was heaven. I wonder how many there are these days.
I played in the YMCA league back in the 80s with barely any equipment besides a helmet, gloves & shin pads. LOL. Not sure what was more dangerous, the obstacles like fences & the shitty uneven, cracked pavement or the random scattered glass from broken beer bottles that would act like a patch of ice while kicking your feet out from under you. The two games a year we got to play at the College Point rink were heavenly.

I used to play at Doobies or Throgs Neck? which one is that
OMG, Doobie Park. I haven't heard anyone mention that in 30 years LOL. But for the life of me I can't remember which park it was.

Reactions: nyrmetros

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I’m looking to get back on the ice. I’m in Garfield, NJ now. I’d do some roller too, although I suck at roller. Anyone around?
North Arlington has an indoor roller rink. (ISCA) That's not to far from you. They also do open hockey now on Wednesdays 4:45-6:45pm, and maybe Saturday nights. I prefer Morristown's rink as the players seem to be nicer. The competition is probably better at ISCA when comparing the same divisional level, but each league has multiple divisions so you're not too out of place.

I have not played roller since around 2000. I have considered playing again but I have a question for you guys. The only Bauers I can find have those hi-low frames. I have only used normal straight frames in the past. I have never played on hi-low frames. How much different is it? I'd hate to spend $300 on skates and then not like them.
Wish I saw this a few days ago. Currently Tours are probably your go-to for straight wheels. I had a 40% off coupon on Tour's mid tier skates and 55% off their top tier skates given to our team, but those expired on June 1st. If you're looking for a straight chassis, you could use sidelineswap to see if anybody has a custom set, or an older tour model they're looking to sell. The difference is going to be in the way your foot is pitched, but considering you haven't been skating in over 20 years I doubt you'll notice it as you're learning to skate again anyway. I prefer the hi-lo setup, although you may loose a little straight away speed.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
There's pickup hockey at noon every day at City Ice Pavillion in Long Island City, Tuesdays and Fridays have best turnout tho. LMK if you ever go!

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Off the Whitestone Expressway between Malba and Whitestone

Looking it up, Harvey Park is the 'actual name'. Never knew that
I played softball there in a couple of bar leagues back in the 90s.

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, they built a roller rink there at some point. It's really cool they have 2 rinks so close to one another. We would've killed for that when I was a teenager.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
1. Which model?
2. Absolutely not.

RBK 5k or 7k were amazing for the $ and sooooo comfortable.

Off the Whitestone Expressway between Malba and Whitestone

Looking it up, Harvey Park is the 'actual name'. Never knew that
George Harvey Park in Whitestone is where we play inline hockey currently. Has new boards and a slippery blue surface.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Anyone play roller in Westchester? Preferably northern?
Trying to get back into shape for ice after nearly 15 years off, it hasn't been easy...plus add some recent non-dominant shoulder tendonitis due to softball I'm trying to work through while still regaining my legs. My shot came back faster than I thought, but the agility is still way behind...at this point I'll just be glad to skate in a D league someday.

Know it's not what you're looking for, but for Northern Westchester ice, Brewster's pretty much the place

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Trying to get back into shape for ice after nearly 15 years off, it hasn't been easy...plus add some recent non-dominant shoulder tendonitis due to softball I'm trying to work through while still regaining my legs. My shot came back faster than I thought, but the agility is still way behind...at this point I'll just be glad to skate in a D league someday.

Know it's not what you're looking for, but for Northern Westchester ice, Brewster's pretty much the place
Yeah I never played until my early 30s so the struggle is real haha. You can definietly get to D league with that work ethic!

Brewster is great but I have trouble finding the time to play ice with a toddler at home. Roller is just quicker and easier and I’m a lot better at it which helps.

Reactions: LokiDog

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I played in the YMCA league back in the 80s with barely any equipment besides a helmet, gloves & shin pads. LOL. Not sure what was more dangerous, the obstacles like fences & the shitty uneven, cracked pavement or the random scattered glass from broken beer bottles that would act like a patch of ice while kicking your feet out from under you. The two games a year we got to play at the College Point rink were heavenly.

OMG, Doobie Park. I haven't heard anyone mention that in 30 years LOL. But for the life of me I can't remember which park it was.
Boris, I must apologize to you. I'm sure at some point I cross-checked you, speared you, slashed you or all of the above.

I played in the YMCA league in the 80s and I always led the league in PIMs. I swear, I would take at least 10 penalties a shift and got away with it most of the time. I was obsessed with the movie Slap Shot. I would get into a fight, get suspended, and play the next week with someone else's name as we always kept extra names on the roster.

Yes, playing at the College Point rink was a treat although I did get a thrill checking people into those fences. There was nothing like playing those early weekend games outdoors in the cold.

Floral Park was the worst. One time we got attacked by people in the stands. They came after us with tire irons and whatever they could find. Ah the good old days of goon hockey.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Boris, I must apologize to you. I'm sure at some point I cross-checked you, speared you, slashed you or all of the above.

I played in the YMCA league in the 80s and I always led the league in PIMs. I swear, I would take at least 10 penalties a shift and got away with it most of the time. I was obsessed with the movie Slap Shot. I would get into a fight, get suspended, and play the next week with someone else's name as we always kept extra names on the roster.

Yes, playing at the College Point rink was a treat although I did get a thrill checking people into those fences. There was nothing like playing those early weekend games outdoors in the cold.

Floral Park was the worst. One time we got attacked by people in the stands. They came after us with tire irons and whatever they could find. Ah the good old days of goon hockey.
We played a game at MPB in Astoria & some kid's dad ran on to the "field" and shoved one of my teammates to the ground after he laid this guy's kid out with a clean check. All I know is this guy was lucky I wasn't the one he shoved down. My Dad was not the parent you wanted to screw around with.

Our home schoolyard was PS 107 in Flushing with the giant concrete wall on one side. Made no sense why we didn't play on the other side of the school yard with no solid walls to get plastered into. I'm lucky I only had a few chipped teeth from pick up games, but no major injuries. My knees creek something awful however from years of abuse.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
We played a game at MPB in Astoria & some kid's dad ran on to the "field" and shoved one of my teammates to the ground after he laid this guy's kid out with a clean check. All I know is this guy was lucky I wasn't the one he shoved down. My Dad was not the parent you wanted to screw around with.

Our home schoolyard was PS 107 in Flushing with the giant concrete wall on one side. Made no sense why we didn't play on the other side of the school yard with no solid walls to get plastered into. I'm lucky I only had a few chipped teeth from pick up games, but no major injuries. My knees creek something awful however from years of abuse.

I think I remember that place. Those walls could be brutal. Nothing like checking/getting checked into concrete.

I had cuts pretty much every game from that roller hockey cement. Giant raspberries.

What's funny is that I never got injured playing in the YMCA league, but on ice, I have:

Broken my nose twice
Broke 2 ribs
Tore my acl
Broke my wrists, fingers, and toes
Sprained my mcl
Separated both shoulders
Broke my orbital and had my mouth split open from a crosscheck
Cracked my head and needed stitches
Hurt my back (now 2 of my discs are messed up)

The only time I missed a game was with a 102 fever from the flu. I played a championship game with 2 cracked ribs, 2 separated shoulders, and a sprained mcl. I thought I was macho back then, but my body at 56 feels every bit of those injuries now. I'm putting off about 4 surgeries. I do lots of yoga and stretching now. I quit playing at about 48.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad