Value of: Picks/prospects for Beauvillier

LafKak

Nov 14, 2020
Nope, he's not sitting out. But other assets will be used to create an additional few million in the absolute worst scenario.

At the absolute, absolute worst, we'll just re-sign Barzal (we can go over the cap by 10%) and will take whatever penalties the league deals to us for being over the cap. It will most likely be a loss of a draft pick and a fine. At some point, whatever the league can throw at us for being over cannot be worse than these HFB GMs trying to overleverage themselves.

The idea of trading Beauvillier because of the cap situation is preposterous.
If your over the cap at the start of the year you just forfeit games on top of losing picks and fines. I get why you wouldn’t want to trade him but does Isles have any desirable players that other teams want? Pullock and that’s it. Isles problem is they have a lot of their contracts locked in through 21/22. They will be fine in 2 years so if they could bridge Barzal to that they should. Your only out is if Boychuk is on LTIR for next 2 years.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
If your over the cap at the start of the year you just forfeit games on top of losing picks and fines. I get why you wouldn’t want to trade him but does Isles have any desirable players that other teams want? Pullock and that’s it. Isles problem is they have a lot of their contracts locked in through 21/22. They will be fine in 2 years so if they could bridge Barzal to that they should. Your only out is if Boychuk is on LTIR for next 2 years.
Unless this is Lou's account, I need to say that you have no idea what is going to happen. Go somewhere else and try to trade Strome or ADA.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Romanov, Caufield, Suzuki, 1st round picks are all possible talking points but it still won’t happen.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Nope. I'm pretty sure in the early 2010s the Devils started a season above the cap and they were only forced to play with as many players as they could fit under the cap on a nightly basis and not forfeit games. So assuming that past precedence continues, that will be fine for NYI in a worst case scenario.

As for assets that will be appealing to other teams, for your concern, we have five first and second round picks in the 2021 and 2022 drafts.

Reactions: LafKak

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I get that, but they are a win now team. Giving up their second best young forward doesn’t make much sense for them at the moment. They do some cap coming off the books next year. Plus the expansion draft,
The buyout option and just paying someone to take the last year of some of their deals.

What player(s) are coming off the books next year with no impact to the roster? Are Cizikas and Pelech not more important pieces under a flat cap..?

A deal based around Tatar and picks, considering Bellows may be coming up for good after the expansion draft, could maybe meet everyone's objectives here? He's the best left handed shooter we could send back on a short term deal.

LafKak

Nov 14, 2020
Nope. I'm pretty sure in the early 2010s the Devils started a season above the cap and they were only forced to play with as many players as they could fit under the cap on a nightly basis and not forfeit games. So assuming that past precedence continues, that will be fine for NYI in a worst case scenario.

As for assets that will be appealing to other teams, for your concern, we have five first and second round picks in the 2021 and 2022 drafts.
I find it hard to believe the Devils were over the cap during the season. The closest seems to be 11/12 season and it seems they snuck under the cap with buyouts and getting Parise on a one year deal which led to him leaving the following season.
I doubt Isles want to move those picks with a aging core. I’m not saying they wouldn’t but it could be in Sharks/Sens territory. 2nd round pick for sure they do but many teams will not take on a Ladd for a 2nd due to the years left on the deal.

Interesting to hear about Devils in 2010’s though. It will be interesting to see how Isles pay Barzal 10+ per or try to lock him in a two by 6.5 per. Which I think is the best move for both sides while navigating the cap. That would allow them to keep the picks,AB,Bellows.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I find it hard to believe the Devils were over the cap during the season. The closest seems to be 11/12 season and it seems they snuck under the cap with buyouts and getting Parise on a one year deal which led to him leaving the following season.
I doubt Isles want to move those picks with a aging core. I’m not saying they wouldn’t but it could be in Sharks/Sens territory. 2nd round pick for sure they do but many teams will not take on a Ladd for a 2nd due to the years left on the deal.

Interesting to hear about Devils in 2010’s though. It will be interesting to see how Isles pay Barzal 10+ per or try to lock him in a two by 6.5 per. Which I think is the best move for both sides while navigating the cap. That would allow them to keep the picks,AB,Bellows.
Now that yet another worthless NYR trade thread has been closed, maybe you should head to the Trouba thread and put your deft postings to work explaining why a second pair d man is worth $8 million. All the Devils and Isles fans have had their lives enriched by your wisdom, we have laid out a path of rose petals for you to follow on your way out.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Now that yet another worthless NYR trade thread has been closed, maybe you should head to the Trouba thread and put your deft postings to work explaining why a second pair d man is worth $8 million. All the Devils and Isles fans have had their lives enriched by your wisdom, we have laid out a path of rose petals for you to follow on your way out.
They just signed defensive powerhouse Tony D. He’s on track to be the next coming of Nick Lidstrom.

LafKak

Nov 14, 2020
What are you talking about? I think Trouba is overpaid by 3 million dollars and you think that is a bad take? I make a statement saying how Isles should bridge Barzal and you go off about it Lmao are you delusional....

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Hey Isles fans, is it not fair to say you have great LW depth? That maybe 3.9 isn't enough by itself to get Barzal signed? That, under a flat cap, Pelech's raise next year & keeping Cizikas short term is more important to Lou than negotiating a raise with Anna's boyfriend? (?)

My team would take care of a separate minor deal to fit him under the cap and make sure to let Tatar walk at the end of the season. Also have lots of picks next year, and some interesting prospects to offer.

What's your price for him to come home and rock the Bell when they reopen?

Move 22 yr old Beau from the top 6 to keep almost 30 yr old Cizikas, on the 4th line? Let's put down the bong :sarcasm:

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Move 22 yr old Beau from the top 6 to keep almost 30 yr old Cizikas, on the 4th line? Let's put down the bong :sarcasm:

Hey I don't think Lou smokes the bong, like at all. Maybe way, way back. :skeptic:

What's your cap-freeing solution to keep Beauvillier? Are you of one of those who believe Barzal will sign for 2 X 3.9 or...?

I mean, something has to give. You guys ain't Tampa but it's not exactly cap roses either, we have 2-3 years of flat cap ahead of us for sure.

It's really like none of the fanbases of teams currently facing cap issues (i.e. this season and/or next season, still under a flat cap with raises due) are willing to take a loss on departing assets in the name of cap space. As if none of it matters. My guess is y'all will come around to it.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
LW depth and a few important raises due next year after Barzal's contract is dealt with. It's in the OP.

Are there easy long term cap clearing options Lou is contemplating that I'm clearly not aware of?

Easy ? No. Doable>? Yes.
Local press is saying Barzal is willing to take a short term, team friendly deal which along with Pulock's new deal helps.
Isles are likely going to lose Cizikas. Either this off season or next. Like Toews, he will end up a cap sacrifice so younger, higher priority players can be signed. The isles sound reluctant to move their 2021 1st.How much cap space can the two 2nds+ possiblly a solid prospect like Bellows/Koivula bring back?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Hey I don't think Lou smokes the bong, like at all. Maybe way, way back. :skeptic:

What's your cap-freeing solution to keep Beauvillier? Are you of one of those who believe Barzal will sign for 2 X 3.9 or...?

I mean, something has to give. You guys ain't Tampa but it's not exactly cap roses either, we have 2-3 years of flat cap ahead of us for sure.

It's really like none of the fanbases of teams currently facing cap issues (i.e. this season and/or next season, still under a flat cap with raises due) are willing to take a loss on departing assets in the name of cap space. As if none of it matters. My guess is y'all will come around to it.

Isles cap eases after the 2021-2022 season.
Before this off season we had armchair GMs insisting Pulock would get at least $6m per, possibly $7m. He signed for $5m.

I think it's Andrew Gross in Newsday,who recently reported that Barzal was willing to take team friendly, short term deal.

Get back to us when Beau, Barzal's best friend, prices himself off the island. I expect Beau to take a short term deal next summer and come back to the table the following summer, when the team's cap crunch is past.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Isles cap eases after the 2021-2022 season.
Before this off season we had armchair GMs insisting Pulock would get at least $6m per, possibly $7m. He signed for $5m.

I think it's Andrew Gross in Newsday he recently reported that Barzal was willing to take team friendly, short term deal.

Get back to us when Beau, Barzal's best friend, prices himself off the island

So you are one of those. Okay.

Cap eases "after" 2021-22? Easy peezy until then? Lou is alright losing Cizikas?

Time will tell I suppose.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Cap eases "after" 2021-22? Easy peezy until then? Lou is alright losing Cizikas?

Go back in read my earlier post. I said the Isles cap situation was not easy, but doable. Key players being willing to take short term, team friendly deals are a huge help.
Another plus will be that after July 1,2021 bonuses are paid the isles will have Boychuk at 1 yr/$1.25m salary, Hickey at 1 yr/$2.5m salary , Clutterbuck at 1 yr/$2.5m salary. Easier to move or buyout.

Was Lou alright losing Toews from his 2nd pairing? Gonna guess he wasn't, but Barzal+ Pulock were higher priorities then his 2nd pairing LHD. Much like 22 yr old Beau on the 2nd line, is a higher priority then 29 yr old ufa Cizikas on the 4th line.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site

Definitely not "Easy peezy". Losing Toews stings but at least a trade was made out of a position of strength. Also why I agree that Czikas will be gone too as the Isles have strong center depth.

In addition to Czikas going at some point, Ladd will probably be on LTIR to start (and end) the season. Hickey can be buried. Boychuk won't be an easy move next season but will only be one year at a 6M cap hit with 1.25M in actual salary after his signing bonus is paid off.

They'll lose someone with salary to Seattle along with a pick.

My guess would be that as soon as Ladd is declared unfit, Barzal signs for 6.5 or 7 on a 2 year bridge. Once Hickey is buried that would allow Greene and Martin to be signed for 1m each and the roster will be "set" (though not improved and we had an awful 2nd half of the season last year).

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Go back in read my earlier post. I said the Isles cap situation was not easy, but doable. Key players being willing to take short term, team friendly deals are a huge help.
Another plus will be that after July 1,2021 bonuses are paid the isles will have Boychuk at 1 yr/$1.25m salary, Hickey at 1 yr/$2.5m salary , Clutterbuck at 1 yr/$2.5m salary. Easier to move or buyout.

Was Lou alright losing Toews from his 2nd pairing? Gonna guess he wasn't, but Barzal+ Pulock were higher priorities then his 2nd pairing LHD. Much like 22 yr old Beau on the 2nd line, is a higher priority then 29 yr old ufa Cizikas on the 4th line.

So your short term "help" to give Beauvillier a raise, notwithstanding Pelech's coming due at the same time, is to buy out and/or move some of those contracts you mentioned? You think that does it, that it's clearly enough?

First you have to see how much Barzal gets now, then assess Pelech/Beau/Cizikas ahead of next offseason still in a flat cap world - somehow in all this, the only "casualties" would be Cizikas and maybe a guy like Hickey. Good luck with the math. Wish I could .gif panicking Kermit with a "Team-friendly deals for everyooooooone!!!!" caption.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Definitely not "Easy peezy". Losing Toews stings but at least a trade was made out of a position of strength. Also why I agree that Czikas will be gone too as the Isles have strong center depth.

In addition to Czikas going at some point, Ladd will probably be on LTIR to start (and end) the season. Hickey can be buried. Boychuk won't be an easy move next season but will only be one year at a 6M cap hit with 1.25M in actual salary after his signing bonus is paid off.

They'll lose someone with salary to Seattle along with a pick.

My guess would be that as soon as Ladd is declared unfit, Barzal signs for 6.5 or 7 on a 2 year bridge. Once Hickey is buried that would allow Greene and Martin to be signed for 1m each and the roster will be "set" (though not improved and we had an awful 2nd half of the season last year).

This entails several "ifs" and "can" but props for coming up with a plan. Lou has his hands full.

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Really impressed by Beauvillier. He’s not going anywhere after that playoff.

I’m sure Leddy and or Boychuck will be moved to clear the cap.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
So your short term "help" to give Beauvillier a raise, notwithstanding Pelech's coming due at the same time, is to buy out and/or move some of those contracts you mentioned? You think that does it, that it's clearly enough?

First you have to see how much Barzal gets now, then assess Pelech/Beau/Cizikas ahead of next offseason still in a flat cap world - somehow in all this, the only "casualties" would be Cizikas and maybe a guy like Hickey. Good luck with the math. Wish I could .gif panicking Kermit with a "Team-friendly deals for everyooooooone!!!!" caption.
Pulock was quoted after signing his recent $5m per deal, saying he and Barzal had talked and agreed to take team friendly,short term deals.

Press has been feeding nyi fans stories for a few yrs now, about best friends Barzal & Beau. You think after Pulock & Barzal take short term, team friendly deals,that they won't encourage Beau to take a 1 yr deal and look for a bigger deal in the summer 2022?

Isles cap crunch is for the next two seasons.After that it eases. Also, as Pure Slaughter points out,the expansion draft likely takes a good player with a sizable caphit ( Leddy/Bailey).

Reactions: Quicklime

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
So

Toews wouldn't take a team friendly deal and was moved for futures, which I expect to be attached to 1-2 bad contracts. Hardly a case of team friendly deals for everyooooone!!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad