Post-Game Talk: PHX er... ARZ vs. NSH 7PM CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I don't get the idea of walking up to a smoking crater in the ground and thinking, what this used-to-be building really needs at this point is for me to call in another air strike. Bouncing the rubble a few more times doesn't build anything.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I really don't get why anyone would freak out right now.

We all knew this was going to be a bumpy ride.

Did few "good" games against some better teams delude anyone into thinking this was a top tier team?

I'm not happy, but I'm not surprised

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Did few "good" games against some better teams delude anyone into thinking this was a top tier team?

4+ goals allowed in 5 of the last 6 games and the worst PK in the league for the season to date get people freaking.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
4+ goals allowed in 5 of the last 6 games and the worst PK in the league for the season to date get people freaking.
But if you wanted to burn it down for draft picks and it falls apart, does the squeaky wheel really make a sound?

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I mean, we're kinda where I expected us to be when we sold off a few people. We knew the young kids were going to be having growing pains, we knew the team was going to be trying a new system. I wanted a rebuild myself, so I'm happy to live through the ups and downs of some turmoil as we work on rebuilding over the next year or two and hopefully by year 3 we're trending in a positive direction.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
After a great night's sleep, I made what I call a 'Redneck full English'; 3 eggs, 5 sausage links, steak fries which I defrosted, then fried up in a pan with pats of real butter. The breakfast is wonderfully cooked, eggs perfectly scrambled, sausages lighted crisped, the steak fries golden brown with a dash of old bay. I look at this bounty, with rested eyes, sipping a soda pairing of starry and think....

This f***ing team sucks and needs a blow up.

Every intrusive thought is right and the season needs to die in a fire in hopes of purifying the gene pool. Trotz needs to wakeup and choose violence. Last night in my rage I made a list of UFAs.

View attachment 767192

Carrier I would sign back, Novak is 50/50. The rest can either help Milwaukee or add to the prospects/draft coffers. I want the scraps of this team to go elsewhere and die in a fire. This emotion must come with patience, set a price and wait till deadline to get that price. BUT! these are the 1 yrs, they traditionally wait till TDL. The 2 yr contracts you need to look at offers now;

View attachment 767193

That's it. That is all. If Saros can't get a Jeannot deal then Trotz needs to either find a new title, go back to coaching, or look at a new retirement home. I am a Trotz fanboy. Barry Trotz the head coach was awesome. I would venture he was the best coach of our generation. Barry Trotz the GM has no friends. If he wants a friend, he can get a dog. Barry needs to get in touch with his inner sociopath and throw a grenade into the locker room.

My breakfast done, wonderful, sun is rising along with temps here, I ask myself what do I want? After my buffet of medications is in me, I think to myself what does this team need? Stars. A hockey roster is a creme brulee; a thick cream made of depth with an upper crust. This team needs a thicker upper crust. I want after the night of long knives passes a stud RHD, after that, talent EVERYWHERE.

What would I do? Set a price for Saros, sign Carrier, look at what offers are up for Novak before seeing what he wants for a contract, and purge. Get a stud RHD before the draft because there is a lot of D in the projected top 10 now.

The country club has been this club and frankly, us. We got fat and happy on fun times and now it's time to pay the bill.
I don't get the love for Carrier, either here or the media, I really don't. You could replace him with anyone and you wouldn't know the difference. I guess if you can get him for 1x1 then maybe, but otherwise I'd just move him for what scraps you can or let him walk and call someone up.

Truth outside of Saros you have nothing of real value and Trotz is not moving him unless someone offered the moon. That may happen but teams aren't there yet outside of Edmonton and they have nothing to offer very good anyways.

Reactions: hockey diva

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

I'm not freaking out but if we are going to be this bad the whole point of paying the Vets is kind of removed. That said we don't have enough guys ready for it to really be a big deal anyways.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
But if you wanted to burn it down for draft picks and it falls apart, does the squeaky wheel really make a sound?

Yes it does.

An early draft choice doesn't necessarily equate to the miracle turn around that HF hypes up so often. The Penguins, Blackhawks, Oilers, Sabres all had multiple high picks in a span of 5ish drafts with drastically varying degrees of team success. It is delusional to think a tank is one year ... maybe three. The Wings are at seven seasons without a playoff appearance, a decade without advancing to the second round. The Oil have one run in the past 16 seasons ... four #1 overall picks in the last 13 drafts ... numerous other top 5, top 10 picks.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Yes it does.

An early draft choice doesn't necessarily equate to the miracle turn around that HF hypes up so often. The Penguins, Blackhawks, Oilers, Sabres all had multiple high picks in a span of 5ish drafts with drastically varying degrees of team success. It is delusional to think a tank is one year ... maybe three. The Wings are at seven seasons without a playoff appearance, a decade without advancing to the second round. The Oil have one run in the past 16 seasons ... four #1 overall picks in the last 13 drafts ... numerous other top 5, top 10 picks.
Agreed.

At any rate, it's inconsistent to complain they aren't burning it down for top draft picks, and then when on a franchise historically bad trajectory for a top draft pick complain they aren't winning.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
They are not going to “burn it down” 17% of the way into the season. No one is going to gift us anything of value this early. The Jeannot trade doesn’t happen 17% of the way in. Every hockey analyst had the team missing the playoffs, so I am not sure what everyone is surprised about. We all had hope entering the season because we are fans.

My prediction is that I’m fairly sure the team will get some kind of a winning streak going sooner than later and we will all be able have a virtual group hug. Then we will s$&@ the bed around the TDL and that’s when it will get interesting.

Between the Preds rough start, NSC scoring one goal in its last eight and none in the playoffs, and the debacle that is the Titans, it’s tough being a Nashville sports fan right now.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Yes it does.

I don't think anyone has argued that a top pick "guarantees" anything. Nor do I see anyone advocating for a Red Wings style "tank".. partially because it's not really possible. When Holland left Detroit they had basically nothing in terms of assets. Nashville is in a completely different situation.

It's hard to argue the fact that recent champs tended to go through significant downturns though, whether going full tank or not. The Avs never really went full scorched earth but they didn't get MacKinnon, Makar and Landeskog by being great all the time. Stamkos and Hedman came from TBL being awful. Caps and Pens were famously built around very high picks as were the Blackhawks before their recent blow-up.

The real outliers in that regard in recent Cup winners are the Blues and Vegas. Blues had the one magical run and Vegas, well, they've had some great GM work but also were in a completely unique situation that's not really comparable to anyone else in the NHL.

It takes more.. a lot more.. than just tanking to make a contender, and a full tank is a risky move to be sure. I've said all along that it's hard to consider a teardown in Nashville (to whatever extent is even possible) "tanking" when you already have a top 10ish prospect pool and tons of draft capital.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't think anyone has argued that a top pick "guarantees" anything. Nor do I see anyone advocating for a Red Wings style "tank".. partially because it's not really possible. When Holland left Detroit they had basically nothing in terms of assets. Nashville is in a completely different situation.

It's hard to argue the fact that recent champs tended to go through significant downturns though, whether going full tank or not. The Avs never really went full scorched earth but they didn't get MacKinnon, Makar and Landeskog by being great all the time. Stamkos and Hedman came from TBL being awful. Caps and Pens were famously built around very high picks as were the Blackhawks before their recent blow-up.

The real outliers in that regard in recent Cup winners are the Blues and Vegas. Blues had the one magical run and Vegas, well, they've had some great GM work but also were in a completely unique situation that's not really comparable to anyone else in the NHL.

It takes more.. a lot more.. than just tanking to make a contender, and a full tank is a risky move to be sure. I've said all along that it's hard to consider a teardown in Nashville (to whatever extent is even possible) "tanking" when you already have a top 10ish prospect pool and tons of draft capital.
The Avs actually went through two separate tank phases within a span of about 8 years (Duchene/Landeskog phase, then Mackinnon/ Makar). They are one of the tankier teams that gets ignored because of how much worse Edmonton, Buffalo, and the like were).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad