Value of: Phillip Danault

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
And with that goes approximately 5million in cap space for replacement player/s so it’s not like the sky will fall . I think danault in the end will take the 5 per on a hometown discount rather than uprooot the family and go to nyr or Minnesota for 6ish

I wouldn't be shocked if he stays, but an extra $5-$6 million isn't nothing when it's your first and most likely last "big" contract.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Danault is a head case. Tough to gauge his value and tough to gauge is utility to the team after this season. I guess it all depends on KK. If KK shows he can manage top 6 duty, Danault is as good as gone unless he accepts a 3rd line center contract.

That being said, it would be stupid to lose a player of his quality for nothing.

Why is he a headcase for negociating a contract ? Just wondering.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Yeah, Danault won't make the difference on this year's MN team. Next year, maybe, if Rossi is able to play C at a high level, Boldy looks good, and a host of other good things happen. Trading Danault to MN this year is a pipe dream. Maybe to some other more competitive team, for a very late first?

If i was MTL I'd keep him. In a season like this depth will be critical. Danault gives them that. He could be one of the reasons that MTL goes far in the playoffs.

The way the year is going for Montreal, I just can’t see a rational reason to trade Danault. Danault has stated in the last couple of days he wants to finish his career in Montreal.

I think Danault is starting to understand that Montreal has and will have contender for the next 3-5 years and he looks like he wants to be a part of it. I think both clan will find a deal that is a win-win for everyone and Danault will stay in Montreal past this season.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Why is he a headcase for negociating a contract ? Just wondering.

He's not. People expect him to sign a $3-4M contract because it would be super-beneficial for the team. Unfortunately Danault could get $2-3M more (per year) as an UFA and there are not a lot of players that will say no to that, even at the cost of being on a "worst" team.

I think that he complements KK and Suzuki almost perfectly, so I would rather see him re-sign with the Habs. But at the same time I understand that this is to the benefit of the team, not his.

Reactions: THE HOFF

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I wouldn't be shocked if he stays, but an extra $5-$6 million isn't nothing when it's your first and most likely last "big" contract.
This is a reasonable argument for sure . If danault’s offensive numbers don’t improve I’m not sure if those 6ish per year offers will still be on the table especially in today’s economic climate .

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He's not. People expect him to sign a $3-4M contract because it would be super-beneficial for the team. Unfortunately Danault could get $2-3M more (per year) as an UFA and there are not a lot of players that will say no to that, even at the cost of being on a "worst" team.

No one expects Danault to sign at $3-4M — everyone is aware that he turned down a reported offer of $5M over 5-6 years. I’ve seen a few fans disappointed in him and claiming he’s worth less than $5M, but it doesn’t look to me to be a majority view — the low ball comments are more in jest given his underwhelming performance so far this season.

Agreed that he’ll get more on the open market. Best for the Habs if he remains unsigned — they can still have a shot at him later and not have to protect him for the expansion draft.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Certainly not, but Danault's potential for income outside of a hockey contract is also higher in a Canadiens uniform than it is basically anywhere else.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
No one expects Danault to sign at $3-4M — everyone is aware that he turned down a reported offer of $5M over 5-6 years. I’ve seen a few fans disappointed in him and claiming he’s worth less than $5M, but it doesn’t look to me to be a majority view — the low ball comments are more in jest given his underwhelming performance so far this season.

Agreed that he’ll get more on the open market. Best for the Habs if he remains unsigned — they can still have a shot at him later and not have to protect him for the expansion draft.
Danault isnt worth more than 5M. We all know MB has been very generous when offering term and money to whathe deems is the core of the team, and all Habs fans know that without Gallagher and Tatar both having great to career year(s) Danault has trouble scoring 12 goals and 40 points in a full 82 games season. If, last season, Danault had Domi's linemates, Danault would've scored less points than Domi. Just my 2c.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Certainly not, but Danault's potential for income outside of a hockey contract is also higher in a Canadiens uniform than it is basically anywhere else.

Is it really? Without deep diving the numbers, I can't imagine it making a whole lot of difference for guys that aren't Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin, etc... especially when that guy is expected to take a diminished role going forward.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Is it really? Without deep diving the numbers, I can't imagine it making a whole lot of difference for guys that aren't Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin, etc... especially when that guy is expected to take a diminished role going forward.

I doubt it's worth a million dollars (even accounting for taxes) a year, but there are a lot of lucrative opportunities available to local Canadians that don't exist elsewhere. Doubly so for a bilingual local player in Quebec on a team with only two other bilingual players.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I doubt it's worth a million dollars (even accounting for taxes) a year, but there are a lot of lucrative opportunities available to local Canadians that don't exist elsewhere. Doubly so for a bilingual local player in Quebec on a team with only two other bilingual players.

To add on to that more specifically, Idk how much players are paid for commercials, but I could see Danault be part of a Quebec-centric commercial for Bell Media or something. Especially with him being arguably the best/most popular Habs player who can speak French. Not really elsewhere will he have those opportunities because, like the other poster said, you need to be a star

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I wonder if toffoli would work well as a replacement for Tatar on that line next year . I mean would the line still be as effective 5 on5 . Toffoli seems to be similar to Tatar in they think the game really well . Next years potential top nine :

toffoli -danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
Lehkonen/Byron -kotkaniemi- armia

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Danault isnt worth more than 5M. We all know MB has been very generous when offering term and money to whathe deems is the core of the team, and all Habs fans know that without Gallagher and Tatar both having great to career year(s) Danault has trouble scoring 12 goals and 40 points in a full 82 games season. If, last season, Danault had Domi's linemates, Danault would've scored less points than Domi. Just my 2c.

Danault may not be worth $5M but I don’t think there is any doubt that someone would pay him at least $5M on the open market. The Habs don’t need to be that team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Local players always have an edge in their home markets, however it also depends who that player is as you’ve argued.

There is nothing particularly marketable about Danault — I don’t remember him being part of major advertising campaigns like Drouin has been and Danault is already into his 6th year as a Hab.

Doesn’t appear to me that revenue from other sources would be a deciding factor for Danault but only he, his agent and accounting firm would be privy to that.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
On how PDs played this year I offer 3 years at $3,5MM

Could not disagree more, he is playing as if he was not in a contract year, not risking turnovers, being as good as ever defensively speaking. It is just that people don't seem to understand that his offensive numbers are not what matters. I'd give him 5x5 as I would have months ago. Suzuki has been the best Center in MTL over a 11 games sample but honestly Danault is easilty the 2nd best while KK and Evans are a fair bit behind.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
his value is that of a rental to the habs. he isnt getting moved, and I'm guessing its gonna take 5-6mil per to extent him

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Wrong decision by MB to still keep Danault around and lose him for nothing.
So if you trade him for futures at the deadline we’d be more less giving up on any playoff hopes wouldn’t we ? The team is well built for playoff hockey but taking your top defensive center out would definitely hurt the teams chances . What would you do ?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
So if you trade him for futures at the deadline we’d be more less giving up on any playoff hopes wouldn’t we ? The team is well built for playoff hockey but taking your top defensive center out would definitely hurt the teams chances . What would you do ?

He's taken himself out the last half dozen games at least...no longer the Top defensive centre, that's actually been Evans lately closely followed by Suzuki who's D-game is growing by the day...I'd take Bennett on the 3rd line right now over Danault...

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
He's taken himself out the last half dozen games at least...no longer the Top defensive centre, that's actually been Evans lately closely followed by Suzuki who's D-game is growing by the day...I'd take Bennett on the 3rd line right now over Danault...

I still believe in Danault, you do not lose all your defensive game in a few months. I believe the issue is that he saw himself as a top line center whereas he is not and that was highlighted by Suzuki and KK playing better. I would actually mix things up, Danault on the third line with Toffoli and Lekhonen, Evans with Byron and Armia, KK with Tatar and Gallagher (but as mentioned on another post with KK playing in the center not next to the boards like he does now).

The way I see it is that you want complementary players on each lines : and MTL only has one line which complements itself (Drouin Suzuki Anderson), the others are the slow line (Toffoli, KK, Perry/Armia) with three players playing close to the net, the shutdown line (Tatar Danault Gallagher), which needs a center with better offensive instincts to make the bridge between Tatar and Gallagher on possession plays, the quick and skinny line (Evans Lekhonen, Byron), which has speed but sometimes lack a big body in the corners. Regarding defense I have already made my point : Chiarot + Weber = very bad idea

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00