Value of: Phillip Danault

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I’m genuinely curious to see what everyone thinks is Danault’s worth right now. We all know he’s a soon-to-be UFA, but what if discussions for an extension are to take place before said trade...

He’s one of the top defensive Centers in the league. He shuts down all the top Centers (he had the top 2 players, McDrai, get a measly assist in two full games, and recently had MacKinnon pimp him out big time).

Anyway, with Julien playing him less than all other Centers last night, I was wondering if we traded him; what could be had?

Hit me with your best offer!

BarracudaMtl

Apr 15, 2018
PLD ?
tenor.gif

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Would this be if the Habs fell off a cliff? I think they would jsut let his deal expire if they are in the thick of it this year.

Let's say they did move him - I think he gets you a something like the Patches deal in structure - B prospect, roster player, add ons. It would probably be a very good return, he's been excellent for a while now. No shortage of teams that need a shut down C.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Would this be if the Habs fell off a cliff? I think they would jsut let his deal expire if they are in the thick of it this year.

Let's say they did move him - I think he gets you a something like the Patches deal in structure - B prospect, roster player, add ons. It would probably be a very good return, he's been excellent for a while now. No shortage of teams that need a shut down C.
If we can get another Suzuki, Tatar, and Norlinder, then I’d be over the moon lol.

But I get a feeling Bergevin will try to trade him as opposed to lose him for nothing (if he knows he can’t extend him).

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
If we can get another Suzuki, Tatar, and Norlinder, then I’d be over the moon lol.

But I get a feeling Bergevin will try to trade him as opposed to lose him for nothing (if he knows he can’t extend him).

Even if you are in the thick of things?

I don't know enough about the Habs organization to answer this - who would slide into the C role? Right now the top 3 are Suz, KK and Danault.

Maybe you could move him to Colorado for Kadri+assets if it's an in season trade. I have a feeling Sakic might make a play for PLD, though.

Reactions: Canadienna

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Even if you are in the thick of things?

I don't know enough about the Habs organization to answer this - who would slide into the C role? Right now the top 3 are Suz, KK and Danault.

Maybe you could move him to Colorado for Kadri+assets if it's an in season trade. I have a feeling Sakic might make a play for PLD, though.
I mean Julien gave him the least amount of minutes as a C last night and it worked out perfectly well. This could have been a test to see how the team does without him. I just found it really strange, since he’s usually the second most used C (after Suzuki). Also, Evans would step in for 3C duties (he’s been fantastic as our 4C and still young and learning).

Also, I definitely see Colorado make a strong push for PLD.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Danault is a head case. Tough to gauge his value and tough to gauge is utility to the team after this season. I guess it all depends on KK. If KK shows he can manage top 6 duty, Danault is as good as gone unless he accepts a 3rd line center contract.

That being said, it would be stupid to lose a player of his quality for nothing.

Reactions: A Loyal Hot Dog

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I mean Julien gave him the least amount of minutes as a C last night and it worked out perfectly well. This could have been a test to see how the team does without him. I just found it really strange, since he’s usually the second most used C (after Suzuki). Also, Evans would step in for 3C duties (he’s been fantastic as our 4C and still young and learning).

Also, I definitely see Colorado make a strong push for PLD.

The Habs strategy this year is to spread around minutes, the NHL version of "load management", because they have depth at every position and have been winning so they are actively trying to make sure key guys aren't worn down early on with the condensed schedule. Last night Alex Romanov had most ice time of all D-men. They want someone like Danault well rested for later in the season or playoffs when he is going to be on the ice big minutes against Matthews or McDavid in big games.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I’m genuinely curious to see what everyone thinks is Danault’s worth right now. We all know he’s a soon-to-be UFA, but what if discussions for an extension are to take place before said trade...

He’s one of the top defensive Centers in the league. He shuts down all the top Centers (he had the top 2 players, McDrai, get a measly assist in two full games, and recently had MacKinnon pimp him out big time).

Anyway, with Julien playing him less than all other Centers last night, I was wondering if we traded him; what could be had?

Hit me with your best offer!

You could see that one of the reasons Julien played him less was because MTL had such a large lead (most of his minutes were taken by Evans). Suzuki is the top center offensively that is true but Danault always played 16+ minutes per game except this last one.

MTL plays a game based on depth, they cannot move him if they want to contend.

The tricky question is what comes after this season: the Habs have 15.5m cap to sign Tatar, Danault, Armia, Lekhonen, Mete, KK. This is the only reason I would see Bergevin considering trading Danault, but if he sees the Habs performing well (too soon to tell), he may even keep him until free agency. In my opinion, Bergevin counts on the fact that Seattle will take Chiarot or Edmunson, which should free up some more cap space. Also, trading Kulak would make sense if it really comes down too close (1 yr left at 1.8m for a serviceable 3rd pair D)

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Danault will sign a hometown discount contract extension and will terrorize the top lines for a decade. Because i said so.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
30 million over 5 years in UFA this summer (Fall?)

That feels about right, maybe a little less to MTL to stick around. It's hard to think of a team where he wouldn't be a great fit, tbh. My favourite options are Colorado, Carolina (maybe they want to focus on a C who can create more offensively?) or even a team like Ottawa as a UFA signing. Maybe a team like Anaheim, who is loading up on prospects and has Getz deal ending next year, might make a big push if he hits the market.

He basically fits everywhere but possibly Toronto, Tampa, NYI (teams with some C depth and tight cap situations).

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
That feels about right, maybe a little less to MTL to stick around. It's hard to think of a team where he wouldn't be a great fit, tbh. My favourite options are Colorado, Carolina (maybe they want to focus on a C who can create more offensively?) or even a team like Ottawa as a UFA signing. Maybe a team like Anaheim, who is loading up on prospects and has Getz deal ending next year, might make a big push if he hits the market.

He basically fits everywhere but possibly Toronto, Tampa, NYI (teams with some C depth and no tight cap situations).
Wouldn’t suprise me if Minnesota went pretty hard at him. He’s the best u30 center that will be in the market.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Wouldn’t suprise me if Minnesota went pretty hard at him. He’s the best u30 center that will be in the market.

Makes sense. Minny's cap situation next year looks really wild and unpredictable. 22m open with a lot of spots to fill, and extensions needed for Kaprizov and Fiala. Lots of room to make a splash and fill the holes with ELCs and journeymen.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
honnestly i would hate to lose him specially for free but reality is Suzuki and KK keep getting better every game and now with Evans that keeps impressing and Poehling waiting for hes chance i just dont see a future here for him,great center any team would be happy to have him

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I like Danault a lot. The problem is we already have Backlund who is basically the same player. If Bennett ends up playing well enough to take the expansion protection slot from Backlund Danault is who I would go after at UFA.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Habs are going to be a playoff team this year, Habs need him as a centre this year so he isn’t going to be traded........he will walk to UFA for free. He isn’t being traded.

A Loyal Dog

Oct 20, 2016
Habs are going to be a playoff team this year, Habs need him as a centre this year so he isn’t going to be traded........he will walk to UFA for free. He isn’t being traded.
I would be so sad if we lost him and got absolutely nothing in return. The Habs are still a-ways away from being true Stanley Cup contenders.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad