Reactions: canucklover123

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
As of right now, Danault:

• Has 11 pts in his last 11 games
  • Is 2nd in points on 5 vs 5 on the Habs overall
  • Is third amongst forwards in the NHL for plus-minus with +19
  • Is C of a line that outscored their opponents 18-3 since the start of the season

But it has been said:

• He is an absolutely AWFUL player
  • Is having a horrific season
  • Is a CANCER on the team
  • Should accept that he is only a 3rd liner
  • Should not earn a penny over 4M$
  • Could easily be replaced by Eric Staal or Poehling
Carry on...

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I want Danault to stay on the team. I thought $5M a year was right on money wise. If he wants a bit more thats it can only be a bit more as we are tight on the Cap, so if he digs in at more than say $5,5M, I can't see us being able to do it. We need to sign KK, thinking about $3M for 2 years, and then I would pick Lehks over Armia at about the same salary.

Tatar is also gone. We need 4 or 5 $1M players, hopefully from the farm.

Reactions: canucklover123

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I want Danault to stay on the team. I thought $5M a year was right on money wise. If he wants a bit more thats it can only be a bit more as we are tight on the Cap, so if he digs in at more than say $5,5M, I can't see us being able to do it. We need to sign KK, thinking about $3M for 2 years, and then I would pick Lehks over Armia at about the same salary.

Tatar is also gone. We need 4 or 5 $1M players, hopefully from the farm.

Right, I think the more he asks per year, the less amount of years we should offer. We have to believe for our Franchise sake that our two young guns will be impact players asking for some coin in the future. I think MB will try to time it properly to have the new contracts hit in when PD is out in the future (This is best case scenario)

Worst case and what i Assume is more likely, we wont be able to afford what he asks and the term he wants

Regardless, love seeing my guy PD doing work out there

Reactions: yianik

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
His +/- matches his point total. That's a coach's wet dream.

I guess those Selke votes and what players thought about him around the league actually does mean something, who woulda thought !

I do miss the first couple games when he wasnt producing, HF had some wild takes on his game lol

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Phil has ben brining it now, for the past 10 games, great to see , for this team to win, they need the top 9 guys to all carry their weight,.............we wont mention the first 23 games, cuz we might hurt some people's feelings!! We also wont mention his turning down the habs lucrative offer....or how he has not welcomed the role they would like him to play!!
LOL......................sample sizes are always hilarious to fit a narrative.
Carry on....

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

• Is C of a line that outscored their opponents 18-3 since the start of the season

But it has been said:

Carry on...

Some of these numbers shock me. Particularly, the line has only conceded 3 goals all year.... And he's second in 5 on 5 points on the club? That's impressive.

There are a couple drawbacks with Danault. For one, he can't score. Secondly, he's useless in PP situations.

The lack of PP utility, and the lack of finish from Phil sort of makes him a quasi top 6 talent, but he will want to be paid just the same.

Anyways, thanks for sharing those numbers. It put some perspective on the kind of player he is despite him not looking to be his best this season.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013

But it has been said:

Carry on...

His stats going up while having less AVG minutes on ice compared to previous years while still having the toughest assignments makes me lol.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

But it has been said:

Carry on...
He’s been terrific.

when Dom was hired, I wrote that PD would benefit most among the players. He has.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I went into the Flames forum and saw that Danault is penciled into many of their lineups as a summer ufa signing.

Now that he's back to playing well, there should be a market for his services.

Anyone who thought we'd be able to sign him for cheap should re-consider. Centers are in high demand.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I went into the Flames forum and saw that Danault is penciled into many of their lineups as a summer ufa signing.

Now that he's back to playing well, there should be a market for his services.

Anyone who thought we'd be able to sign him for cheap should re-consider. Centers are in high demand.

Yeah ok but, penciled WHERE in their line ups lol?..

Reactions: Doc McKenna

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah ok but, penciled WHERE in their line ups lol?..

2c, actually. Flames fans have wanted to move monahan for a while:

I don’t know, we kinda need a right handed scoring winger #1 PP shooter option more than anything right now. We also have skilled wingers and two-way C’s to play him with and help him become a better all-around player, but my god do we need a legit shooter. Our PP1 would be so much better and it would honestly open up so much space for Johnny. Monahan for Laine is definitely a risk but if we can’t get a high 1st+good prospect or a Dumba or Reinhart type of player we should consider it. Sign a replacement two-way C in the off-season (Phillip Danault) and role with:
Gaudreau-Lindholm-Laine
Tkachuk-Danault-Mangiapane
Dube-Backlund-Phillips/UFA
Lucic-Ryan-Leivo

that’s a pretty solid upgrade. At that point we just have to figure out the D situation and with the top-10 pick we have a much better outlook. Not my first choice but would address a HUGE area of need. For sure have to make sure he’s not asking for something crazy like 9 mil after a year like this though, I’d bet his contract is closer to the 6-7 mil range

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well, at least that's better than playing him 1C like we do
I dunno if he'll be "happy" being 2nd fiddle tho lol

Hell WE'LL take Monahan lmao

I haven't watched Monahan closely. Flames fans say he's like a goal scoring winger who plays center - he has tunnel vision. They were saying even when he put up numbers with Gaudreau that they wanted him gone - he kills too many plays. They're not at all surprised with his decline in production this year.

They've always said they hope they can flip him to a team that thinks he'll be a great center, when he really just isn't...

If we ever somehow got him, from the reports, I'd try him on the wing. Big and can score.

Last edited:
Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I haven't watched Monahan closely. Flames fans say he's like a goal scoring winger who plays center - he has tunnel vision. They were saying even when he put up numbers with Gaudreau that they wanted him gone - he kills too many plays. They're not at all surprised with his decline in production this year.

They've always said they hope they can flip him to a team that thinks he'll be a great center, when he really just isn't...

If we ever somehow got him, from the reports, I'd try him on the wing. Big, fast, and can score.

Id take Monahan in my top 6 over Danault every day of the week and three times on sunday.

Reactions: Habs178

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Id take Monahan in my top 6 over Danault every day of the week and three times on sunday.

Below is why Flames fans have him on the block. Bot sure we'd be better with Suzuki, Kk, Monahan than Suzuki, KK, Phil. Note, Monahan's cap hit is 6.35M:

I defs would try that, but imo its not like moving Monahan to the wing and away from Gaudreau will help him elevate his game offensively, which is the main (only) value he provides. At that point I'd rather look for a natural RH RW or picks+prospects and allocate that extra 6 mil elsewhere cause imo a Tkachuk-_____-Monahan line would be terrifying defensively, any Monahan-Gaudreau combination has already been beaten to death, and his value is wasted at $6.35 on a 3rd line. He just isn't the type of guy I'd want to play with my top players long-term. He can absolutely snip it but he can't create space for our more skilled guys and can't be the reliable defensive C/W that allows his linemates to create the chances. That plus his average footspeed and I definitely don't think he's a fit on this Sutter team

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
No offence but if you honestly think that you haven't watched Monahan since 2018. Not trying to be a dick at all I'm literally just a Flames fan who watches every game and I'm not kidding Danault has created more offence in the past week than Monahan has at 5v5 for two seasons now, and that's playing with Gaudreau. Slight exxaggeration but honestly you are getting a slower/ less-skilled Max Pacioretty with wrist issues in Monahan. The ONLY possible argument for Monahan is if you already have elite shutdown C's and all you need is a one-dimensional scorer, but since you guys have Suzuki and KK (who I promise you are already equal if not certainly better than Monahan) you guys reaaaaally shouldn't be spending 6 on Monahan. Maybe Danault at that price isn't the best value either, but I promise you you don't want Monahan's 6 mil given the quality of C's you already have. From my outside perspective I'd say Left D is clearly the area to upgrade. Also ironic that my post started with No offence because that's how much 5v5 offence Monahan creates on a nightly basis

Last edited:

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Below is why Flames fans have him on the block. Bot sure we'd be better with Suzuki, Kk, Monahan than Suzuki, KK, Phil. Note, Monahan's cap hit is 6.35M:
100% perfect example of 'the devil you know is better than the devil you don't'. Danault may not be worth the extension (I do think he is tho you guys outscore the opposition 26-8 with him on the ice this year and over 60% xGF and CF for 3 seasons now) but I promise Monahan is not the solution lol. Believe me, if Monahan was what you think he can be there's no chance we'd be trading him since we need scoring and a 1C even more than you guys hahah. For context this is the Expected Goals for today's game vs the Leafs and it's really not Johnny's fault

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 1.26.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 1.26.39 AM.png
    629.4 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: A Loyal Dog
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad