Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is Winnipeg still in the market for a 2C?

I'd be more than willing to package Danault, a defensive prospect and a couple picks for Laine.
The thought of having Suzuki/Caufield and KK/Laine as a 1/2 punch is too much for me to pass on.

I was in the Jets fan forum. Their fans have not interest in a Domi, 1st, Caufield package for Laine. I doubt substituting Danault for Laine turns the tide. Maybe adding him does?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Julien will return as the coach and play Danault in a more offensive role over KK and Suzuki and Danault will be the new MT and DD battle cry. Should be interesting reading next season. :)

Plenty of time to trade Danault before Julien even considers a return.

Reactions: Gravity and sheed36

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Oh god don't remind me of DD and MT we had to live with DD and MT for far too long I never wished anyone ill will but MT and DD I came very very close to it.....

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
I was in the Jets fan forum. Their fans have not interest in a Domi, 1st, Caufield package for Laine. I doubt substituting Danault for Laine turns the tide. Maybe adding him does?
Doesn't matter what the jets fans think.
It's what the organisations think that matters.
And no one knows anything about that, no point in speculating.

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
I care more about what their GM thinks.
If they can add a solid 2C and top 4 Dman along with solid picks I can't see that offer just getting swept under the rug, especially considering their lack of success recently.

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Doesn't matter what the jets fans think.
It's what the organisations think that matters.
And no one knows anything about that, no point in speculating.

True but the Jets fans at least have the Jets organization at heart. I was responding to a post in this forum where a fan was speculating that we could get Laine for Danault and one of our D prospects...

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If the Habs did put Danault on the market though I think many teams would be lining up to acquire the guy and the Habs should get a pretty decent return for this player.

Having said that I don't see the Habs making him available but if that's how he feels maybe moving him for a very good return wouldn't be the worst thing right now.

As I've said before other than Suzuki, KK, plus the top prospects and future high draft picks I don't care if any other current Habs player was moved if the return was very good.

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
So we acquire Drouin and pay him 5.5 after onr 50pts season in Tampa. Danault sees this and is aware that:

1. he produces just as much
2. plays a more important position
3. Is miles better defensively

So it's obvious that he thinks he deserves at least 6.5 mil. He keeps hearing all this talk that he's a future selke winner, yet you all expect him to accept a team friendly deal?
Danault EASILY gets 7 on the UFA. Look at the Hayes deal & Danault is better.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The problem with this logic is that other teams top lines play 20 mins a game...which means if you're using Danault to shadow these top lines.

It doesn't leave a lot of minutes for Kotkaniemi and Suzuki for "offensive missions".

This team will have turned the corner when THEY dictate matchups, not react to them.

A ******* MEN.

Reactions: 417

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Having him taking care of defensive assignments and harder minutes can ease Suzuki/KK into top 6 roles. Hopefully he re-signs at a decent cap hit, having him as shutdown 45+ pt C is great. Especially if he no longer has expectation to be the point producer.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I care more about what their GM thinks.
If they can add a solid 2C and top 4 Dman along with solid picks I can't see that offer just getting swept under the rug, especially considering their lack of success recently.

Yeah, I think their GM has their team's interest at heart, just as their fans do, and you don't.

Question for you: if you were the Jets GM, would you make that trade?

If Romanov is the prospect, and our 1st is the pick, that's a start. What package for Laine would you take as the Jets GM?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Suzy is our #1C going into next year and the team should let Danault and KK battle it out to see who's #2C. A healthy competition is great and they can figure it out as the year goes on.
Agreed. Except I'd like to first see Suzuki actually being our best center over the span of 82 games before declaring him one.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Oh god don't remind me of DD and MT we had to live with DD and MT for far too long I never wished anyone ill will but MT and DD I came very very close to it.....

It's coming to a rink near you so you've been warned. :) Julien and Danault will be the new MT and DD on this board.

Reactions: Runner77

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
Yeah, I think their GM has their team's interest at heart, just as their fans do, and you don't.

Question for you: if you were the Jets GM, would you make that trade?
I don't know much about the Jet's roster and their weaknesses. But if their main faults are the lack of a 2C and top pairing Dmen (which I believe that's what I've read on here) then I'd probably seriously consider that deal depending on what the picks included were.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know much about the Jet's roster and their weaknesses. But if their main faults are the lack of a 2C and top pairing Dmen (which I believe that's what I've read on here) then I'd probably seriously consider that deal depending on what the picks included were.

So if those are their weaknesses, what package as Jets GM would you take for Laine?

Note that at the stoppage in play this year, at just 21 years old, Laine already has 138 NHL goals. He could easily be a hall of fammer. So what offer do you take for him now from the Habs, having recently turning 22, and knowing if you do trade him, you still have like 3 to 5 years to get a better offer before he's a UFA?

Last edited:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I was on RDS and noticed how Danault's comments caught fire, so I came here to see how it goes. lol
He'll be on trade rumors more often now..

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's coming to a rink near you so you've been warned. :) Julien and Danault will be the new MT and DD on this board.

I don’t know about that.

I hear it’s coming to one of 4 bubble rinks, one of which may or may not be near you. :D

Reactions: sheed36

Mister Ppil

Jun 22, 2019
I don’t think it is necessarily about who he is playing with, it is more the fact that while KK’s play improved, they still had to protect him big time, meaning giving him the gravy and having Danault do the dirty work, and I can’t blame him for not wanting to do that for the next 3-4 years.

In the end, the real problem was that we did not have a real 4th line. If we still had guys like Thompson and Cousins, our 4th line could have taken more of the dirty work freeing up some quality ice time for Danault, and he would likely feel a lot better of his playoffs.

So I do not see it as an ultimatum, but if it is, I’m not sure getting rid of Danault would put us in a better position...

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So we acquire Drouin and pay him 5.5 after onr 50pts season in Tampa. Danault sees this and is aware that:

1. he produces just as much
2. plays a more important position
3. Is miles better defensively

So it's obvious that he thinks he deserves at least 6.5 mil. He keeps hearing all this talk that he's a future selke winner, yet you all expect him to accept a team friendly deal?
Danault EASILY gets 7 on the UFA. Look at the Hayes deal & Danault is better.

Unless the sky falls Danault is not accepting a team friendly contract. Kevin Hayes just signed for 7.142 millions. Yes the cap wont go up but it was not up either when Hayes signed. Danault has built himself a solid reputation and his agent would be 100% dumb to not start the negotiation at 7.142 millions using Hayes as a comparable. His agent knows Hayes is bigger and he'll have to accept less but i would be very surprised if he accepts less than 6.5 millions. If MB offers less than 6.5 he'll test the market and i would do the same.

Gallagher will likely test the market too if he's not paid more then Drouin. He signed a team friendly contract last time and like Patch before him he'll want to be paid this time around. Tatar real cap hit is already 5.3 millions he'll want minimum a 500 000 raise and he'll likely be looking at 6 millions too. MB wont be in a position to offer take it or leave it contracts cause those guys will just leave it and test the market. MB will need to pay or trade. He should have traded last deadline he's playing with fire right now.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Ideally we trade him for young players on ELC deals. With the constrained cap, ELCs will become more important than they ever were plus the Seattle draft is coming. We could get a return similar to what Paciorretty got. I mean, look at what Rutherford just did lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad