Player Discussion Phillip Danault - The Centermania Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Ya ok...he is much more than a defensive player.

Yeah, he's also a loving husband and father.

Phillip-Danault-wife-child-Marriepierre-edouard.JPG

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
He’s a great person, love the guy, want him on our team, want him in the 3C position. When KK is ready for 2C of course. Suzuki is the 1C.

I'm totally fine with him being 3rd line C if KK/Suzuki develop well. Suzuki right now is certainly making a case for being a potential 1C that is also reliable defensively and clearly superior offensively to Danault.

But to say Danault is only good for being a defensive player is a big stretch. He was over 50 pts last year and on pace for over 50 pts this year with hardly any of that coming from the PP. Sure he gets the best winger, but he's also playing against the other team's best lines, and our "best wingers" aren't exactly Ovechkin-level. I mean, how much better would Tatar and Gallagher be with a "better" center? Is Tatar a player that's supposed to be over 1 PPG? Is Gallagher a 40 goal scorer? I don't think so, so he's not really dragging down anyone while producing steadily himself.

He's a very good ES center all-around, not just defensively. He's just bad on the PP because raw talent isn't what he's good for, so as long as we have others like KK or Suzuki that can do the job there sooner rather than later, all is good. He'll just end up being cheaper than if he could also produce on the PP so we can actually afford him on the 3rd line even though at ES he's certainly worth more than most 3rd liner in the league.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Danault is a great hockey player. I can't repeat this enough.
Great hockey players dont go 9 games with two points and a minus 3.

Rough patch for "60 points pace" Phil.

Who would've thought that he was just really hot and that he'd go back to his normal self ? What a kind of fool would think such things ?

Gallagher goes out and somehow somewhere by some kind of heresy, Danault stops producing. :laugh:

Reactions: Doc McKenna

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
If for whatever reason TT isn't traded I want Zooks centering that line with Gally. Let's see what we have there. Move Phil down where he should be in order to be more effective.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bruins fan here. It's hilarious to me that Julien has already found his new version of Bergeron/Marchand. You look at the possession stats, the zone starts, the PK (at least in terms of Danault), and it's like deja vu. Danualt is the guy you'll constantly be trying to convince other fanbases that he's better than the numbers suggest.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bruins fan here. It's hilarious to me that Julien has already found his new version of Bergeron/Marchand. You look at the possession stats, the zone starts, the PK (at least in terms of Danault), and it's like deja vu. Danualt is the guy you'll constantly be trying to convince other fanbases that he's better than the numbers suggest.
No, hes not. Thats Gallagher.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

You're thinking of Suzuki here.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Phil is not as skilled as Bergeron and, especially, Marchand. But he indeed is underrated.

Can't wait to see what Julien is going to do with Suzuki.

Last edited:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
"Good hands, outstanding skater with exceptional vision and hockey IQ."
"Great hockey player."

I can't believe this guy is only a 50-point player with these qualities.
To add, he's a 50-point player in a chair he wouldn't occupy in normal circumstances (ie. a team with actual C talent). Flip the roles next year with Suzuki and I'm not convinced Danault hits nearly the same totals next to Armia, Domi, Lehkonen etc.

That being said, Poehling has a long way to go before showing he can be a similar option at 3C, let alone superior.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
He works as 3rd line center, in a shut-down role that can sometimes chip in a point. But that's it. He isn't top six materiel on a serious team.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Well it definitely wont be the 7+ million that people here expected. Danault also clearly loves it here and Pageau just got traded so who knows if Danault might take a minor discount.

Maybe, I think he will sign at 6M+. And at this point, I won't even be mad. It's better to give that money to players than free cap space into Molson's pocket.

The team is going nowhere, him getting 6 or 7M won't change much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad