Player Discussion Phillip Danault (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I would think the habs wait on Danault until after the draft. If Price is gone they can rebuild, LTIR Weber, let Danault, Armia, etc. walk, deal for picks and prospects, tank for top picks in the next two drafts.

If Price is back they might as well pay Danault 6 mil per year, sign whoever they can back, hope Weber is back for the playoffs and go with the core.

Danault may well be overrated because of Gallagher and Price, we'll get some idea if he leaves. He may well be underrated because of the lack of transition and speed on D.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Still funny that info got out like what....30 minutes....and all the Engels, Marinaro or Lavoie....guys who never really broke any stories and never been able to predict anything about the Habs...all have suddenly solid infos.

Could be true.....but there's one thing the NHL is doing, they tried to keep everything under wrapped for until tomorrow night. Signing, trades, deals between Seattle and teams. But they all know he won't be back though....

So as with Price....we'll know tomorrow night.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
What's with MB and ultimatums? Is Molson giving him hard limits so he has no choice? Is he just arbitrarily grandstanding? He gave Gallagher and Byron more than he had to, why hard limits for Radulov, Markov, Danault? Too many question marks?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Man, I showed you numbers 100 times already, Danault produces more than enough 5on5 for that type of cash.

He's one of the most productive centers 5on5 during the last 3 seasons so all this offensive blackhole talk is just utter bullshit.
I never uttered the words "offensive blackhole".

And you can post as many stats as you want, a guy with a career high 13 goals and 5 in his contract year, does not deserve 5M+ IN MY OPINIOIN.

If another team is willing to do that...by all means, go get that bag Phil!

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Still funny that info got out like what....30 minutes....and all the Engels, Marinaro or Lavoie....guys who never really broke any stories and never been able to predict anything about the Habs...all have suddenly solid infos.

Could be true.....but there's one thing the NHL is doing, they tried to keep everything under wrapped for until tomorrow night. Signing, trades, deals between Seattle and teams. But they all know he won't be back though....

So as with Price....we'll know tomorrow night.

This is Lavoie’s source:

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
8x 5.8M

For Phil...

tenor.gif

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I never uttered the words "offensive blackhole".

And you can post as many stats as you want, a guy with a career high 13 goals and 5 in his contract year, does not deserve 5M+ IN MY OPINIOIN.

If another team is willing to do that...by all means, go get that bag Phil!
There's more involved in the game than just looking at his goals totals. No one ever claimed he was a goalscorer. That's such a superficial analysis...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There's more involved in the game than just looking at his goals totals. No one ever claimed he was a goalscorer. That's such a superficial analysis...
You're not recognizing the correlation between salary and offensive production.

That's what's really superficial here.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah, his agent will confirmed a contract that he's been asked to keep silent until tomorrow to freaking Renaud Lavoie. Come on. It's like the worst source, of course his agent will deny.

I guess we find out tomorrow. I won’t believe anything this offseason until it’s confirmed.

Last edited:

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
What's with MB and ultimatums? Is Molson giving him hard limits so he has no choice? Is he just arbitrarily grandstanding? He gave Gallagher and Byron more than he had to, why hard limits for Radulov, Markov, Danault? Too many question marks?

He gave a more than fair contract to Danault, but he refused it, he can't do much more, especially since Weber and Price will probably miss the next season, we have no reason to overpay for Danault.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I wonder where it went wrong with the Habs and Danault if he's highly unlikely to be back? Is it because MB just doesn't want to pay what Danault is asking for or does Danault just want to move on from the Habs.

That's pretty clear to me. His clan leaked the info, and that generally doesn't please GMs and management teams. He openly pouted last summer at his press conference about how he was not going to be a strictly defensive guy. He refused a 6 years, 5M per season offer without even giving a counter offer.

So yeah. I try to think of anything Bergevin might have done wrong here, but I can't find any.

Reactions: dinodebino

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
He gave a more than fair contract to Danault, but he refused it, he can't do much more, especially since Weber and Price will probably miss the next season, we have no reason to overpay for Danault.

And he said the same for Radulov... I don't think posing in the media helps his negotiation. I guess it's his way of telling guys to leave.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I wonder where it went wrong with the Habs and Danault if he's highly unlikely to be back? Is it because MB just doesn't want to pay what Danault is asking for or does Danault just want to move on from the Habs.
Disparity between opinions on the player.

Danault thinks he's a top 6 2way C and MB sees him more like a defensive minded 3rd line guy who can ship in offensively in the reg season.

I liked Danault, but I think Suzuki's 2 way ability makes the prospect of acquiring a more offensive C a possibility. And we should.

Reactions: angusyoung

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
And he said the same for Radulov... I don't think posing in the media helps his negotiation. I guess it's his way of telling guys to leave.

Not only was it not the same context but for Radulov and Markov, MB acted like a douche during the press conference with his "I don't expect loyalty from a player, if I want that, I'll buy a dog" "I made them an offer, they take it or leave it, we have money for only one of them, first arrived, first served..."

And the offers he made them were not overpayment, unlike Danault and the 5M/6-year contract

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I believe that we will see MB stay well under the cap this year. If it is indeed his last season as GM, he might not want to make any big moves that handcuff the new guy coming in.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I believe that we will see MB stay well under the cap this year. If it is indeed his last season as GM, he might not want to make any big moves that handcuff the new guy coming in.

If it is his last year they need to hire some potential replacements and let them learn on the job.

Reactions: Habs10Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad