Confirmed Signing with Link: Philip Holm to the Vancouver Canucks (1 year ELC)

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The Leafs have really really good scouting.

& they were interested, so that's good enough for me.

Because I really don't like Benning's scouting ability. So maybe the law of averages are on our side for once, and Benning got lucky

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Sbisa's replacement for what the Canucks mismanagement team expects as a loss when he gets drafted to Vegas.
Tall lean defenceman, hope he skates well.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Babcock doesn't like the players who have low ceiling, look at Corrado. Holm would've ended up in the same boat. Good decision on his part to not sign with Toronto, if Toronto even offered him a contract to begin with.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
A small, inconsequential signing. Whatever, money on the ground. Not like we don't have openings in our system over here.

I wonder if there would be a way to learn how this affects the Leafs...

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Babcock doesn't like the players who have low ceiling, look at Corrado. Holm would've ended up in the same boat. Good decision on his part to not sign with Toronto, if Toronto even offered him a contract to begin with.

I apologize for hijacking this thread, but some so called "leaf fans" are embarassing us.

Hunwick, Polak, Carrick (he only has good skating, low hockey IQ, and he can't snipe corners) played tremendous minutes that would not be afforded to them on a different team. I like what they did for the leafs as stop-gap solutions, but don't make sweeping generalizations like that as there is tremendous evidence that Babcock likes his role players and doesn't limit opportunities based on "ceiling."

As a leafs' fan, this a good signing for the Canucks. From what I heard, he has good skating which should help his transition. Free wallet.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I apologize for hijacking this thread, but some so called "leaf fans" are embarassing us.

Hunwick, Polak, Carrick (he only has good skating, low hockey IQ, and he can't snipe corners) played tremendous minutes that would not be afforded to them on a different team. I like what they did for the leafs as stop-gap solutions, but don't make sweeping generalizations like that as there is tremendous evidence that Babcock likes his role players and doesn't limit opportunities based on "ceiling."

As a leafs' fan, this a good signing for the Canucks. From what I heard, he has good skating which should help his transition. Free wallet.
Well said

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Yup. Nothing to lose signing these guys. At worst all you've lost is a contract spot.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Which is why Holm is the only one who made Sweden for the World Championship.

Borgman was busy winning the championship.
Borgman brings the whole package while Holm tends to make a lot of mistakes. Not suitable for a role on the bottom pairing in my opinion.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
on top of that i actually love everything about the leafs organization, they're being built perfectly and i'm completely envious.

fwiw toronto is also one of my favourite cities to visit.

i could understand why leafs fans are upset though, reminds me of when schultz turned down vancouver to play for the inept oilers (obviously not in terms of player magnitude) vancouver was a top 3 run organization in the league at the time (similar to toronto right now) and edmonton was the worst (similar to vancouver right now) i for the life of me didn't understand why schultz turned down a significantly better city (not the case in this situation), significantly better team and power play time with two top 5 forwards at the time.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Toronto fans have been looking at Holm for a month now.

You're late to the party.

Do some research and you'll see that he's currently better than Rosen and maybe Borgman but he's also older than both. In terms of talent and upside, both Toronto guys are better than Holm. That is likely why Toronto's scouts and management chose them over Holm. We have some of the best scouts in the league, under Shanahan and Lou.

Want me to say all the great talent they missed in 2015 years draft with their second first pick they traded away? I mean, the best talent scouts would never missed that???

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Borgman was busy winning the championship.
Borgman brings the whole package while Holm tends to make a lot of mistakes. Not suitable for a role on the bottom pairing in my opinion.

Right. Not that they ended before the WC started or anything.

But of course, if a player doesn't go to Toronto it's because they weren't interested.

Last edited:

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017

Carrick is much younger than Holm, had shown fantastic offense at AHL level and the others were filling the veteran roles for now since we don't have any. Any way I don't know if he is that great, but if he is good for Canucks.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Good signing for sure.

Will be interesting to see how all of the Swedish FAs perform this year coming over.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Somehow another Vancouver Canucks thread that has been over run with Leaf fans. Appreciation to the Leaf fans in this thread that recognize this. To the others. Grow up. You don't have to bash everything Vancouver. You have a good team now. No need to relentlessly attack the Canucks.

As for the signing. What is not too like. Cost nothing but money, which is not ours, and a contract spot. Upside is an NHL d-man. Downside is it could another Larsen signing. Certainly worth the risk on an entry level contract.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
No risk signing, not sure why there is so much vitriol in this thread about a small signing out of Europe that is no risk, possible reward, who cares?

Last edited by a moderator:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wasn't aware that a guy who's 25 could even sign a one-year, entry-level contract...absolutely 'zero' risk for the Cancucks...he can even be sent to the minors without clearing waivers....maybe that's why the Leafs and Hawks were both in on him....and agree with other posters on this board....if he'd signed with either of those other teams, the 'positive spin' would be a lot different.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
(EDIT, Not about holm)

And as for Phillip Holm, The guy was heavily scouted by the leafs and Chicago, holm chose vancouver, He said so in his interview today on tsn1040.

From his words himself:

So yes leafs fans, he chose vancouver (and a opportunity to have a better chance being in the NHL with a worse roster) over Toronto and chicago.

The Leafs were actually interested in his teammate, Calle Rosen. The one article linking Holm to the Leafs was a mistake on the part of the writer. He meant to say Rosen, but said Holm and that's where the rumour comes from.

Some Swedes on Reddit confirmed that it was a mistake on the writers part. And since I can't read Swedish, I'll go with what they said.

As for arguing who's better, do people really not have anything better to do? No one here (aside from Swedish posters) has ever watched these guys. I swear the amount of people on this board that pretend to watch every player is pathetic.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I hope all 3 players turn out great, its a win win

Yeah me too Im a Canucks fan first and a Leafs fan third so yeah i hope all three become what there teams need them to be

Anyways hopefully this guy can push gudbranson out of the lineup

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
good signing..he'll definitely have a chance to crack the team out of camp next year.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
My understanding he is Tanev lite?

Smooth skating, calm, but not much offense. Doesn't try to play out of his weight class and does things simple.

If he's a cerebral player, I think that bodes well for his late development.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad