Confirmed Signing with Link: Philip Holm to the Vancouver Canucks (1 year ELC)

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/canucks-sign-philip-holm/c-289627122

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed defenceman Philip Holm to a one-year, entry-level contract. The 6'1", 190-pound defenceman most recently represented Sweden on the international stage at the 2017 World Championship, helping to earn gold for his home country.

The terms were not disclosed in the signing.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I remember hearing on the Toronto radio that he's better then the two d-men Toronto just got from Sweden, and he's a more mature defender then Calle Rosen.

I can't verify how accurate this is.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Sounds like a promising late bloomer.

Says a lot when you're the 1 Dman outside of the NHL that made the gold medal winning sweedish team.

Edler Klingberg Hedman OEL Brodin Stralman Holm

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The Maple Leafs chose his teammate over him.

The Maple Leafs also chose another Swedish defenceman over him.

Both Calle Rosen and Andreas Borgman are younger and better than Holm.

Can you give a scouting report on all 3, since you must have spent a lot of time watching them all to make such a bold claim?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Can you give a scouting report on all 3, since you must have spent a lot of time watching them all to make such a bold claim?

Toronto fans have been looking at Holm for a month now.

You're late to the party.

Do some research and you'll see that he's currently better than Rosen and maybe Borgman but he's also older than both. In terms of talent and upside, both Toronto guys are better than Holm. That is likely why Toronto's scouts and management chose them over Holm. We have some of the best scouts in the league, under Shanahan and Lou.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Maple Leafs chose his teammate over him.

The Maple Leafs also chose another Swedish defenceman over him.

Both Calle Rosen and Andreas Borgman are younger and better than Holm.

It takes 2 sides to sign a contract. Maybe Holm said no to Toronto.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yes, he said no to Toronto to go to Vancouver.

:laugh:

He said yes to Jim Benning and no to Lou Lamoriello.

23 vs 25 is not much different when you consider pro career, and the other guy is 21 so if he's coming over he's starting on the farm. This is a case of two guys being signed to play on the farm team vs a guy signed for a shot on the pro team. I mean really there's a massive enough gap already between the Canucks and the Leafs, you can't let us have this one minor win? :laugh:

For a guy who's 25 having a better chance to jump straight to the pro team probably plays a good factor.

Cunuck

Jun 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yes, he said no to Toronto to go to Vancouver.

:laugh:

He said yes to Jim Benning and no to Lou Lamoriello.

He said yes to a much bigger probability of starting on the pro team. And in terms of your claim of Rosen and Borgman being better - I've seen neither of them play so I'd love to hear what you think their scouting report/ceiling looks like in comparison to Holm.

Last edited:

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
Holm is a good SHL defenseman, but I don't think his ceiling is much higher than what he's shown. He doesn't have the smarts. Well worth a shot though.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
Where will this guy play on the Nucks? Is he expected to slide in the top 6 or is he going to be sitting in the press box waiting for injuries?

Sounds like a warm body to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cunuck

Jun 12, 2010
Vancouver
Where will this guy play on the Nucks? Is he expected to slide in the top 6 or is he going to be sitting in the press box waiting for injuries?

Sounds like a warm body to me.

Depending on his camp, he could definitely slide into the Top 6. Could see:

Hutton-Tanev
Edler-Stecher
Holm-Gudbranson
Sbisa

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
(EDIT, Not about holm)

And as for Phillip Holm, The guy was heavily scouted by the leafs and Chicago, holm chose vancouver, He said so in his interview today on tsn1040.

From his words himself:
Holm: It just felt good from the start. When I talked to the coach, they're building something new. My gut told me Vancouver

So yes leafs fans, he chose vancouver (and a opportunity to have a better chance being in the NHL with a worse roster) over Toronto and chicago.

Last edited:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
he looks like a decent player. I hope he does well.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad