OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Training Camp Is Soon, Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Would Houston do a Hurts, Dillard, Barnett +1st rd pick for Deshaun. Blockbuster player for player trade..... rarely happen but it would fill a number of holes on their team and get them a 1st for next season

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Would Houston do a Hurts, Dillard, Barnett +1st rd pick for Deshaun. Blockbuster player for player trade..... rarely happen but it would fill a number of holes on their team and get them a 1st for next season

Probably not, but they should consider it

I'd do it only because we can spare Barnett, Hurts would be unnecessary, and Dillard still may be #2 in line behind Maliata based on how well Jordan did last year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lurie wouldn't touch Watson, the fallout would be unbearable.

Great sounding deal, but I doubt Houston would be interested, they have a pro bowl LT and a 1st rd pick at RT. So no Dillard.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
As NFL training camps inch closer, vaccination rates across the league continue to vary.
Ten teams have reached the NFL's 85 percent threshold of vaccinated players, but four teams aren't even close to the threshold.
According to a report, the Washington Football Team, Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals and Los Angeles Chargers have the lowest vaccination rates in the league. All four have fewer than 50 of their players vaccinated.

Wow. Not even 50%?

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
As NFL training camps inch closer, vaccination rates across the league continue to vary.
Ten teams have reached the NFL's 85 percent threshold of vaccinated players, but four teams aren't even close to the threshold.
According to a report, the Washington Football Team, Indianapolis Colts, Arizona Cardinals and Los Angeles Chargers have the lowest vaccination rates in the league. All four have fewer than 50 of their players vaccinated.

Wow. Not even 50%?

Considering the restrictions the NFL/NFLPA put on the players for this upcoming year, I'm stunned players don't get the vaccine purely because it'll make their lives significantly inconvenient and disrupt the team dynamic.

For any of you betters out there, I wouldn't count on any of the lowly vaccinated teams winning a title of significance next year. They have to workout separately, can't socialize together, etc. if they aren't vaccinated.

Reactions: Flybynite

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@Chinatown88 Give a listen to the latest episode of Mina Kimes' podcast. I didn't listen to the second guest, but I sought this one out because Coach Vass was on first. He does a phenomenal job of explaining some of the technical aspects of defense in simple terms. In this one in particular, the general concepts he's explaining basically tell you how the Eagles had fallen behind the times defensively.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
@Chinatown88 Give a listen to the latest episode of Mina Kimes' podcast. I didn't listen to the second guest, but I sought this one out because Coach Vass was on first. He does a phenomenal job of explaining some of the technical aspects of defense in simple terms. In this one in particular, the general concepts he's explaining basically tell you how the Eagles had fallen behind the times defensively.
Man why you gotta remind me cute chick who is into sports exists. I'll never find one of those.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
There's always Mia Khalifa
giphy.gif

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
That's brilliant. And he's right.

I wouldn't put money for any team with low vaccination rates to win anything this year.

The COVID restrictions for unvaccinated players just separates the team and it's going to make everything more difficult for those squads.

Sorry, Justin Herbert. Your Chargers hate science.

Following up on my own post...

Over 70% of NFL players have gotten the vaccine - that's a good start. Higher than national average of course (but I think it should be about 98% so I'm not going to pat them on the back yet).

Most vaccinated teams are Pittsburgh, Miami, Carolina, and Denver.
Least vaccinated teams (below 50% of players) are Washington (alleluia) and Carson Wentz' Colts.

NFL teams to find ways to identify vaccinated members, Panthers among those with highest vax rates

The NFL and NFLPA updated protocols to loosen restrictions for fully vaccinated players and to encourage others to get the vaccine. Unvaccinated players must continue to get daily testing, wear masks and practice physical distancing — they will not be allowed to eat with teammates, will not be allowed to participate in media or marketing activities while traveling, will not be permitted to use the sauna or steam room and may not leave the team hotel or interact with people outside the team while traveling, the outlet reports. Vaccinated players will not have any of those restrictions.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Probably not, but they should consider it

I'd do it only because we can spare Barnett, Hurts would be unnecessary, and Dillard still may be #2 in line behind Maliata based on how well Jordan did last year.

To make sure I'm understanding correctly, are you saying that "you'd only do it..." because of the allegations of because of the value? Because the value is a runaway for the Eagles taking a top 5 QB in his early/mid 20s, under contract, for one decent starter and two likely career backups plus one 1st round pick.

I'm just unclear on if you're saying you think that's a big price to pay or if you're saying that you don't think Hurts is going to be the guy and Barnett/Dillard will be inconsequential in the Eagles future, so it's a small price to pay for the risk that Watson carries with the allegations against him.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
To make sure I'm understanding correctly, are you saying that "you'd only do it..." because of the allegations of because of the value? Because the value is a runaway for the Eagles taking a top 5 QB in his early/mid 20s, under contract, for one decent starter and two likely career backups plus one 1st round pick.

I'm just unclear on if you're saying you think that's a big price to pay or if you're saying that you don't think Hurts is going to be the guy and Barnett/Dillard will be inconsequential in the Eagles future, so it's a small price to pay for the risk that Watson carries with the allegations against him.

Just to be clear: I don't actually want Deshaun Watson because of the allegations.

I'm only entertaining this trade proposal if he's cleared of everything - and even that's a stretch for me to still entertain Watson.

If the allegations never existed though, it's a homerun for the Birds like you said. I think Watson's value took a big hit regardless of the allegations. I still can't imagine this being the right org for him considering how he was annoyed management in HOU wanted to make moves without his permission. Can you imagine Howie and Lurie checking in with any QB to make a move at this point? And why should they?

I think we're a terrible marriage, even if Deshaun's talent instantly would make us a contender.

Reactions: Les Averman

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

People laughed at me when I said Schwartz was mailing it in, but when he didn't get another HC job after the SB, I think he just stopped caring. And it wasn't like he was hiring all those dynamic assistants to help him stay current.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
People laughed at me when I said Schwartz was mailing it in, but when he didn't get another HC job after the SB, I think he just stopped caring. And it wasn't like he was hiring all those dynamic assistants to help him stay current.

I attempt to avoid getting into people's heads like that whenever possible, but I will say that there was one moment in particular where I wondered if his attention to detail had slipped. This is Claypool's 4th TD in the Steelers game last year.

image.png

Claypool's the inside receiver on the near side of the field. They give up a TD and the game's over. Neither Safety has MOF responsibility. That's Nate Gerry on an island.

For all of the complaints about Gerry, the only possible outcome here was him getting burned. That's on the staff. Even an idiot like me knows you have to take the TO there because there are 2 or 3 LBs on the planet who have a prayer of covering an uber athletic NFL WR 1v1 in space after giving him a free release off the line.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I attempt to avoid getting into people's heads like that whenever possible, but I will say that there was one moment in particular where I wondered if his attention to detail had slipped. This is Claypool's 4th TD in the Steelers game last year.

image.png

Claypool's the inside receiver on the near side of the field. They give up a TD and the game's over. Neither Safety has MOF responsibility. That's Nate Gerry on an island.

For all of the complaints about Gerry, the only possible outcome here was him getting burned. That's on the staff. Even an idiot like me knows you have to take the TO there because there are 2 or 3 LBs on the planet who have a prayer of covering an uber athletic NFL WR 1v1 in space after giving him a free release off the line.
My biggest takeaways from that podcast Jojo.

1) I need to be watching Division III football.
2) Andy Reid is a mad genius.
3) Defenses probably won't catch up if they don't actually want to talk to college defensive coordinators on plan of attacks.
4) Trickle up defensive plans/schemes from college.
5) It's turned into a crazy chess game on defense that apparently goes against the normal habits and I guess coaches are having a hard time adjusting.
6) Don't pay for a high end EDGE
7) I'll never find a Mina Kimes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

That's pretty egregious, but how about those huge cushions given up by CBs, the lack of deep help for inexerienced CBs left on an island, etc., etc.

I'm interested in seeing how similar personnel look with Gannon, Indy didn't have a lot of talent in their secondary (their one high draft pick was injured, Rhodes was a salvage job) and our DL probably will get more pressure.

Sometimes the best defensive coaching is not building a top unit, but taking below average talent and molding them into an average to above average defense.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
My biggest takeaways from that podcast Jojo.

1) I need to be watching Division III football.
2) Andy Reid is a mad genius.
3) Defenses probably won't catch up if they don't actually want to talk to college defensive coordinators on plan of attacks.
4) Trickle up defensive plans/schemes from college.
5) It's turned into a crazy chess game on defense that apparently goes against the normal habits and I guess coaches are having a hard time adjusting.
6) Don't pay for a high end EDGE
7) I'll never find a Mina Kimes.

So much of this is why PFF always says the NFL has turned into a league designed to make Linebackers do incorrect things. Because you can't evaluate them well from broadcast angles and the demands of the position have changed so much in the last 5-10 years, we get people insisting someone like Devin White is great because of splash plays.

It's also why you see big-name pass rushers moved around so much. You can't just put someone on an edge and expect them to win enough to maximize their talents anymore. Schemes are too good for that. I'm so glad he mentioned Dont'a Hightower not only because I think he's criminally underrated, but because he's the perfect illustration of Belichick's versatility. One of their most valuable players is an ILB who rushes the passer and can't cover very well. It feels impossible.

Reactions: Chinatown88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad