Other Sports: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Super Bowl LVIII (Barf!) and Beyond!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If he takes a CB in the 1st I'll be absolutely shocked. Would prefer

1A) Mims at 22
1B) Trade down and take Kingsley #TeamTradeDown
2) Take a 1st round WR

I think Corner is on the table. They've traded for and paid the position. I agree that OL is more likely. But I could see it if they like the Corner enough. Not a Safety though.

Fautanu makes sense, just like Mims and Fashanu and Suimataia. I've seen some people saying Fuaga. That's not a scheme fit at all to me. Then there's Latham. I don't think he's a perfect fit for what they want outside, but I do think they could see him as having meaningful Tackle/Guard versatility. Or it's possible that the Steen pick has gotten to my head because I did not see that coming.

Tyler Guyton also makes sense, but that's the one I personally don't want. I'm not the biggest Jordan Morgan guy, but I get it there. I don't understand what makes Guyton a significantly better bet than guys like Suimataia, Amegadjie, Puni (even if you kick him inside), and Rosengarten.

Reactions: FLYguy3911

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I think Corner is on the table. They've traded for and paid the position. I agree that OL is more likely. But I could see it if they like the Corner enough. Not a Safety though.

Fautanu makes sense, just like Mims and Fashanu and Suimataia. I've seen some people saying Fuaga. That's not a scheme fit at all to me. Then there's Latham. I don't think he's a perfect fit for what they want outside, but I do think they could see him as having meaningful Tackle/Guard versatility. Or it's possible that the Steen pick has gotten to my head because I did not see that coming.

Tyler Guyton also makes sense, but that's the one I personally don't want. I'm not the biggest Jordan Morgan guy, but I get it there. I don't understand what makes Guyton a significantly better bet than guys like Suimataia, Amegadjie, Puni (even if you kick him inside), and Rosengarten.
I'll believe it when I see it. Technically I could've seen it but I was 10 at the time and didn't get football. If he does it I'll eat 20 frozen gyoza in a sitting.

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I'm still not writing off Byron Murphy and Johnny Newton. Boy, are people going to be pissed if that happens.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
The Jets essentially made this man their GM

It's true though. I read it in a fortune cookie.

I'm still not writing off Byron Murphy and Johnny Newton. Boy, are people going to be pissed if that happens.

Normally I think WIP is hot take city for the sake of content, but they've been making a point recently that I'm curious of of your thoughts on regarding OL.

The thinking is that, outside of Lane, the rest of them have been later round picks. Some very late like Kelce and Mailata. So why not try to find a raw athletic freak in later rounds, and let Stoutland do what he does?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The thinking is that, outside of Lane, the rest of them have been later round picks. Some very late like Kelce and Mailata. So why not try to find a raw athletic freak in later rounds, and let Stoutland do what he does?
In theory yes and I have been critical of them drafting IOL early, but if he's that good at developing talent, you could argue - what if you gave him a guy with athleticism and polish and present skills?

Not to be captain obvious but Kelce and Mailata are unique situations. Mailata literally never played a game of organized football. That's like a less than 1% outcome. And Kelce got drafted in the crossover era where there were a lot of old school philosophies still in the game. Teams just would not draft 280 pound lineman even if they were arguably the most athletic to come into the league. Teams value OL athleticism more than ever, so any guy with halfway decent football ability will go fairly high which leaves you with true projects and you still need OL depth on gameday.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He's a total nut job at this point for me.

Dude blames the media for painting him a way but constantly is spouting wild stuff on podcasts. How can anyone look at this dude's priorities and feel confident going into the season (specifically if you're a Jets fan)?

He exploded his leg because his off-season training regime was sitting in darkness

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Normally I think WIP is hot take city for the sake of content, but they've been making a point recently that I'm curious of of your thoughts on regarding OL.

Yes, picking later round athletes is a good strategy with what the Eagles ask their linemen to do. No, they should not wait until the late rounds at all. It should be a supplement to meaningful investment. Kelce was indeed a super late pick, but the league has caught up a bit on many of the reasons he lasted that long. The league as a whole invests way more in Interior OL than they did in 2011. He also had his best seasons in the latter half of his career, which makes all comparisons tough because that never happens.

Mailata was a once in a lifetime hit in the 7th round. I would push back on all conclusions about overarching strategy that stem from that pick. Jurgens was 51st. That's still a valuable pick, especially at a position that doesn't even get one guy into the 1st round in every draft. Dickerson was a 1st round talent in every draft that fell due to serious injury concerns. Steen went 65th. Still a relatively premium pick.

What you get most of the time when you hit on a guy in the later rounds is Jack Driscoll. I loved that pick. I still love Driscoll. But he's a guy who comes off of the bench and plays multiple positions just well enough that he doesn't make your offense implode by himself. That's a good OL piece to have and a very good outcome for Pick 145.

To steal a Bo Wulf talking point, as much as I love Jeff Stoutland, it's kind of weird how no one credits Mailata for improving himself. It wasn't all coaching.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

Philadelphia Eagles
1 (22). Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 (50). Junior Colson, LB, Michigan
2 (53). Javon Bullard, S, Georgia
4 (120). Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington
5 (161). Xavier Thomas, Edge, Clemson
5 (171). M.J. Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh
5 (172). Gottlieb Ayedze, G, Maryland
6 (210). Ryan Flournoy, WR, SE Missouri State

of course it's behind a paywall lol

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
of course it's behind a paywall lol
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (26). Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson
2 (57). Christian Haynes, G, UConn
3 (89). Austin Booker, Edge, Kansas
3 (92). Trevin Wallace, LB, Kentucky
4 (125). Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame
6 (220). Cornelius Johnson, WR, Michigan
7 (246). Trey Taylor, S, Air Force

That's a haul

• Love
Reactions: trostol

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (26). Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson
2 (57). Christian Haynes, G, UConn
3 (89). Austin Booker, Edge, Kansas
3 (92). Trevin Wallace, LB, Kentucky
4 (125). Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame
6 (220). Cornelius Johnson, WR, Michigan
7 (246). Trey Taylor, S, Air Force

That's a haul
thank you sir

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

I hope it's this version.

5ea397064bca633d4a6b4a64

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina

Philadelphia Eagles
1 (22). Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia
2 (50). Junior Colson, LB, Michigan
2 (53). Javon Bullard, S, Georgia
4 (120). Jalen McMillan, WR, Washington
5 (161). Xavier Thomas, Edge, Clemson
5 (171). M.J. Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh
5 (172). Gottlieb Ayedze, G, Maryland
6 (210). Ryan Flournoy, WR, SE Missouri State

*cough* Carolina please *cough*

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
In theory yes and I have been critical of them drafting IOL early, but if he's that good at developing talent, you could argue - what if you gave him a guy with athleticism and polish and present skills?

Not to be captain obvious but Kelce and Mailata are unique situations. Mailata literally never played a game of organized football. That's like a less than 1% outcome. And Kelce got drafted in the crossover era where there were a lot of old school philosophies still in the game. Teams just would not draft 280 pound lineman even if they were arguably the most athletic to come into the league. Teams value OL athleticism more than ever, so any guy with halfway decent football ability will go fairly high which leaves you with true projects and you still need OL depth on gameday.

Yes, picking later round athletes is a good strategy with what the Eagles ask their linemen to do. No, they should not wait until the late rounds at all. It should be a supplement to meaningful investment. Kelce was indeed a super late pick, but the league has caught up a bit on many of the reasons he lasted that long. The league as a whole invests way more in Interior OL than they did in 2011. He also had his best seasons in the latter half of his career, which makes all comparisons tough because that never happens.

Mailata was a once in a lifetime hit in the 7th round. I would push back on all conclusions about overarching strategy that stem from that pick. Jurgens was 51st. That's still a valuable pick, especially at a position that doesn't even get one guy into the 1st round in every draft. Dickerson was a 1st round talent in every draft that fell due to serious injury concerns. Steen went 65th. Still a relatively premium pick.

What you get most of the time when you hit on a guy in the later rounds is Jack Driscoll. I loved that pick. I still love Driscoll. But he's a guy who comes off of the bench and plays multiple positions just well enough that he doesn't make your offense implode by himself. That's a good OL piece to have and a very good outcome for Pick 145.

To steal a Bo Wulf talking point, as much as I love Jeff Stoutland, it's kind of weird how no one credits Mailata for improving himself. It wasn't all coaching.

Thanks as always. I still want DeJean because, shiny. And I do think it's more of a need right now, assuming Jurgens can play. All excellent points though. Cheers

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
He's a total nut job at this point for me.

Dude blames the media for painting him a way but constantly is spouting wild stuff on podcasts. How can anyone look at this dude's priorities and feel confident going into the season (specifically if you're a Jets fan)?

Jets fans think they are winning the Super bowl every year aha

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad