OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Onseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
His doctors have only cleared him to play in dope youtube videos and savagely defend the rim against little kids.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Has Embiid been cleared to play 5 on 5 yet

Technically no.

But what 5 on 5 would he have played in that the Sixers would want him too?

They wouldn't want him to play overseas in that basketball without borders thing, so in that case, don't clear him and he can't play.

They'll probably wait as long as possible to clear him.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Well Luka Doncic looks like he is still in the lead for #1 overall next year....dude is a gamer. Would be amazing if somehow we lucked out and the pick we gave the Celtics becomes #1. Our pick should not be a lottery pick this year if we make the playoffs. Obviously, the Cavs are banking on that Nets pick from the Celtics..especially if LeBron leaves

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Well Luka Doncic looks like he is still in the lead for #1 overall next year....dude is a gamer. Would be amazing if somehow we lucked out and the pick we gave the Celtics becomes #1. Our pick should not be a lottery pick this year if we make the playoffs. Obviously, the Cavs are banking on that Nets pick from the Celtics..especially if LeBron leaves

Would be interesting to see a white Euro wing/guard go first overall for sure.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Sad....Sunk cost...

Hopefully he can showcase himself well enough where we can get something decent for him..

Jahlil Okafor’s days as a 76er have been numbered since his rookie season, so it’s not surprising that the Sixers talk openly about their intent to resume trade decisions involving the third-year veteran.

“Bryan’s going to do his job,†coach Brett Brown said of team president Bryan Colangelo, who is looking for a trade partner. “I’m going to coach him, and we are going to see what goes on with the rest of the league in relation to whatever else is out there.

“But I’m coaching him like he’s mine.â€

He’ll continue to do that until the 21-year-old is no longer on the roster.

“I am excited to coach him until somebody tells me that I’m not,†Brown said.

Okafor will get “every opportunity to earn playing time,†Brown said. Right now, Okafor is competing with Richaun Holmes and free-agent signee Amir Johnson for the backup center position.

Joel Embiid, the standout starter, has not been cleared for 5-on-5 scrimmages with training camp starting Tuesday. The Sixers said there was no timetable for his return. As a result, expect Okafor, if healthy, to get a lot of playing time in the preseason to showcase his skills to potential trading partners.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...yan-colangelo-trade-possibility-20170921.html

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I think Okafor is a legit NBA center, hopefully he finds a good fit somewhere. At this point I don't much care what they get for him, a 2nd round pick? That would be fine with me.

On another note, this is an unusually positive (for Philly media) piece on Simmons:

In Simmons, Sixers sound like they have something special brewing

I think Simmons even more than Embiid is the key to the Sixers future. He's going to drive the offense and with his athleticism on defense and rebounding he can be an impact player all over the floor.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think Okafor is a legit NBA center, hopefully he finds a good fit somewhere. At this point I don't much care what they get for him, a 2nd round pick? That would be fine with me.

On another note, this is an unusually positive (for Philly media) piece on Simmons:

In Simmons, Sixers sound like they have something special brewing

I think Simmons even more than Embiid is the key to the Sixers future. He's going to drive the offense and with his athleticism on defense and rebounding he can be an impact player all over the floor.

He is a agreat athlete, he is agreat ball handler and facilitator, but if he doesn't develop a half court game , then we have a better ballhandling, worst defending iggy.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's a pretty terrible opinion.

really? did you watch him at lsu? Yeah a 6'10 freak with ballhandling abilities got to the rim at will, couldn't finish with both hands and teams played off him about 5 feet. Unless this guy is the 2nd coming of charles barkley, i have a hard time seeing him being a guy that is an efficient scorer.

Did you watch him in summer league? He did not score. He averaged like 8 pts a game.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
really? did you watch him at lsu? Yeah a 6'10 freak with ballhandling abilities got to the rim at will, couldn't finish with both hands and teams played off him about 5 feet. Unless this guy is the 2nd coming of charles barkley, i have a hard time seeing him being a guy that is an efficient scorer.

Did you watch him in summer league? He did not score. He averaged like 8 pts a game.

Summer league is a joke, but lebron was the exact same way

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Summer league is a joke, but lebron was the exact same way

If you want to make the lebron comparison , i will give you a comparison from the opposite spectrum.

Michael Beasley. Beasley dominated in college. 25-12 shot great from 3, and got to the line. Comes to the nba where he can't get by on his athletic gifts and struggles to play the game. Is not 4 , and can't stretch the d to be a 3. he did not fit in with the nba .

What happens to simmonds if he is not a good scorer?
Why is everyone so convinced he will be an effective scorer i the nba?

Can someone please answer these 2 questions for me?

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Because Simmons is a PG. He's going to be surrounded by Shooters/Scorers.

Quite frankly Simmons is going to have the ball so much as long as he's aggressive he shouldn't have any problems getting to the rim/line.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you want to make the lebron comparison , i will give you a comparison from the opposite spectrum.

Michael Beasley. Beasley dominated in college. 25-12 shot great from 3, and got to the line. Comes to the nba where he can't get by on his athletic gifts and struggles to play the game. Is not 4 , and can't stretch the d to be a 3. he did not fit in with the nba .

I'm not at all convinced Simmons will be a great scorer, but I don't understand why you're comping a bedknob to a broomstick. You're picking a guy who only has to be a functional scorer to be great and comparing him to a guy whose primary value was putting up points.

First and foremost, Beasley was a ball stopper who could shoot pretty well for a 4. Beasley was undersized in a league that was far more about size and nastiness than it is today who, while a good athlete, was much less so than you might think off the hop and who lacked the awareness necessary for NBA defense. This is partially how he lost the ability to rebound up a level, as he was consistently out of position.

He was also a terrible distributor who didn't have and didn't care about acquiring the polish necessary to draw a double in the post. Hell, one of his biggest weaknesses in the NBA was how often he would take a pull up after penetrating, but he was actually pretty productive off the dribble going left early in his career even though it was common knowledge he couldn't go to his right.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I'm not at all convinced Simmons will be a great scorer, but I don't understand why you're comping a bedknob to a broomstick. You're picking a guy who only has to be a functional scorer to be great and comparing him to a guy whose primary value was putting up points.

First and foremost, Beasley was a ball stopper who could shoot pretty well for a 4. Beasley was undersized in a league that was far more about size and nastiness than it is today who, while a good athlete, was much less so than you might think off the hop and who lacked the awareness necessary for NBA defense. This is partially how he lost the ability to rebound up a level, as he was consistently out of position.

He was also a terrible distributor who didn't have and didn't care about acquiring the polish necessary to draw a double in the post. Hell, one of his biggest weaknesses in the NBA was how often he would take a pull up after penetrating, but he was actually pretty productive off the dribble going left early in his career even though it was common knowledge he couldn't go to his right.

All of your points on beasley could be applied to Simmons.

First lets establish what truly great players in the nba can't score? 2nd The only way simmons can score you will be taking out of his game by having him run point guard.

The sixers have a real problem with scoring the ball, the hardest and most desirable skill in the game. Simmons does not score and he does not stretch the d. That does not bode well for today's game. I pray he develps a shot. If he does it could be a game changer, if he doesnt he could be kidd gilchrist 2.0.

you want him to play point? Well guess what he still doesn't open up the floor. Let's take a look at the successful teams of this era. All have 4 players in the lineup who can hit 3's. That might work for us if embiid is hitting 3's but do you really want your 7 foot center out on the perimeter all the time?

Simmons is an odd fit, and i don't know how it will work. he has superstar potential if he can become an elite half court scorer.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
No, you can't use all of those arguments about Simmons. He's about the polar opposite of Michael Beasley as a prospect. Simmons is in no way undersized, has A+++ basketball instincts, doesn't shoot, and is the furthest thing from a ball stopper humanly possible. They both gave questionable effort defensively. Other than that, it makes not one wit of sense. It reminds me of the people who were comping Fultz to "Wade with a jumper" pre-draft in that it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what each do on the court.

Simmons eventually needs a functional (not fantastic) jumper on a decent number of shots or his ceiling is capped, no doubt about it. If you just leave it at that, I'm totally on board. There's no need to bring these comps in that make absolutely no sense.

Phillyfan28

Jun 3, 2013

Beasley v Simmons comp seems pretty off, coming from a casual fan. Different body types, but more importantly vastly different playing styles and further, strengths/weaknesses. While I would be weary of the Lebron comparison, it seems to be slightly more viable based on athleticism for athletes of that size. Both need to develop jumpers coming into the NBA, but it appears Simmons passing ability is far ahead LBJs at that time (maybe even today) but Simmons's shot is far more broken and needing work. Just my .02 though, can't wait to see him play. I remember the feeling when I heard he got hurt last year...

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Beasley v Simmons comp seems pretty off, coming from a casual fan. Different body types, but more importantly vastly different playing styles and further, strengths/weaknesses. While I would be weary of the Lebron comparison, it seems to be slightly more viable based on athleticism for athletes of that size. Both need to develop jumpers coming into the NBA, but it appears Simmons passing ability is far ahead LBJs at that time (maybe even today) but Simmons's shot is far more broken and needing work. Just my .02 though, can't wait to see him play. I remember the feeling when I heard he got hurt last year...

notice how i said " a comparison from the opposite spectrum?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So it looks more and more like the Sixers have a porcelain doll in Embiid. Reminds me of the Lindros days. Seems they are pumping Simmons up a lot to distract from Embiid. I mean still not cleared for 5 on 5! C'mon already...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad