Claimed off Waivers: [PHI] Zack MacEwen claimed off waivers by the Flyers from the Canucks

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Philly should like his skillset for when comes into the lineup for a bunch of games he brings some nice energy in limited minutes.

Vancouver values age, and rustiness which is why we still suck

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
6CACD7DC-A05E-4272-BBB5-5277EE8D96C3.gif

My Philly friends, you’re going to love Zach. I really hope your coaching staff handle him better than the Canucks did. Hits anything in sight, doesn’t take stupid penalties and will take on anyone to defend a teammate
18846245-E4B6-4531-91FE-A4CAEF17C082.jpeg

Also has some skill as well when given the chance. An ideal 4th liner imho. Best of luck to him.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
View attachment 470112

My Philly friends, you’re going to love Zach. I really hope your coaching staff handle him better than the Canucks did. Hits anything in sight, doesn’t take stupid penalties and will take on anyone to defend a teammate
View attachment 470113
Also has some skill as well when given the chance. An ideal 4th liner imho. Best of luck to him.

maxresdefault.jpg

Meh. McEwen is awful.

Reactions: hockeyarena

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Who gets bumped off Philly's roster?
PHI has the roster and cap space to carry him, but as for the game roster, I guess he would rotate through with Thompson and Brown? Idk Philly's roster too well, but I was wondering the same thing after seeing them pick up two forwards off of waivers, back to back

Reactions: BernieParent

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Man it's tough being a Canuck fan right now

Congrats Philly.............we have dumb management and this is what happens when you protect AHL plugs who had decent camps and would have easily gone up and down as needed.

Reactions: BernieParent

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
2 seasons ago, McEwen looked like an up and coming bottom 6 player that would be on the team for years to come. Last season he struggled, and this pre-season continued that trend. Certainly some potential, but I'm mildly surprised to see him get claimed.

Reactions: CanuckCity

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
PHI has the roster and cap space to carry him, but as for the game roster, I guess he would rotate through with Thompson and Brown? Idk Philly's roster too well, but I was wondering the same thing after seeing them pick up two forwards off of waivers, back to back
ya that's pretty much how it will go until our injured players come back. Thompson, brown, and mcewan will probably swap in and out...maybe even nak. Hayes also goes to LTIR now

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
ya that's pretty much how it will go until our injured players come back. Thompson, brown, and mcewan will probably swap in and out...maybe even nak. Hayes also goes to LTIR now
There could be some decent players on waivers in the coming month as players come back from injury and COVID protocol to replenish the players the Canucks lost (they're carrying a number of journeymen that have negligible waivers risk on the roster currently)

Reactions: flyerslducks

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Right now the have 13 healthy forwards with Hayes on LTIR (out until at least November 10th).

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
Farabee-Brassard-Atkinson
Lindblom-Laughton-JVR
Aube-Kubel-Thompson-Brown/McEwen

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Ehh, I'm not really that high on Mac. His max upside is a physical 4th liner who's willing to drop the gloves.

His lack of explosiveness limits his forechecking and defensive value, which removes a lot of utility that you'd want from a 4th liner. He doesn't have the hockey IQ or processing speed to really be an offensive player or defensive player (loses coverage often). His straight-line speed is okay and he has decent hands for a big man, so he can make a play on the rush or if he has time and space, but you can say the same for umpteen fringe NHLers.

The waiver claim is really emblematic of the bigger story of Benning's (lack of) asset management ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad