Confirmed with Link: (PHI/STL) Kevin Hayes (50%) to STL for a 2024 6th round pick

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Orielly will be 36 as his contract is ending. Hayes will still be 33 during his final season. Big difference in age. We all love ROR but we might have stepped out of the way of that one.

That's a little disingenuous. O'Reilly is a year and a few months older than Hayes. Add the extra year on the contract and it is 2 years and a few months difference. Not 3 full years like you imply. Hayes would be 34 before the end of the playoffs.

I guarantee O'Reilly takes care of himself better than Hayes, He;s a vegan that is very selective about what he eats and he is a gym rat. I don't know how well Hayes takes care of himself, but he has been criticized by his coach for his for his work ethic at least once in the past.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Who is getting pissed? I am the only one against it, and I am far from pissed.
You another poster dropped two f bombs in 4 sentences describing your their feelings. That's like the universal way to convey "I'm pissed" in writing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Blueston

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You dropped two f bombs in 4 sentences describing your feelings. That's like the universal way to convey "I'm pissed" in writing.

Did I? I honestly don't remember. Saying f*** isn't that uncommon for me even when not pissed. I don't see it in this thread if I did, and I searched through my post history and don't see it. Here were my initial reactions:

We have Kevin Hayes for 3 years. IS RoR's leadership and Defense not worth $1M more for 1 more year. I'd much rather have RoR for 4 years @ 4.5M than Kevin Hayes for 3 years at $3.6M

Our Captain, Ryan O'Reilly signed for only 1 year and less than a million more with a division rival than we have reamaining on Hayes contract. Now I know why I didn't like this deal

Neither use f*** and both seem rather calm to me. I skimmed through all my posts today, and didn't see a single f***. I looked at my initial reactions to the deal and didn't use f***. So where did I use it twice?

• Haha
Reactions: ScratchCatFever

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Did I? I honestly don't remember. Saying f*** isn't that uncommon for me even when not pissed. I don't see it in this thread if I did, and I searched through my post history and don't see it. Here were my initial reactions:

Neither use f*** and both seem rather calm to me. I skimmed through all my posts today, and didn't see a single f***. I looked at my initial reactions to the deal and didn't use f***. So where did I use it twice?
I think it was someone else who was pissed about it.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think it was someone else who was pissed about it.
Must be someone I had on ignore then. That is my bad for going after @TheOrganist for saying people were pissed. If someone I have on ignore was actually pissed, then he was absolutely within his right to say its not worth getting pissed about. I apologize @TheOrganist for implying you were disparaging me. I literally didn't see anyone else who was complaining about Hayes vs RoR because they were on ignore.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

My bad. Wasn't your post, but another post agreeing with you. That's the one I assumed was being referenced as getting pissed.

Avatars aren't loading on mobile for me so I'm not keeping track of posters very well apparently. Sorry bout that.

I edited my post accordingly.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
You another poster dropped two f bombs in 4 sentences describing your their feelings. That's like the universal way to convey "I'm pissed" in writing.

Sorry but that's most definitely not true. I grew up playing hockey and worked construction. The Fword flows from me like I'm Gordon Ramsey.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Sorry Brian I get where you're coming from with this. But, as a Sailor, once I let one f bomb drop, I can't stop. Whether it being from happiness, anger, pain, or any other emotions.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
That's a little disingenuous. O'Reilly is a year and a few months older than Hayes. Add the extra year on the contract and it is 2 years and a few months difference. Not 3 full years like you imply. Hayes would be 34 before the end of the playoffs.

I guarantee O'Reilly takes care of himself better than Hayes, He;s a vegan that is very selective about what he eats and he is a gym rat. I don't know how well Hayes takes care of himself, but he has been criticized by his coach for his for his work ethic at least once in the past.
Lol what, ROR is a notorious drinker... ask anyone affiliated with the NHL, he literally named his kid Jameson.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Lol what, ROR is a notorious drinker... ask anyone affiliated with the NHL, he literally named his kid Jameson.

Ah yes, a rather ordinary name must definitely mean he's a drunk, get real man.

Saying Vegan and healthy in the same sentence is like an oxymoron.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Ah yes, a rather ordinary name must definitely mean he's a drunk, get real man.

Saying Vegan and healthy in the same sentence is like an oxymoron.
No I mean I’ve literally been told from people that have gone out to lunches or dinner with him over the years lol. I’m not gonna sit here and argue this. But the whole ROR is a harder worker and will be in better shape than hayes into their 30’s narrative is ridiculous based on the fact he’s literally notorious for drinking like a fish, which is fine, I’d probably do the same thing if I were in his shoes. But I’m not gonna act like that couldn’t catch up to him into his mid 30’s, we’ve already seen on firsthand A rather steep decline in his game Since 2020.

I’m happy with the term and AAV on hayes, I’d be less happy with ROR and that contract, even if I do prefer ROR’s defensive and face off prowess right now

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
No I mean I’ve literally been told from people that have gone out to lunches or dinner with him over the years lol. I’m not gonna sit here and argue this. But the whole ROR is a harder worker and will be in better shape than hayes into their 30’s narrative is ridiculous based on the fact he’s literally notorious for drinking like a fish, which is fine, I’d probably do the same thing if I were in his shoes. But I’m not gonna act like that couldn’t catch up to him into his mid 30’s, we’ve already seen on firsthand A rather steep decline in his game Since 2020.

I’m happy with the term and AAV on hayes, I’d be less happy with ROR and that contract, even if I do prefer ROR’s defensive and face off prowess right now

You can drink like a fish and also be one of the healthiest people around because it's based on what you do after you drink. ROR hits the gym, normal guys like us probably? We sleep and then eat some junk food and then sleep some more.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You can drink like a fish and also be one of the healthiest people around because it's based on what you do after you drink. ROR hits the gym, normal guys like us probably? We sleep and then eat some junk food and then sleep some more.
It’s really hard to say. Doctors just don’t know what is good for you. He could have super healthy diet and no drugs or alcohol and still suffer major injury or decline. Or he can go full Keith Tkachuk alumni diet and Brett Hull we went boozing and stay young forever. Hell, Keith Richards is nearly 80 and after lifetime of heroin he is still rocking.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

For the record, I think ROR will absolutely keep himself in good shape going forward because he has a great work ethic. But you are absolutely right that ROR likes to party. I've heard enough during interviews with ex teammates to know that.

Nashville is a pretty fun town and a great music scene, so ROR should fit in well there. I'm guessing he signed there because they offered that 4th year, similar to when Backes went to Boston.

Reactions: Drubilly

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I've never met ROR or talked to anyone who has, but it's pretty clear he's a drinker. He was either driving or riding shotgun in a truck that crashed into a building in the middle of the night and he was intoxicated when contact by police a few blocks away. He was crushing Guinness the night of the Cup win and praised St. Louis for being a town of great drinkers during his parade speech.

But lots of NHLers are drinkers and age just fine. Hull had three 30+ goal seasons (hitting 75+ points in two of them) in his age 36-38 seasons.

Heavy alcohol use will almost always cause some sort of health issue in the long run, but you have to be doing all-day-every-day or regular mutli-day binges for it to hit you in your 30s. 99% of the time, the thing about alcohol that catches up to athletes is that they are playing hungover, eating poorly, not sleeping properly, putting on weight from the calories, etc. So long as you're still putting in the appropriate work, eating the right foods, still sleeping right in-season, etc it shouldn't impact age-related regression.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I've never met ROR or talked to anyone who has, but it's pretty clear he's a drinker. He was either driving or riding shotgun in a truck that crashed into a building in the middle of the night and he was intoxicated when contact by police a few blocks away. He was crushing Guinness the night of the Cup win and praised St. Louis for being a town of great drinkers during his parade speech.

But lots of NHLers are drinkers and age just fine. Hull had three 30+ goal seasons (hitting 75+ points in two of them) in his age 36-38 seasons.

Heavy alcohol use will almost always cause some sort of health issue in the long run, but you have to be doing all-day-every-day or regular mutli-day binges for it to hit you in your 30s. 99% of the time, the thing about alcohol that catches up to athletes is that they are playing hungover, eating poorly, not sleeping properly, putting on weight from the calories, etc. So long as you're still putting in the appropriate work, eating the right foods, still sleeping right in-season, etc it shouldn't impact age-related regression.

I was under the impression the heavy drinking was in his past. I could be wrong. All I heard about during his time with the Blues was healthy eating and gym rat. The Tim Horton's incident was 8 years ago and he'd just turned 24. I rarely drink anymore but drank like a fish in my early 20s. As for the parade......it was a Stanley Cup celebration. Who wasn't drunk? Talk about peer pressure. I don't think thata's an indication of his day to day life. He was always first to the gym/rink. That would be impossibly hard if you were drinking heavy all the time.

Maybe his drinking already had an effect. Maybe he's still drinking and it will have more of an effect. But saying he has already started to go down hill is BS. He was great with Toronto. He was just bad with us this one year cause our whole team sucked.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I was under the impression the heavy drinking was in his past. I could be wrong. All I heard about during his time with the Blues was healthy eating and gym rat. The Tim Horton's incident was 8 years ago and he'd just turned 24. I rarely drink anymore but drank like a fish in my early 20s. As for the parade......it was a Stanley Cup celebration. Who wasn't drunk? Talk about peer pressure. I don't think thata's an indication of his day to day life. He was always first to the gym/rink. That would be impossibly hard if you were drinking heavy all the time.

Maybe his drinking already had an effect. Maybe he's still drinking and it will have more of an effect. But saying he has already started to go down hill is BS. He was great with Toronto. He was just bad with us this one year cause our whole team sucked.

His relative effectiveness gradually decreased every year with the Blues. I wouldn't describe that as going downhill, because there are very particular associations with that. And it's almost certainly due to normal degradation with age/slowing down on top of already not being the quickest. But he's still a damn fine hockey player and is absolutely worth the contract Nashville gave him.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012

He’s literally a 3rd line center now, how could u say he hasn’t regressed lmfao. Is he still a good player? Absolutely, but come on….

Reactions: TheDizee

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He’s literally a 3rd line center now, how could u say he hasn’t regressed lmfao. Is he still a good player? Absolutely, but come on….
He put up .85 ppg with Toronto in a admittedly small sample saize, and ,8 in the playoffs. He put up .74 last year with us. That is more than his career average. He had a bad season with us this year, but so did a lot of guys. His most common linemates were Leivo and Saad. Saad is great defensively but just decent offensively. You aren't going to put up dynamite numbers carrying Leivo around.

Was RoR bad with us this past year? Yeah. Does that mean he declined? Not necessarily. If he was a 3rd line C now, then yes he declined. I disagree. I think he is still a defensively strong 1B/2A which is pretty much what he has been most of his career. He was only a bona fide #1 one year, and thank god he was for us. Next year will be more telling about who was correct. There are just too many other factors going on with the Blues last year for me to write him off yet.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He put up .85 ppg with Toronto in a admittedly small sample saize, and ,8 in the playoffs. He put up .74 last year with us. That is more than his career average. He had a bad season with us this year, but so did a lot of guys. His most common linemates were Leivo and Saad. Saad is great defensively but just decent offensively. You aren't going to put up dynamite numbers carrying Leivo around.

Was RoR bad with us? Yeah. Does that mean he declined? Not necessarily. If he was a 3rd line C now, then yes he declined. I disagree. I think he is still a defensively strong 1B/2A which is pretty much what he has been most of his career. He was only a bona fide #1 one year, and thank god he was for us. Next year will be more telling about who was correct. There are just too many other factors going on with the Blues last year for me to write him off yet.
I think he has clearly declined from where he was in 2019. But he can still be effective as he showed with leafs. I expect predators will be happy with him in first half of his deal. But 4years sure feels like a lot.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I think he has clearly declined from where he was in 2019. But he can still be effective as he showed with leafs. I expect predators will be happy with him in first half of his deal. But 4years sure feels like a lot.

Yeah but that was a career year. Everyone decilines off of their career year. The next two years were among the best of his career. The year after that was better than his career average. It was only this year that he was bad, and only with us.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yeah but that was a career year. Everyone decilines off of their career year. The next two years were among the best of his career. The year after that was better than his career average. It was only this year that he was bad, and only with us.
I honestly didn’t love him last year. Both he and Perron seemed to have slipped despite their production. This year may have been outlier, but there is a lot of miles on him having played heavy nhl minutes since age 18.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

Was RoR bad with us this past year? Yeah. Does that mean he declined? Not necessarily. If he was a 3rd line C now, then yes he declined. I disagree. I think he is still a defensively strong 1B/2A which is pretty much what he has been most of his career. He was only a bona fide #1 one year, and thank god he was for us. Next year will be more telling about who was correct. There are just too many other factors going on with the Blues last year for me to write him off yet.
who cares what he did in toronto, he wont be close to .85 ppg in trashville. ROR is going to be a 40-50 point player for the remainder of this contract. trashville thinks that they are ok with that so congrats to him on it but they are going nowhere with all the dead cap coming their way in the next few years due to buyout of duchenne.

for a guy who claims he loves to win so much, he sure does seem to love signing long term deals with teams in rebuilds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad