Confirmed Trade: [PHI/STL] Brayden Schenn to Blues for Lehtera, the 27th pick and a future 1st rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I just can't see schenn at center. He just isn't a smart player. That's the big reason he couldn't max his potential. I wasn't a big fan of trading schenn at first because he really filled out or top 9 well and we needed to add goals not take them away after last year. Now I like the deal. Teams flat out don't trade firsts anymore. The flyers will likely come away with two quality players for this. It's a minny version of the carter and Richards trades. It's obvious Hextall wants to be sure that we will have forwards in prime years when our likely leage beast murderes row D is ready to go. Can't hate the fact that we are going to have good years of the current centers and good years of the next centers while having a great D and hopefully goaltending.

It's a win for both teams but likely the flyers will come out looking better after the picks come to the NHL, like the carter Richards trades. In those trades we got

Schenn
Simmonds
Cousins
Voracek
Couturier

Frost looks like he could be another late round steal that the flyers are known for and the first next year or the year after will pump back up our leage best prospect pool once we have some graduates. Could help us move up in the draft top but the flyers typically find their guys where they are.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I just can't see schenn at center. He just isn't a smart player. That's the big reason he couldn't max his potential. I wasn't a big fan of trading schenn at first because he really filled out or top 9 well and we needed to add goals not take them away after last year. Now I like the deal. Teams flat out don't trade firsts anymore. The flyers will likely come away with two quality players for this. It's a minny version of the carter and Richards trades. It's obvious Hextall wants to be sure that we will have forwards in prime years when our likely leage beast murderes row D is ready to go. Can't hate the fact that we are going to have good years of the current centers and good years of the next centers while having a great D and hopefully goaltending.

It's a win for both teams but likely the flyers will come out looking better after the picks come to the NHL, like the carter Richards trades. In those trades we got

Schenn
Simmonds
Cousins
Voracek
Couturier

Frost looks like he could be another late round steal that the flyers are known for and the first next year or the year after will pump back up our leage best prospect pool once we have some graduates. Could help us move up in the draft top but the flyers typically find their guys where they are.

Islanders, Jackets, Capitals, Wild, and Coyotes all traded their 1st this year. Flames already traded their 1st next year. Teams will continue to trade their 1sts if it helps bolster their current roster.

I don't know how you can be so sure the Flyers will come out looking better once their picks make it to the NHL. Schenn/Simmonds/Voracek were never drafted by the Flyers, Couturier is good but he was also a top 10 pick, and Cousins was just traded for a 5th. Flyers are solely depending on the two picks to pan out for them to come out ahead in this deal, and their previous transactions aren't really comparable since the only actual player Flyers received in return was Lehtera who is much worse than any of Schenn/Simmonds/Voracek.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Islanders, Jackets, Capitals, Wild, and Coyotes all traded their 1st this year. Flames already traded their 1st next year. Teams will continue to trade their 1sts if it helps bolster their current roster.

I don't know how you can be so sure the Flyers will come out looking better once their picks make it to the NHL. Schenn/Simmonds/Voracek were never drafted by the Flyers, Couturier is good but he was also a top 10 pick, and Cousins was just traded for a 5th. Flyers are solely depending on the two picks to pan out for them to come out ahead in this deal, and their previous transactions aren't really comparable since the only actual player Flyers received in return was Lehtera who is much worse than any of Schenn/Simmonds/Voracek.

I do think that if he can put it together, and he's playing between Tarasenko and Schwartz as was mentioned, he's going to have a career year. I don't think he's ever going to be good on the dot though, which is why i asked if you had wingers that were decent there. You may need to start him on the facoff at wing, and then switch, similar to what Benn and Seguin do occasionally.

That being said, he's not super intelligent, but he can bury the puck if someone can give it to him. Playing with Tank should help that and i wouldnt be surprised to see it happen if they can get the chemistry going. It just never clicked when he played with Giroux and Voracek, which is a shame, because I was hoping he could make a good LW options for them.

As far as the flyers picks go, I dont think the poster you responded to was saying that the flyers picked Schenn, Simmonds, etc. We have a pretty good knack for drawing good talent in the last third of the 1st roung - Giroux, Richards, Simon Gage, Travis Konecny, and theres quite a few others. Our only real 'miss' in a late first rounger since 2000 is Jeff wowyitka, if that helps put it into perspective. I feel comfortable with our scouts in picking that late, for sure.

I'm sure if Schenn catches fire with the Blues everyone will make it out to be like the Blues robbed the Flyers, and I guess thats ok. But the reality is, the traded benefits both teams. Lehtera may suck, but his deal expires when Simmonds does, so it gives us the opportunity to resign him, when, if Schenn was around, we may not have been able to, or it makes it an uncomfortable cap situation since Provorovs ELC is up then too.

I hope the best for Schenn and the Blues, but this deal works for the Flyers now and in the future, as it does for the Blues. Lets cheers to our teams both improving and call it a day. :cheers:

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
Jori Lethera, Morgan Frost and 14 or 15th overall this year (unless Blues win lottery) for Schenn.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think the blues would miss the playoffs when that trade happened. Incredible.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Jori Lethera, Morgan Frost and 14 or 15th overall this year (unless Blues win lottery) for Schenn.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think the blues would miss the playoffs when that trade happened. Incredible.

Thanks for the jinx. Enjoy the 2019 1st and 3rd ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: LI Fly Guy

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
As a Blues fan I still make this trade 10 times out of 10

Same as a flyer fan. Was a good trade for both teams looking back. Blues still can come back strong next year. Got that albatross Lethera off the books. Flyers needed to get Konecny and Patrick on top 6 and needed to start building more forwards for future too. Schenn wanted to be a center as well.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The funny thing is, the Blues actually need to make a similar trade again this summer to get another top 6 center.

Fabbri-X-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Thompson
Steen-Thomas-Berglund

Will likely use Winnipeg's 1st and some of our prospects to acquire a top 6 center. We have a strong pool so we definitely have the assets. Sobotka is also probably a cap dump, whether it's in this deal or a separate one.

This is of course assuming we don't get Tavares. We will go after him I'm sure, but I'm not going to count on that.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Same as a flyer fan. Was a good trade for both teams looking back. Blues still can come back strong next year. Got that albatross Lethera off the books. Flyers needed to get Konecny and Patrick on top 6 and needed to start building more forwards for future too. Schenn wanted to be a center as well.
forget about Konecny and Patrick, look at what the trade did for Sean Couturier.

He was the biggest benefactor of Schenn's exit, and lo and behold Couturier turned into a much better player than Schenn.

Flyers got Morgan Frost (who, as of this moment, would be in strong consideration for Top 15 to Top 10 in a re-draft), a top 15 pick, increased power level for Sean Couturier, Jori Lehtera for Brayden Schenn.

Basically we traded a 65-70 point center and replaced him from within with a younger 65-70 point center + we got 2 1st round picks.

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not sure either is your ideal #1 center, but weren't Fabbri and Schwartz both drafted as Centers?
Yeah but Schwartz is 100% a winger now and a very good one.

As for Fabbri... there's Blues fans that want to see him at center but I'm not one of them. I see him as a winger. And plus, he's coming back from a long stay on the IR due to his knee. I don't think we need to complicate it any more for him and force him into an important role that he hasn't performed at the NHL level yet.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
The funny thing is, the Blues actually need to make a similar trade again this summer to get another top 6 center.

Fabbri-X-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Thompson
Steen-Thomas-Berglund

Will likely use Winnipeg's 1st and some of our prospects to acquire a top 6 center. We have a strong pool so we definitely have the assets. Sobotka is also probably a cap dump, whether it's in this deal or a separate one.

This is of course assuming we don't get Tavares. We will go after him I'm sure, but I'm not going to count on that.
Could always try for Seguin or Duchene next summer too.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
He was the biggest benefactor of Schenn's exit, and lo and behold Couturier turned into a much better player than Schenn.

You would’ve had a hard time finding any flyer fan (that knew what they were talking about) that would’ve said Schenn was ever better than Couturier.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
forget about Konecny and Patrick, look at what the trade did for Sean Couturier.

Flyers got Morgan Frost (who, as of this moment, would be in strong consideration for Top 15 to Top 10 in a re-draft), a top 15 pick, increased power level for Sean Couturier, Jori Lehtera for Brayden Schenn.

Basically we traded a 65-70 point center and replaced him from within with a younger 65-70 point center + we got 2 1st round picks.
Holy Hell, I actually didn't have any clue Schenn reached 70 points until just now.

That's crazy! I don't think a Blues center has hit that threshold in over 20 years.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
You would’ve had a hard time finding any flyer fan (that knew what they were talking about) that would’ve said Schenn was ever better than Couturier.
No doubt, but it always would've circled back to lack of actual point and goal production for Couts.

Because Schenn disappeared, Couturier was given his PP minutes and was given a a push.

I guess my point is that Couts would still be 40 point 15 goal Couts if Schenn still existed on the Flyers.

Reactions: Jtown

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
Not sure either is your ideal #1 center, but weren't Fabbri and Schwartz both drafted as Centers?

I believe Fabbri was but there is no indication that he'll ever play center in the NHL (and that was prior to the ACL injuries). Schwartz I do not believe so, though I could be wrong.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

Fabbri-X-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Thompson
Steen-Thomas-Berglund

Good luck finding a #1 center through a trade. Unless you sign Tavares, it ain't happening

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
No doubt, but it always would've circled back to lack of actual point and goal production for Couts.

Because Schenn disappeared, Couturier was given his PP minutes and was given a a push.

I guess my point is that Couts would still be 40 point 15 goal Couts if Schenn still existed on the Flyers.

I don’t know about that. He went to team over summer and asked for an expanded role offensively. I guess we’ll never know because the team will obviously say he was getting top C minutes regardless now that he just had the season he did.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Good luck finding a #1 center through a trade. Unless you sign Tavares, it ain't happening
All we need is another top 6 center to compliment Schenn, which is exactly the point of my post.

We literally just traded for a 70-point center last summer.

But thanks for your wishes and reassurance that it won't happen. Same season where guys like Turris and Duchene were traded too, lol. That's what the Blues are going to be in the market for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad