Confirmed with Link: [PHI/LA] Vincent Lecavalier & Luke Schenn for Jordan Weal & 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
kingsfan, I looked it up and one article says 300k a year difference, another says it was 100k difference, either way, both numbers are less than 6% of his actual salary..

And I have no issue whatsoever with athletes, or anyone for that matter getting as much as they possibly can. But don't go in front of the media and cry about how much you love a place or a team when you are leaving over such a small amount.

I think Smyth is one of those guys who is extremely protective of his image. The mullet, the old helmet etc. He played the role of the "good old western Canadian farm boy" to perfection, when in reality he was a massive slime ball liar on the level of Alexei Yashin.

But ya, getting back to Vinny, he could have collected an easy $10m (or whatever his actual salary was) from the Flyers and been a healthy scratch these last two seasons and then just retired and moved on with his life. The fact that he was willing to terminate his deal, and has now agreed to retire and give up $5m next season just so he can retire on his terms with a winning team is really telling, gained a ton of respect for this guy. You can tell he loves being here with the Kings and his teammates seem to love him.

Holy cow, that's a brilliant angle really.

And yeah, I give Vinnie a lot of props because even though he's the top earning player EVER leaving any money on the table and a couple more years of hockey JUST for 40 more games + a shot at the cup tells me everything I would need to know about his desire. Even if he came here and stunk up the joint, just going hard makes him a 4th liner.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
So...is it possible that there is a clause in the trade agreement that he MUST retire after this season? If he can keep up SOME of this production and is nails in the playoffs, do you think there's any chance DL keeps him? $2.25 mil (half his cap hit) for a 3rd line C in Vinny is really not that bad.

Would Philly also have to approve this?

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
So...is it possible that there is a clause in the trade agreement that he MUST retire after this season? If he can keep up SOME of this production and is nails in the playoffs, do you think there's any chance DL keeps him? $2.25 mil (half his cap hit) for a 3rd line C in Vinny is really not that bad.

Nope it has been reported that they couldn't do it. Which I'm sure DL would have loved to have it in writing. That extra money would hurt and hurt bad. But if he doesn't do it, both him and his agents word will mean nothing. And that is never a good place to be in. I'd guess he wants to maybe work in hockey someplace. And that would hurt that.
It's great to see him do so well when it was thought he was washed up. But he will follow through on what he has said and retire.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I don't think any agreement more than a verbal agreement can be reached. If VL changes his mind there is nothing the flyers or kings could do.
it would not be the worse thing for LA (and if he keeps up this production I maybe routing for it), it owuld be terrible for the flyers.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
I don't think any agreement more than a verbal agreement can be reached. If VL changes his mind there is nothing the flyers or kings could do.
it would not be the worse thing for LA (and if he keeps up this production I maybe routing for it), it owuld be terrible for the flyers.

IF DL wants to keep VL, I'm sure he'll give Hexy something good in a trade for his trouble. But I doubt it even gets to that point.

It's just great to see him do well now, and you can tell from his interviews and his hustle that he appreciates the opportunity. Hockey Gods will smile upon us and give us that nice little push. Karma, baby.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
That was already asked and answered in this thread. It's in a TSN article posted in this thread as well.

It's all VL's promise to retire. He can change his mind tomorrow and decide to stick around for another year or the full deal if he wishes and there's zilch LA or Philly can do about it.

Well, I guess DL could trade him since I believe the NTC is wiped out once a player is dealt (unless LA elected to keep it as part of the contract, though I don't see why they would).

Either way, if Vinny wants to come back he will.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
The real question is how the cap retention has been agreed to by the teams after this year. It wouldn't need to be the same as this year.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Everyone is like "Ohh, well if he decides there is nothing to be done!"

Really? I mean, maybe legally they can't force a retirement....
But as I said on the mainboard, NOTHING we can do?

You really want to be on the ****list of your boss, your bosses boss, and your bosses bosses boss in a public story that will be heard by every future employer of you ****ing every one over?

Im sure he would get some great minutes if he did, if he was even kept in the NHL.

For a player looking to go out on top, you really think he want to risk being sent to the AHL to warm a bench?

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
I believe him when says he intents to retire. Pulling a Jay Leno and not retiring would be very dishonest of him. This is his chance to go out on a high note rather being buried in the AHL for the remainder of his contact.

Captain Mittens*

I am pretty sure Vinny has been told by a Philly crime family that he will have an accident if he doesn't retire.
They will win a trade at any cost.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I don't think anyone needs to worry about VL. If he came back and DL didn't approve, he could just waive him and assign him to Ontario. I don't think he would be fond of playing in the minors.

Going to the AHL only removes $900,000 of his cap hit, and considering that Philly is taking 50% of the cap hit, I believe that $900,000 is split between LA and Philly. As such he'd still count about $1.8 million against the cap next year if he's in the minors. Add in the corresponding cap hit of whomever they bring in to replace VL and you're better off to just play Vinny.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Nope it has been reported that they couldn't do it. Which I'm sure DL would have loved to have it in writing. That extra money would hurt and hurt bad. But if he doesn't do it, both him and his agents word will mean nothing. And that is never a good place to be in. I'd guess he wants to maybe work in hockey someplace. And that would hurt that.
It's great to see him do so well when it was thought he was washed up. But he will follow through on what he has said and retire.

What better memory than to have Dustin Brown hand you the Cup as your last hockey moment, going out on top as a champion.:yo:

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
What better memory than to have Dustin Brown hand you the Cup as your last hockey moment, going out on top as a champion.:yo:

Brown to Errorhoff to VL…. VL already has a cup… But your point that he could go out on a high note remains...

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
In the meantime, some have wondered if Lecavalier should change his mind on retirement, given how he's playing.

No chance, said Lecavalier. He gave his word to the Kings, and in his heart and mind he's ready to go out after this season. After all, the trade wouldn't have happened otherwise.

"I made that decision," he said. "It gave me a chance to play. In Philadelphia, I probably would not have played another game. I've had two tough years. Just to be able to get a chance to play, and be part of something, being with a good team, for me it's a no-brainer. And at the same time, I think I'll be ready for [retirement], mentally."

Article Link

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
Some fools on the main board will take that last sentence of "...And at the same time, I think I'll be ready for [retirement], mentally." And just focus on the word think to argue he's not really retiring.

I guarantee it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The real question is how the cap retention has been agreed to by the teams after this year. It wouldn't need to be the same as this year.

you cannot just retain for one year of a deal..has to be every year for remainder of contract.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
pretty awesome that we have Bear Grylls on our team
5284-Bear-Grylls-sale.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad