Confirmed with Link: [PHI/LA] Vincent Lecavalier & Luke Schenn for Jordan Weal & 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
F the Flyers fans. Why not just be happy for the guy? It didn't work out in Philly, that happens. It's not like he burned your house down and **** on the ashes.

The name Rob Blake comes to mind.

Winning makes everything easier. The Flyers haven't won in a while. It's a frustrated fan base. 2 out of 3 years outside of the playoffs. Might miss this year. Have to go back a couple decades since anything like that. They've been to the Final probably more times in the last 30, 35, 40 years than any other team that hasn't won the Cup in that time. Probably more times than most Cup winners in that time.

Richards, Carter, now Lecavalier at least starting out well. They can't go out and buy the talent quite like they used to. If the Kings don't have those recent Cups, and we're watching them trade guys who go on to have tremendous success, we're going to make plenty of excuses. It happened enough with just Moulson, Purcell, and Boyle.

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
Well I know how I feel about Jeremy Roenick. Maybe that's how they feel. Couldn't really care less, just thinkin.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Ditto with Columbus fans with Carter

Absolutely not the same thing at all.

Anyways, props to Vinny for turning it around in LA. I really think the system/players they have are insulating him and allowing him to play his game. It's working out for everyone so far though.

just out of curiosity, if he retires, is he able to then re-sign a lower priced contract with that same team? how's that loophole supposed to work? just curious if there's even a possibility on having him play next year with us.

I was thinking about this and my guess is if VL decides he wants to play another year or two, he'll got to DL and tell him he'd like to stay if he'll have him. DL will either say yes, yes but we'll only take you at a lower rate or no we don't want you at all. If DL says he needs a lower cap hit or he doesn't want him, I'd assume VL agrees to terminate his deal which would then make him a free agent. I don't know if terminating his contract (agreed by both parties) and then re-signing with the Kings is allowed.

That was also another thing I was going bring up in one of the cap related thread but I'm curious given the economics of the leave the propensity for players to end up in VL's situation, if they might consider allowing renegotiation of contract in the next CBA. I'd assume there is potential for cap circumvention by doing that but I'm sure they could find away to seal that up. But I'm the furthest thing from a cap expert.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I was thinking about this and my guess is if VL decides he wants to play another year or two, he'll got to DL and tell him he'd like to stay if he'll have him. DL will either say yes, yes but we'll only take you at a lower rate or no we don't want you at all. If DL says he needs a lower cap hit or he doesn't want him, I'd assume VL agrees to terminate his deal which would then make him a free agent. I don't know if terminating his contract (agreed by both parties) and then re-signing with the Kings is allowed.

That was also another thing I was going bring up in one of the cap related thread but I'm curious given the economics of the leave the propensity for players to end up in VL's situation, if they might consider allowing renegotiation of contract in the next CBA. I'd assume there is potential for cap circumvention by doing that but I'm sure they could find away to seal that up. But I'm the furthest thing from a cap expert.

Not allowed. NHL teams can't restructure like in the NFL and they can't get around it by getting cute with wink wink agreements.

If he refuses to retire, Kings and Philly are stuck with his cap hit.

Not allowed. NHL teams can't restructure like in the NFL and they can't get around it by getting cute with wink wink agreements.

If he refuses to retire, Kings and Philly are stuck with his cap hit.

I had either seen or read that prior to the trade to the Kings, Lecavalier was considering agreeing to terminate his contract with the Flyers in hopes he could sign a lower value short term deal so he could play somewhere. This was under the assumption that nobody would trade for him with the remaining years. Now you're saying that scenario is against the rules but I swear it was reported as possibility.

EDIT: Here is the article:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...avalier-could-be-open-to-terminating-contract

There are also a handful of others from the summer time suggesting that as a possibility.

Are you saying the only option for VL is to either play for the Kings (or another team via trade on his existing contract) or to retire? The articles I've read suggest a mutual termination is a possibility. Maybe that precludes him from signing with the Kings? Again, I'm not very knowledgeable with the CBA but I do know that you can't renegotiate a contract and not sure if that is what this constitutes.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
A team that buys out a player cannot re-sign the player. If Philly WOULD have bought him out, he would have been a UFA to everyone but Philly.

If LA buys him out or agrees to a mutual terminations, it's similar to the scenario above. LA can't bring him back

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
just out of curiosity, if he retires, is he able to then re-sign a lower priced contract with that same team? how's that loophole supposed to work? just curious if there's even a possibility on having him play next year with us.

No. I believe he's forced to sit out the remaining length of the contract he retired from, unless they team that owned his contract mutually agreed with the player to terminate the contract. In that case he can sign with anyone but the team that had his contract (LA in this case).

If the Kings don't have those recent Cups, and we're watching them trade guys who go on to have tremendous success, we're going to make plenty of excuses. It happened enough with just Moulson, Purcell, and Boyle.

Not making excuses. No one hated on Purcell, Moulson and Boyle. We questioned leadership, especially DL for letting them go though. In Philly you'd think Vinny personally defiled everyone's daughter and stole UNICEF collection boxes.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I had either seen or read that prior to the trade to the Kings, Lecavalier was considering agreeing to terminate his contract with the Flyers in hopes he could sign a lower value short term deal so he could play somewhere. This was under the assumption that nobody would trade for him with the remaining years. Now you're saying that scenario is against the rules but I swear it was reported as possibility.

EDIT: Here is the article:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...avalier-could-be-open-to-terminating-contract

There are also a handful of others from the summer time suggesting that as a possibility.

Are you saying the only option for VL is to either play for the Kings (or another team via trade on his existing contract) or to retire? The articles I've read suggest a mutual termination is a possibility. Maybe that precludes him from signing with the Kings? Again, I'm not very knowledgeable with the CBA but I do know that you can't renegotiate a contract and not sure if that is what this constitutes.

If DL wanted to bring back Richards at the league minimum this season, he would not of been able to as it is obvious cap circumvention. I'm not one of those guys who can cite the portion of the CBA so, you know, just trust me on it haha.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Tells you what kind of competitor that Lecavalier is, he was willing to give up millions to go out on his terms and get a chance to play. The opposite of a clown like Ryan Smyth who made a fool of himself by crying at a press conference because he wouldn't lower his demands by 200k a year.

If DL wanted to bring back Richards at the league minimum this season, he would not of been able to as it is obvious cap circumvention. I'm not one of those guys who can cite the portion of the CBA so, you know, just trust me on it haha.

it's in section c. u. later.

I'm not really worried because the Kings have no room for him so he'll likely play 5 more months with the Kings and retire or play somewhere else.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Tells you what kind of competitor that Lecavalier is, he was willing to give up millions to go out on his terms and get a chance to play. The opposite of a clown like Ryan Smyth who made a fool of himself by crying at a press conference because he wouldn't lower his demands by 200k a year.

I believe it was $100,000 actually, but whatever, same point. Smyth is a ********

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
I hope Smyth's family is finally safe from all the gangs in Manhattan Beach. That must have been so frightening for them to live in such a scary place.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
smyth_crying_640.jpg

smyth.jpg

1297174938361_ORIGINAL.jpg

giphy.gif

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Our playoff avatars this year should be Terminator. This board has an equal reputation to Skynet.

1st slide is picture of Vinny scoring tying goal with the caption "unsustainable shooting %"
2nd slide is Lombardi's head on Arnold's body
3rd slide is first picture with a large red "TERMINATED" stamp over it.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
kingsfan, I looked it up and one article says 300k a year difference, another says it was 100k difference, either way, both numbers are less than 6% of his actual salary..

And I have no issue whatsoever with athletes, or anyone for that matter getting as much as they possibly can. But don't go in front of the media and cry about how much you love a place or a team when you are leaving over such a small amount.

I think Smyth is one of those guys who is extremely protective of his image. The mullet, the old helmet etc. He played the role of the "good old western Canadian farm boy" to perfection, when in reality he was a massive slime ball liar on the level of Alexei Yashin.

But ya, getting back to Vinny, he could have collected an easy $10m (or whatever his actual salary was) from the Flyers and been a healthy scratch these last two seasons and then just retired and moved on with his life. The fact that he was willing to terminate his deal, and has now agreed to retire and give up $5m next season just so he can retire on his terms with a winning team is really telling, gained a ton of respect for this guy. You can tell he loves being here with the Kings and his teammates seem to love him.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
1st slide is picture of Vinny scoring tying goal with the caption "unsustainable shooting %"
2nd slide is Lombardi's head on Arnold's body
3rd slide is first picture with a large red "TERMINATED" stamp over it.

Made these a while back...

19398400835_28afb1f93e.jpg

19250228396_211136aaed.jpg

Captain Mittens*

Re: Moulson, Purcell, Boyle

Moulson didn't perform here. He was great next to Taveres, but hasn't done much since.

Purcell didn't perform here and was a one time 20 goal scorer.

Boyle asked to be traded. He wanted to play on the East Coast and be by his big ass family. Other than score against us, Boyle hasn't done much.

All three of these are way overblown.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Moulson didn't perform here. He was great next to Taveres, but hasn't done much since.

Boyle asked to be traded. He wanted to play on the East Coast and be by his big ass family. Other than score against us, Boyle hasn't done much.

He also didn't do anything to keep himself on the team.He played slow, his board work sucked and he played soft. It really took a good kick in the ass by Torts telling him his spot was up for grabs for him to wake up and get his game in shape.

Captain Mittens*

He also didn't do anything to keep himself on the team.He played slow, his board work sucked and he played soft. It really took a good kick in the ass by Torts telling him his spot was up for grabs for him to wake up and get his game in shape.

This too.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Fast fact to keep this all Lecavalier related. We trade Boyle for a 3rd and who did we get for that 3rd?

Weal.

Thread back on topic. You're welcome.

lxLhfNl.gif

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
It's not even a system that masks weaknesses. It's about a system and players who are responsible and typically are on a spot on the ice where they're supposed to be.

VL said as much when he was interviewed after his first game or two as a King, and said that it was nice to be on a team where people weren't "all over the place".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad