Contract Termination: [PHI] Flyers place F Lukas Sedlak on unconditional waivers (Cleared)

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Going from Czechia to the US is already a big transition.

Going from the opportunity of reigning SC champion to inevitable basement dweller with a hardass coach seems like something that could put things over the edge in terms of homesickness.

I'm speaking in generalities, and purely off of my own inferences, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sedlak's "reason" isn't too far from this.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He didn’t seem to be doing too bad within the confines of his role? :dunno: Just stats watching tho. Hopefully there’s nothing bad on the home front pulling him back.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
This is shocking! He was getting good minutes and doing well to my eye. I thought leaving Colorado was a good thing for him and that he was having a nice season.

I'm really curious what the reason is.

Reactions: Chainshot

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Going from the opportunity of reigning SC champion to inevitable basement dweller with a hardass coach seems like something that could put things over the edge in terms of homesickness.

I'm speaking in generalities, and purely off of my own inferences, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sedlak's "reason" isn't too far from this.
Well he played for Torts before so coming to th USA and playing for Torts isn't new to him. Torts liked him and he seems to have been playing his role. A 4th liner doing 10 minutes a game. In fact, it looked like he was on pace to have a career best season in the NHL this year.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Well he played for Torts before so coming to th USA and playing for Torts isn't new to him. Torts liked him and he seems to have been playing his role. A 4th liner doing 10 minutes a game. In fact, it looked like he was on pace to have a career best season in the NHL this year.

I wasn't aware of him having played for Tortorella before. That's interesting.

I could be mostly to entirely wrong on the reason.

JlindiesANA

Dec 15, 2022

One of us is going to talk to em. We have a easy going coach that is Eakins. Or Chicago…. He’s not down for dead yet. I imagine Verbeek is discussing things already. Some players just don’t develop well with a hard ass. And I don’t like Torts because of that

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not the first guy this year to step away from what he views as a grind and prioritizing what he finds most important. Good on him. I wish I had done that in my 20's. And 30's. And 40's...

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I wasn't aware of him having played for Tortorella before. That's interesting.

I could be mostly to entirely wrong on the reason.
He was in Columbus when Torts coached here. Torts liked his work ethic and he was a really good 4th liner at first. He eventually got squeezed out the lineup and went back to Europe but I recall him being a guy Torts liked quite a bit. Its probably why Philly claimed him when he became available.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Not the first guy this year to step away from what he views as a grind and prioritizing what he finds most important. Good on him. I wish I had done that in my 20's. And 30's. And 40's...
I think the last couple years have made people really consider what's important and what's not. That's the one good thing to come out of the pandemic.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the last couple years have made people really consider what's important and what's not. That's the one good thing to come out of the pandemic.

Another player who stepped away recently was Riley Sheahan and he's been frank about wanting to spend time with family instead of the sort of travel to chase a few more NHL games. He, his wife and new baby are off to Switzerland to play in the NL and he's happier/content with it. I know I wouldn't trade memories of my kids first months for anything even if I did a lot of work to support them and my ex in the best way I thought I could at the time. Sedlak mentioning his fiance and parents, I hear that - be with the people who you care about.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Another player who stepped away recently was Riley Sheahan and he's been frank about wanting to spend time with family instead of the sort of travel to chase a few more NHL games. He, his wife and new baby are off to Switzerland to play in the NL and he's happier/content with it. I know I wouldn't trade memories of my kids first months for anything even if I did a lot of work to support them and my ex in the best way I thought I could at the time. Sedlak mentioning his fiance and parents, I hear that - be with the people who you care about.
Having a newborn myself, I sympathize with Sheahan because I find spending five minutes away from him tough.

• Love
Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad